Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I expected a post like this and yet it's still rather funny despite.

No. The Oilers are still a team on the rise and it's too early to evaluate McDavid in that context.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Looked like mason Raymond out there. Lots if speed but all perimeter. Nowhere near Inthe same realm as Sidney Crosby. Kesler was able to shut him down.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
He was great. Faced way tighter defensive play then he's use to and needed time to adapt to that. Anyone who watched the games knew he was great.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I was surprised to see how much the Kesler line dominated McDavid's in terms of possession. I'm sure he'll have better showings in the future though.

tmunnuch

Jan 23, 2007
I think he had an OK playoffs. He wasn't dominant but he was definitely dangerous. I actually think he needs to hold on to the puck a little more, and use his skating to open up lanes a bit more. Like, he'd make good passes, but if he kept the puck and drove the play and try to get shots himself he'd be more dangerous. It would open everything up a bit.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He'll learn from this and get better, it's not even that he was bad, just not superhuman.

He also had scrutiny arguably no player that young has in a playoff round, he was basically shadowed for two series', most teams don't shadow a 20 year old with zero playoff experience.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Knew this thread would pop up. A couple bounces go his way, his teammates pot some of his nice setups and he easily ends up around a ppg and none of the boxscore watcher criticize him. Didn't have a great game 7, but overall was fine in the playoffs, not great, but not at all bad.

In any case, it is waaayyyy too early to judge. 13 games sample size is nothing, is Letestu better than McDavid?

snag

Feb 22, 2014
100 points in the season and invisible in the playoffs. Yeah I get he's been "shadowed" the whole playoffs and he has a few points but he's done nothing of note. Out shined by Leon Draisaitl, Getzlaf, Pavelski etc.

He's great on the rush but only average when in the zone. Does he need to bulk up and play a Crosby style game?

seriously? this was his first playoffs

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
I'm sure fhis question was asked after Crosby failed to carry his team to the WCF during his sophomore year, right?

Don't ever change HFBoards, don't ever change.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
McDavid is so good and fast that he routinely catches players taking a nap in the regular season and burns them.

The problem is that no takes a nap in the playoffs, everyone is dialed in and focused.

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Knew this thread would pop up. A couple bounces go his way, his teammates pot some of his nice setups and he easily ends up around a ppg and none of the boxscore watcher criticize him. Didn't have a great game 7, but overall was fine in the playoffs, not great, but not at all bad.

In any case, it is waaayyyy too early to judge. 13 games sample size is nothing, is Letestu better than McDavid?

Watched every game besides one and McDavid was just invisible. He needs to work on his grinding game. He can't just lug the puck from center ice all day in the playoffs.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
GUYS. McDavid literally just had a 100 point season. 9 points in 13 playoff games is NOT good after putting up those kinds of regular season numbers. Him being young is not an excuse. The game is basically full of all young players now, and plenty of stars have put up great playoff numbers when they were young. He's their captain, their best offensive player, but he wasn't there for them offensively in this postseason.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
He'll learn from this and get better, it's not even that he was bad, just not superhuman.

He also had scrutiny arguably no player that young has in a playoff round, he was basically shadowed for two series', most teams don't shadow a 20 year old with zero playoff experience.

Interesting how many goals the Oilers scored in the playoffs with McDavid on the ice, but that he didn't register a point on. Have to think that has a lot to do with how much special attention he was getting from the other team.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
he is going to win at least 1 cup in the next 10 years, you can count on it

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
He was great. Faced way tighter defensive play then he's use to and needed time to adapt to that. Anyone who watched the games knew he was great.

No, he really wasn't anything close to great. Anyone who actually watched the games knows that.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is the Gaudreau thread part 2 and it's even more stupid. Kesler/Cogliano might be the best defensive line in the league and McDavid still looked dangerous to me almost all the time. He gets a few bounces and nobody says this.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Oiler fans were chest thumping McDavid's playoff performance over Matthews but we just saw why Matthews will always be in the conversation with McDavid when it comes to playoff success.

McDavid might be a better point producer but Matthews is stronger, a better goal scorer and better two-way. McDavid is still a better player but he won't be more successful based on that alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad