Prospect Info: Connor Carrick

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Most teams will protect 3 Dmen, but looking at the Leafs, they are in a position to protect 5 Dman and only protect 3 forwards
Protected forwards....JVR, Kadri and Brown. Exposed Leivo and Martin and guys with only one year left on their contracts till UFA.....Bozak and Komalov. Bibeau or Sparks have a good chance of being selected by Vegas and Bibeau, I believe can be sent to the minors in 2017 without waivers.

Absolutely no chance we keep Marincin/Carrick at the expense of Bozak or Komarov.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I would think the leafs would expose marincin before the expose guys like komarov or bozak hell even martin or leivo, but then again I'm not a fan of marincin at all. Rielly make marincin look decent, id rather loose him them any of the above players

Marincin, Komarov, Leivo, Martin are all similar calliber IMO. Bozak's contract (not bad, but high cap hit) can put him in that tier too. Protecting 5 d-men isn't THAT bad of an idea if we acquire another top 4 d-man.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Solid acquisition by Lou. Would definitely protect him for the expansion draft. Even if Zaitsev and Carrick slot 2nd and 3rd pair once we contend, to have two-thirds of our RD possibly solved going forward - considering we didn't have either prior to the TDL - would be great.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Marincin, Komarov, Leivo, Martin are all similar calliber IMO. Bozak's contract (not bad, but high cap hit) can put him in that tier too. Protecting 5 d-men isn't THAT bad of an idea if we acquire another top 4 d-man.

There is some I belief (which I think is misguided), that Las Vegas is going to take the best players even if they have one year left on their contracts then becoming UFAs. Come the summer of 2018, Vegas would be in the same situation...coming up with a "new team" if they take that approach.

So, a lot of guys who are cheaper contracts....in the Leafs case like Bibeau, Leivo, maybe Holland, who would be cheaper and under "more years control" might be more desired by Vegas. Vegas still might have some expensive guys on their team and of course they will want money to spend for UFAs starting next summer

The Leafs might be able to package guys like Corrado, Marincin and a prospect for an established NHLer Dman which would would lost to Vegas by lets say the Ducks or NYI

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I would think the leafs would expose marincin before the expose guys like komarov or bozak hell even martin or leivo, but then again I'm not a fan of marincin at all. Rielly make marincin look decent, id rather loose him them any of the above players

I'm with you, I don't understand the love affair with Marincin. At all.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looking like a good d-man .. Physical, can move the puck, mobile, and has a good shot. I think he'll be a good #4 on the second pairing - maybe growth for more

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
I think a good comparison for his upside is Robidas.

The Dallas version, hovering around 30 pts a season, physical play and can play spot duty on any pairing.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Most teams will protect 3 Dmen, but looking at the Leafs, they are in a position to protect 5 Dman and only protect 3 forwards
Protected forwards....JVR, Kadri and Brown. Exposed Leivo and Martin and guys with only one year left on their contracts till UFA.....Bozak and Komalov. Bibeau or Sparks have a good chance of being selected by Vegas and Bibeau, I believe can be sent to the minors in 2017 without waivers.

I believe we also have to protect Nylander: he's had 3 years of experience in the AHL/NHL.

I'm not sure if RFA and no contract keeps someone exempt from the draft.

From what is see we should be protecting the following forwards.

JVR-Kadri-Brown-Nylander-Komarov-Kapanen(?)-Leipsec or Rychel

Bozak might slot in there.

Defense
Rielly-Gardiner-Carrick

I don't see any value in the D besides Zaitsev (who is exempt) Rielly Gardiner and Carrick. Corrado hasn't shown anything, Marincin is always hit or miss.

Then we protect Andersen as our goalie.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Nylander is exempt. First year in the AHL was technically a slide year on his ELC.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Carrick projects as a very good 4/5 defenseman. Toronto has the Top 3 covered in Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
He's so overrated. I don't like him at all, and I was one of his biggest fans when he was with the Marlies.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
Carrick projects as a very good 4/5 defenseman. Toronto has the Top 3 covered in Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev.

A point for discussion; with the salary cap teams may only be able to have three top four caliber defensemen due to cap constraints. Toronto's future #4 defenseman may be anyone of Valiev, Nielsen, Greenway, Dermott, Carrick, or other.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I think he's currently a perfect #7 on good team. I don't see top-4 upside because he's so weak in his own zone. I view him as a stop-gap for the next couple years until we acquire/develop better D. With the expansion draft looming, he's good trade fodder to add into a consolidation-type move. We have enough offense, we now need defensive roleplayers all throughout the lineup. I think Carrick is a bad fit both short- and long-term.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He's so overrated. I don't like him at all, and I was one of his biggest fans when he was with the Marlies.

It's because he's in a stage in his development where he looks lost out there at times and is adjusting to the NHL level.

If you look at his puck skills and offensive upside, he's a promising young player.

Ceiling - #5 defenceman, 2nd PP unit

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Carrick was on for 22 shot attempts for, 9 against tonight.

He's running a 58% corsi for this season, and a 60% shots for.

When he's on the ice, the Leafs put 42 shots per 60, and give up 28 (5v5).

His xGF60 is 3.27, and xGA60 is 2.

This is very, very impressive work.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Real slick game tonight. 3 or 4 times he made that nifty curl back drew a forechecker to him and sent someone in on a rush. Kids going to be real good. Dunno where the bad in his own zone narrative comes from. Hes rarely out of position and rarely puck watches

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Real slick game tonight. 3 or 4 times he made that nifty curl back drew a forechecker to him and sent someone in on a rush. Kids going to be real good. Dunno where the bad in his own zone narrative comes from. Hes rarely out of position and rarely puck watches

Maybe he's being coached to do it, but there was a point in the game tonight where he literally switched positions with Marner. Marner went back and played RD in the defensive zone and Carrick was literally just standing on the offensive blue line. I'd consider that out of position, but I will concede that might be a set play or something Babcock is working on. Was a real WTF moment in the game for me.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Carrick was on for 22 shot attempts for, 9 against tonight.

He's running a 58% corsi for this season, and a 60% shots for.

When he's on the ice, the Leafs put 42 shots per 60, and give up 28 (5v5).

His xGF60 is 3.27, and xGA60 is 2.

This is very, very impressive work.

yes his numbers were very good tonight despite a couple big gaffes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad