Connor McDavid Playing With His PCL Torn In Half

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Connor McDavid is not an idiot. He's actually a very smart guy. I have no doubt that he carefully weighed all the information available to him and made the decision that seemed most sensible. I trust his judgement.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Rehabbing the injury the way he did was riskier in that it may have not have healed properly at all. The reconstruction surgery (that he didn't opt for) would've forever changed how his knee functioned with a higher likelihood of future complications because of that.

Of course, you never know what will happen. That's life. But we'll see, and at least he seems fine now. Impossible to predict the future no matter how healthy you are. It looks like it was the best out of two bad options.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Usually, but it sounds like they did their research as to what would be quicker to get him back out there.
From what I’m reading it’s less about what would get him back out their quicker and more about what will have the longer term impact on his career.

Sounds like the PCL surgery would have potentially significant impacts on his mobility and stride. More so than the rehab he did.

But hey I’m no doctor. Not even close. I know as much as anyone here.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Connor McDavid is not an idiot. He's actually a very smart guy. I have no doubt that he carefully weighed all the information available to him and made the decision that seemed most sensible. I trust his judgement.

not that I disagree with this, he very well may have made the best decision but just cause he’s a great hockey player doesn’t mean he’s a genius, I mean I’d bet he’s not as book smart as a lot of people with the amount of hockey he’s had to play, plus when your the best like him you want to play no matter what. I think quite often us regular people give super athletes way to much credit for other aspects of life. They are human, just seems like you are trusting his judgement cause he is super good and smart at hockey.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Actually, there are actual doctors over in the Oilers board that are saying that if it was fully torn, it can't heal on its own. Of course, they don't know for sure whether it was 100% torn or not I guess. But apparently if it is 100% torn, there is no way for it to heal on it's own, outside of surgery. But hey, I'm just relaying information here, those guys could be wrong as well I suppose.
I was told by a doctor that it is possible for an ACL to heal itself, but very rare. This could be the case for PCL as well.

But either way, normal scenario is that surgery is required to regrow the ligament.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
not that I disagree with this, he very well may have made the best decision but just cause he’s a great hockey player doesn’t mean he’s a genius, I mean I’d bet he’s not as book smart as a lot of people with the amount of hockey he’s had to play, plus when your the best like him you want to play no matter what. I think quite often us regular people give super athletes way to much credit for other aspects of life. They are human, just seems like you are trusting his judgement cause he is super good and smart at hockey.
Scholastic player of the year 2014, Sup, brah?

Reactions: McRpro and Ed Wood

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Playoffs>>>health
I know he loves getting the Art ross, but the playoffs are more important and a team achievement is better for everyone.
I was being sarcastic because nothing is worth your health. Without health what do we have?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Come on....I dislike the Oiler's as much as anyone, but targeting a guys injured knee is about as low as you can get.

You have to wonder why they even released this? Wouldn't you keep this under wraps?

Is the team so desperate for attention that they need to make a documentary on exactly where McDavid is now vulnerable?

Of course, the Oilers are the kings of documenting their every step.

It's about the win at the end of the day, if someone is injured somewhere, then you target that part of their body and render them ineffective.

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
NHL really needs to protect their stars. I know hockey is a speed, contact league but you shouldn't be injured because of a stupid reckless player taking out your legs while going full tilt. McDavid has twice been long termed injured because of his speed and dumb players doing dumb things against him.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Thought he might adjust his game after the first incident, but really didn't. This one was a bit more sobering and he realized now there is no protection from the league on these reckless plays

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Just because you aren't a doctor doesn't mean you cant read medical studies such as those that were registered with the National Institute of Health (NIH U.S. Government) or any other public record.

For example:

Long-term results of posterior cruciate ligament tear with or without reconstruction: A nationwide, population-based cohort study

- from Oct 2018

Conclusion

In the present study, we found that patients with PCL tears have a significantly higher risk of meniscus tear, arthritis and TKR than matched peers without PCL tears. Patients who had undergone PCL reconstruction had a decreased incidence of meniscus tear, OA (Osteoarthritis) and TKR (Total Knee Replacement) surgery compared with patients who were treated conservatively. We further observed that patients who underwent reconstruction within 1 year after PCL injury experienced a significant protective effect against these poor prognoses. The results of this study can provide a baseline of expectations for the future development of meniscal injury and arthritis following PCL injury with and without PCL reconstruction.

Last edited:

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Absolute beast. Idc how much luck, dedication, and praying it took but thank **** it has worked out just fine. I still feel slightly robbed as a fan when I think of Crosby and his health issues.

Navx94

Sponsor
Jan 17, 2019
Shame a dog shit dman that can’t accept the fact he’s slower than 90% of guys in the league almost ruined the best player in the world.

Anahome

Oct 5, 2019
After these comments I feel sorry for Giordano. Shouldn't McDavid slow down to not put in the risk his own health and others? Hockey will be safier. This is one of the measures NHl can take, limit the speed on the ice, make players use speedometers and issue speed tickets to those who violates the traffic rule.

Reactions: MaWa and JBear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad