Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part V: Super Sophomore

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Remember last season how many times he gifted a linemate who couldn't cash in, or wasn't even prepared? If he can really click with someone he'll be well beyond a point per game.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I didn't say that...I'm saying he's not an offensive defenseman that generates points.

not say he can't be more than he is cause I think he'll get more PP time here but the guy isn't going to be a 35+ point defenseman a la Giordano, Brodie, Barrie, Karlsson etc..

Well in your original post you said we don't have a puck mover who can transition the puck to Connor to let him do his thing. I suppose thats not what you meant, but its what you said so thats how I responded. Larsson can definitely do that, but you're right he doesn't have a huge shot, or incredible skating or offensive instincts in the offensive zone like those Dmen do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Remember last season how many times he gifted a linemate who couldn't cash in, or wasn't even prepared? If he can really click with someone he'll be well beyond a point per game.
Could be why Eberle is working on one-timers this year.

It's tough though. We saw it with Hemsky were often as well. When you think the game the way these guys do it becomes hard for others to figure out. Although I think what we are going to see with McDavid is he will have to figure out what guys are going to do before he does his thing.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well in your original post you said we don't have a puck mover who can transition the puck to Connor to let him do his thing. I suppose thats not what you meant, but its what you said so thats how I responded. Larsson can definitely do that, but you're right he doesn't have a huge shot, or incredible skating or offensive instincts in the offensive zone like those Dmen do.

I also said we have no offense from our defense (Sekera being the best)
just look at the highest scoring teams last year: all had defenseman getting huge points (Klingberg in Dallas, Carlson and Niskanen in Washington, Letang in Pitt, Burns in SJ etc...)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I also said we have no offense from our defense (Sekera being the best)
just look at the highest scoring teams last year: all had defenseman getting huge points (Klingberg in Dallas, Carlson and Niskanen in Washington, Letang in Pitt, Burns in SJ etc...)

I wasn't addressing that part of your post, just the portion about Larsson not being able to distribute the puck to McDavid.

As for that portion, I wouldn't be surprised is Klefbom brings more offence than Sekera did last year if he can remain healthy. Feel pretty confident that he would have had something around 10G-25-30A-35-40P last season if he played all year.

We'll see. I don't think we have any 60P offensive studs anywhere near NHL ready (if ever), but I do think we'll have 3 or 4 D that can be in the 20-40P range next season if they're all healthy. (Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera, Davidson).

Edit: just to nitpick, including Niskanen on that list is kind of humorous. He's basically Sekera offensively and I doubt he'll ever touch that 46P season he had in his contract year in Pittsburgh, much like I doubt that Sekera will touch his 44P season in Carolina.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Could be why Eberle is working on one-timers this year.

It's tough though. We saw it with Hemsky were often as well. When you think the game the way these guys do it becomes hard for others to figure out. Although I think what we are going to see with McDavid is he will have to figure out what guys are going to do before he does his thing.

Eberle has a high offensive hockey IQ, he puts himself in good spots to receive passes which will be the big thing with playing with mcdavid, always gotta be ready for him to pass the puck even though it seems like it's impossible to get through

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
I hope so but I think 100 is still a bit too optimistic this early in his career.

If he stays healthy I think 85-90 is what you get.

Crosby won the art ross in year 2 with 120 points. I know scoring is down, but I also feel McDavid is that good, I believe he will break 100.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007

He also had a ton of breakaways that he didn't score on. If he can stay healthy he should easily be a ppg player.
With improved line mates and a full season he could have the best season of any Oiler since Dougie Weight.
Hopefully the injury bug we have experienced forever ends with the new arena. He's going to look great with the C on his chest

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I predict that McDavid will score exactly 38+65=103 points in 82 games.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

96P/82GP pace, whatever his actual games played settles at who knows. Hasn't played a full season in a while

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
96P/82GP pace, whatever his actual games played settles at who knows. Hasn't played a full season in a while

Huh? You know the OHL only plays 68 games right? His rookie year he played 63 of 68 (only 2 players on his team played all 68). His 2nd season he played 56 games while playing in the WJC's which caused him to miss a good portion of those (for reference, Hall played 57 in his draft year when playing in the WJC's, Tavares 59 in his draft year, Kane 58 in his draft year). I sure hope you're not going to hold a freak accident from punching the glass in a fight in his draft year + going to the WJC's after as him being injury prone. Aside from that his only real injury was the clavicle last season.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Huh? You know the OHL only plays 68 games right? His rookie year he played 63 of 68 (only 2 players on his team played all 68). His 2nd season he played 56 games while playing in the WJC's which caused him to miss a good portion of those (for reference, Hall played 57 in his draft year when playing in the WJC's, Tavares 59 in his draft year, Kane 58 in his draft year). I sure hope you're not going to hold a freak accident from punching the glass in a fight in his draft year + going to the WJC's after as him being injury prone. Aside from that his only real injury was the clavicle last season.

wasn't calling him injury prone, just trying to set out realistic expectations based on the past couple of seasons. I won't bet on Klefbom playing 80 games, despite a staff infection being one freak thing. I hope he plays 82 games but not going to say it'll happen until it happens. Same with the oilers making the playoffs

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
wasn't calling him injury prone, just trying to set out realistic expectations based on the past couple of seasons. I won't bet on Klefbom playing 80 games, despite a staff infection being one freak thing. I hope he plays 82 games but not going to say it'll happen until it happens. Same with the oilers making the playoffs

Klefbom I can understand the concern because he's actually had a few minor injuries and one major one over the past 5 years. McDavid has had one actual injury from a hockey play (that is unless you expect him to be fighting in the NHL) so I really don't think its realistic to expect that he won't be healthy all year (If he plays 75 or more games I'd consider that a healthy season for the NHL).

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
To tease you a bit, good to see you've upped your expectations of McJesus from "miles below the rest of HFOil" to "somewhat below the rest of HFOil" ;)

well, i've seen what he can do for one season, so i'm a believer now.... i just don't think he'll stay healthy all season.... i have his PPG as roughly the same as last year

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
well, i've seen what he can do for one season, so i'm a believer now.... i just don't think he'll stay healthy all season.... i have his PPG as roughly the same as last year

Even though his injury was a freak injury? his only other injury was from fighting and punching the glass in junior.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
His point total depends on his wingers ability to finish. 97 is a playmaker above all.

He also needs to bury some of those breakaways. It seems he's guaranteed to have 1 or 2 a game at the minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad