Player Discussion: Connor Hellebuyck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Connor's play lately making me feel a lot better about our chances to go on a run
Man o man just a few games ago I was WTF is going on?
His glove was turrible and he was a rebound machine.
Relieved that it appears to be over

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Man o man just a few games ago I was WTF is going on?
His glove was turrible and he was a rebound machine.
Relieved that it appears to be over

I wouldn't assume that. He's done this before, he'll do it again. Cold, hot, cold, hot. Last year he had more hot than cold. This year? Remains to be seen. Hoodoo, man. I tell ya.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
upload_2018-12-13_9-19-10.png

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
That's a brutal looking graph. Don't show it to Helle. Last 3 games, the worst one is .963 though. Maybe he is heating up.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think Helle's playing decently lately, but I'd love to see Brossoit in net a lot more, so we can see what he can do over the long term. I think the guy is fantastic, and he's the real deal, and should be given playing time. I think he will surprise people.

Reactions: objectiveposter

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
What is, then?
I think the .915 and up mark in todays NHL is where you'd want to be as a goalie. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. Antti Raanta was .930 last year in 47 games and barely above .500. Great goaltending cant always overcome garbage teams. Helle is close but needs to be better. The Jets are where they are in spite of his play and due to Brossoit.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I think the .915 and up mark in todays NHL is where you'd want to be as a goalie. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule. Antti Raanta was .930 last year in 47 games and barely above .500. Great goaltending cant always overcome garbage teams. Helle is close but needs to be better. The Jets are where they are in spite of his play and due to Brossoit.

Okay, given that, Hellebuyck should have stopped 5.2 more goals than he has (0.6% * 867 shots). So the "should have" difference is about, but not quite, 2 points in the standings.

Holding Brossoit to the same standard, he's stopped about 8.2 more goals than he has (2.4% * 342 shots). Almost, but not quite, 3 points in the standings.

So it seems reasonable to conclude that even if we didn't benefit from the "due to Brossoit, in spite of Hellebuyck" factor, that this team is still 1st in the Central and 2nd/3rd in the West.

A visible factor to be sure, but not the nigh Apocalypse or anything.

And given Hellebuyck's horrible start and recent much improved play (.920 in December's 9 games), I'm anticipating this correcting itself as the season continues along.

Last edited:

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Okay, given that, Hellebuyck should have stopped 5.2 more goals than he has (0.6% * 867 shots). So the "should have" difference is about, but not quite, 2 points in the standings.

Holding Brossoit to the same standard, he's stopped about 8.2 more goals than he has (2.4% * 342 shots). Almost, but not quite, 3 points in the standings.

So it seems reasonable to conclude that even if we didn't benefit from the "due to Brossoit, in spite of Hellebuyck" factor, that this team is still 1st in the Central and 2nd/3rd in the West.

A visible factor to be sure, but not the nigh Apocalypse or anything.

And given Hellebuyck's horrible start and recent much improved play (.920 in December's 9 games), I'm anticipating this correcting itself as the season continues along.

Yes if you were to even out the extra save percentage completely over each individual game but that's not really how things work is it in real life? If you bump up his save percentage in say three of his more egregious losses you can get him to 915 or above and produce 6 pts

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island

I'm not going to crunch those numbers at 8am with a sick baby but a quick browse of nhl.com shows 3 of his last 5 starts are 900 or below. 5 is the number the site uses not my own decision. That hardly seems like it's improved

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm not going to crunch those numbers at 8am with a sick baby but a quick browse of nhl.com shows 3 of his last 5 starts are 900 or below. 5 is the number the site uses not my own decision. That hardly seems like it's improved

Go take care of your baby, I got this :)

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 9.43.35 AM.png

I'd be satisfied with his play continuing along these lines for the remainder of the year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Go take care of your baby, I got this :)

View attachment 169905

I'd be satisfied with his play continuing along these lines for the remainder of the year.
I don't think Helly is as far from last season's goalie as it gets made out to be. What my eye test tells me is that he has let in a greater amount of "soft" goals that are frustrating fans. But more and more he is looking like the Helly we have grown to expect. And very happy we have a back up to help shoulder a greater piece of the load with quality starts.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think Helly is as far from last season's goalie as it gets made out to be. What my eye test tells me is that he has let in a greater amount of "soft" goals that are frustrating fans. But more and more he is looking like the Helly we have grown to expect. And very happy we have a back up to help shoulder a greater piece of the load with quality starts.

Yeah, especially October, there were several "WTF Bucky?!" moments. I mentioned this elsewhere but I'd like to see a human eye judge goaltending "errors" the same way fielding errors are judged. I think it would be a very useful stat, not without controversy I'm sure, but would give us more water-cooler banter; the search for deeper hockey statistical depth shouldn't ignore the fact that there should be some 'fun' stats that can give casual fans more to enjoy too.

But to your point, right now the difference between "old Bucky" and "current Bucky" is about 5-8 goals, depending on your expectation. I have no solid accounting but if you went through the games and counted about that many "WTF Bucky?" goals against, I'd expect the two totals to be very close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad