Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VI: Hart, Ross and Lindsay Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Its not something that would be ideal over the long term, but it is something I would be willing to try for a period here and there. If only it because throws a wrench into opposition game plans.

RNH-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Rieder-Brodziak-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Khaira-Aberg

All the other lines should be able to hold their own. I'm happy enough with the 4th line, and Rieder-Brodziak actually gives you a defensive duo for when the situation calls for it.

The second line isn't ideal, but it should be able to cycle, helping to build some momentum and wear down defences (which provides a nice set up for the top line).

As said, you can't do this consistantly as it becomes too easy to game plan against; but as an ajustment for those "going into the 3rd period down by one or two" situations, I like it.

It doesn't really change much for the opposition. They're already putting their best out against McDavid's line. What it does do is make the other matchups even easier because you're basically throwing your second and third lines out against what amounts to one of three Oilers fourth lines.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
McDavid actually had a lower than career average on ice shooting percentage at ES this year. Despite that, he scored 84 even strength points.

It's going to be very interesting to see where his point totals would climb if he suddenly had one of those crazy years with inflated oish% and hot powerplay. He hasn't had even a slightly lucky year yet, which is unbelievable because high point finishes in the league these days correlate highly with great puck luck.

Reactions: TB12

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
McDavid actually had a lower than career average on ice shooting percentage at ES this year. Despite that, he scored 84 even strength points.

It's going to be very interesting to see where his point totals would climb if he suddenly had one of those crazy years with inflated oish% and hot powerplay. He hasn't had even a slightly lucky year yet, which is unbelievable because high point finishes in the league these days correlate highly with great puck luck.

Agreed. When you got to the high danger scoring areas that Mcdavid does consistently, it's no longer about luck. That's just pure skill.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
He is creating chances like there is no tomorrow. When we have working PP, supporting offense from D and 97 gets some puck luck with decent wingers (RNH is one), he can put four goals per game and is embarrassed to put fifth into the open net.

As good as Connor is, he is just getting better and hopefully Oilers can surround him with good enough players (one offensive RHD playing 24-28 minutes per game, Larsson dropping to second pair and eating toughest minutes and one decent RW with shoot first mentality).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He is creating chances like there is no tomorrow. When we have working PP, supporting offense from D and 97 gets some puck luck with decent wingers (RNH is one), he can put four goals per game and is embarrassed to put fifth into the open net.

As good as Connor is, he is just getting better and hopefully Oilers can surround him with good enough players (one offensive RHD playing 24-28 minutes per game, Larsson dropping to second pair and eating toughest minutes and one decent RW with shoot first mentality).
We already saw his game evolve last year where he started to find ways to do it himself. The sky is the limit with him, and I still think a line of Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi in the future would be absolute money. All 3 of them are quick with good sticks so it will be an endless shift of pressuring puck carriers and creating turnovers that can go the other way in a hurry. Excited to see what McDavid's game will look like once Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Bouchard develop, and hopefully another player or two from the prospect pool we've been building (even Bear's breakout pass on the bottom pair felt like a godsend at the end of last season).

Figured I'd include one of my favourite McDavid clips which is even sweeter now because he owns 2 Flames players (Hanifin and Lindholm) at the same time.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think playing with Nuge was what finally put him over the top this year. Funny thing is every one thought he was so good with Maroon and a few others. Realistically any one playing with him will look decent. They finally realized he needs some one else who is speedy and skilled.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think playing with Nuge was what finally put him over the top this year. Funny thing is every one thought he was so good with Maroon and a few others. Realistically any one playing with him will look decent. They finally realized he needs some one else who is speedy and skilled.
The stats are definitely hard to ignore. 27 points in 13 games with Nuge followed by 17 points in 10 games at the WC's with Nuge.

Sample is still too small for me to be claiming that this duo will take McDavid to the next level (i.e. 120+ points), but it will certainly be interesting to follow.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
The stats are definitely hard to ignore. 27 points in 13 games with Nuge followed by 17 points in 10 games at the WC's with Nuge.

Sample is still too small for me to be claiming that this duo will take McDavid to the next level (i.e. 120+ points), but it will certainly be interesting to follow.

He was healthy and enjoyed playing. That is huge difference for October - November when he was sick most of the time.
It is up to McLellan to figure out how he can get most out of best player on planet. If he will let RNH play at McDavid wing and finds someone working well with those two, we are in a good position. Then opposing teams have to put all they got to stop our 1st line. That eases Draisaitl’s role as his coverage will be a bit less. I expect we have decent wingers for second line too. They just all can’t be that bad two seasons a row... some of them will raise their game to level needed at top6.

Reactions: Aerrol

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Lucic, Eberle and even Hall would like a word with you.

To succeed with McDavid you need to know how to get open and also play a give and go.

Lucic struggles because he's not a guy that excels at getting open. He's a chase the puck, go to the net, and take several bodies with you kind of guy. It can be effective, but not with McDavid. In contrast, Maroon is actually pretty good at sneaking out of the play and appearing at the back door for an easy tap in. A good trait to have with McDavid.

Hall has never done well with another that like to control the puck. He struggled with McDavid, similar to how he struggled with Hemsky at the start of his career.

Eberle's the odd one, as in a lot of ways he's similar to RNH. Though they played with two very different McDavids. With Ebs, he was the shooter and McDavid was the playmaker; In RNH's case, he's the silent assassin doing the little things to open up the ice for McDavid. I think if you had Nuge in a shooter's role and mindset, it would have also failed.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Eberle's the odd one, as in a lot of ways he's similar to RNH. Though they played with two very different McDavids. With Ebs, he was the shooter and McDavid was the playmaker; In RNH's case, he's the silent assassin doing the little things to open up the ice for McDavid. I think if you had Nuge in a shooter's role and mindset, it would have also failed.
Eberle seemed to never get there, iirc. Which, I agree, didn't make any sense, but that was the issue when he and McDavid played together on the regular. Nuge seems to get there, and Maroon is just smart about being in the right spot.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Eberle seemed to never get there, iirc. Which, I agree, didn't make any sense, but that was the issue when he and McDavid played together on the regular. Nuge seems to get there, and Maroon is just smart about being in the right spot.
Eberle's inability to finish scoring chances his last year here is still mind boggling to me. He got so many chances to score, but his finishing ability of years past seemed to completely dry up. He'd flub dekes that he normally does in his sleep, he'd miss the net or hit the goalie in the chest from prime shooting areas where he used to pick corners. Really doesn't make much sense given that he scored at a 30 goal pace the season before with McDavid.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

For comparison's sake, did he not have similar rates for long periods of time with Drai? My instinct is just that he plays well with talent.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
For comparison's sake, did he not have similar rates for long periods of time with Drai? My instinct is just that he plays well with talent.
He did have a 24P in 13GP to end the season prior with Drai so it could just be he finished the ends of seasons hot.

I don't disagree with your instincts that he plays well with talent, but that bodes well for us if he can play as well or better with Nuge compared to Draisaitl because Drai can carry a 2nd line with mediocre wingers better than Nuge can.

Either way can't be unhappy with a GF/60 of 4.93 and GF% of 65.38% at 5v5 when those two are together. Only 207 minutes so still a small sample, but promising to say the least.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Lucic, Eberle and even Hall would like a word with you.

To succeed with McDavid you need to know how to get open and also play a give and go.

Lucic struggles because he's not a guy that excels at getting open. He's a chase the puck, go to the net, and take several bodies with you kind of guy. It can be effective, but not with McDavid. In contrast, Maroon is actually pretty good at sneaking out of the play and appearing at the back door for an easy tap in. A good trait to have with McDavid.

Hall has never done well with another that like to control the puck. He struggled with McDavid, similar to how he struggled with Hemsky at the start of his career.

I disagree 100%. first Ebs and lucic are not fast, so they wouldn't care to have a word with me.

A line of

Hall-McD-Nuge

Would have lit the world on fire. Hall never had a enough time with McD to get chemistry. If those 3 were together they would set the NHL on fire. I would be epic to watch. Sad we will never see it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I disagree 100%. first Ebs and lucic are not fast, so they wouldn't care to have a word with me.

A line of

Hall-McD-Nuge

Would have lit the world on fire. Hall never had a enough time with McD to get chemistry. If those 3 were together they would set the NHL on fire. I would be epic to watch. Sad we will never see it.

I am less convinced that Hall would be the right guy for McDavid. Hall is most effective when he has the puck on is stick a lot. He's also not a quick give and go guy but rather someone who wants to carry the puck. Both Nuge and Leon can play give and go which works very well with McDavid. If he is on the ice he should have the puck.

Reactions: MisterD

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I am less convinced that Hall would be the right guy for McDavid. Hall is most effective when he has the puck on is stick a lot. He's also not a quick give and go guy but rather someone who wants to carry the puck. Both Nuge and Leon can play give and go which works very well with McDavid. If he is on the ice he should have the puck.

Agreed. Both Hall and McDavid are drivers and want the puck on their sticks. I think they would've been better served to drive their own respective lines.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
How well McDavid has done at ES over the past 3 seasons in terms of his Pts/60 stats...

ES McDavid Pts/60 while playing with all current Oilers:

Aberg 5.41 pts/60
RNH 5.24 pts/60
Rattie 4.86 pts/60
Caggiula 4.33 pts/60
Larsson 3.98 pts/60
Klefbom 3.94 pts/60
Draisaitl 3.38 pts/60
Benning 3.37 pts/60
Kassian 3.32 pts/60
Puljujarvi 3.30 pts/60
Nurse 3.14 pts/60
Sekera 2.90 pts/60
Strome 2.74 pts/60
Lucic 2.56 pts/60
Russell 2.52 pts/60
Bear 2.46 pts/60
Khaira 1.96 pts/60
Yamamoto 1.71 pts/60

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
How well McDavid has done at ES over the past 3 seasons in terms of his Pts/60 stats...

ES McDavid Pts/60 while playing with all current Oilers:

Aberg 5.41 pts/60
RNH 5.24 pts/60
Rattie 4.86 pts/60
Caggiula 4.33 pts/60
Larsson 3.98 pts/60
Klefbom 3.94 pts/60
Draisaitl 3.38 pts/60
Benning 3.37 pts/60
Kassian 3.32 pts/60
Puljujarvi 3.30 pts/60
Nurse 3.14 pts/60
Sekera 2.90 pts/60
Strome 2.74 pts/60
Lucic 2.56 pts/60
Russell 2.52 pts/60
Bear 2.46 pts/60
Khaira 1.96 pts/60
Yamamoto 1.71 pts/60

Would it be crazy to try Aberg on the top PP with his right shot instead of Strome, which has been proposed (over guys like JP)?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
It's unfathomable just how much better McDavid is than anyone else in the league at 5vs5 offense. He has the potential to make what Crosby and Ovechkin have achieved individually look puny in comparison.

upload_2018-7-20_20-24-33.png

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Meh, they would evolve. The thing is both could have the puck on their stick lots. If they were a line the Oilers would always have the puck.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Would it be crazy to try Aberg on the top PP with his right shot instead of Strome, which has been proposed (over guys like JP)?

I think it's certainly worth trying... anything to potentially get that PP going is worth trying.

At evens they need to find another good winger for McDavid as well... even though McDavid can produce with almost everyone... he obviously does better with certain types of players than others.

Small samples yes, but I hope they continue to try the RNH-McDavid-(Rattie/Aberg) combos and see if there really might be some solid chemistry there.

Rattie and Aberg are both in that same category where they are basically looking at their last chances to stick at the NHL level... and if they can play a simple game and use their abilities to help finish plays that McDavid creates... I see no reason they can't be solid contributors on that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad