Prospect Info: Connor Carrick

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we got into next season with: Reilly, Gards, Carrick and (hopefully) Zaitsev. Do we have enough D on the defensive side of things? I think Marincin has earned a shot at another year and he fills one of those spots.

But will we be too offensive in the D? It's a genuine question, i've spent a lot of time watching hockey rather than understanding the intricacies. So i've made it my aim to gain a greater insight on tactics.

As a team who are looking to be based on puck possession, is it a case of the more defencemen you have who are good on the puck and forward thinking, the better suited you are to such a system?

Skating, thinking and possession never go out of style in any era, while being a stay at home means you're on your heels running around trying to put out fires as the other team cycles you to death. Looking at the Blues, more wingspan couldn't hurt but we need heads up skilled defensemen, not cavemen back there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i think carrick as a top 4 guy next year might be a bid premature.

hopefully zaitsev is a good 2 way top 4 guy to go with gards and rielly.

hunwick-carrick would be a good bottom pair I think.

can Marincin actually be a good top 4 guy? i like the guy but i'm not sure. might be a good time to give him a chance at least.

Gards - Rielky
Marincin - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick

could actually be a very good defense corps.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

can Marincin actually be a good top 4 guy? i like the guy but i'm not sure. might be a good time to give him a chance at least.

Gards - Rielky
Marincin - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick

Why would stack the pairing?

Marincin Rielly
Gards Carrick
Hunwick Zaitsev

That's if Hunwick isn't dealt. Zaitsev has to show he can play in the NHL. The top 4 itself as it was last year was good enough to squeak by during that time.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
connor doesnt move like rielly or gardiner but his skating is fine, his iq and passing and puck moving like speed is a notch below as well, but he does have a better shot...so his game is solid...he does give away 2-4 inches and 10-30 pounds on most players hes gonna encounter playing D along boards and net...thats gonna be his biggest issue, but i think hes gonna be a very good 4, 5, or 6th D...which is great

Leafsblue

Aug 31, 2015
This guy is so solid. Loved him when he was up with the Leafs.
He rarely makes a mistake. Very solid and very reliable.
I would be shocked if he did not crack Leaf lineup next season.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I like the fact he has 9 fights in the last 2 seasons (NHL and AHL). It says that he feisty and a tough guy to play against. It doesn't hurt his chances that Shanny is looking for players that display a little of this in their game.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'm not seeing much reason to deviate from what the Leafs had last year...

Barring a remarkable signing, Hunwick-Rielly will likely be paired together again.

Presumably, Gardiner is on your 2nd pair, and Marincin on the 3rd. That Either they'll add one more body in free agency to replace Polak (alongside Gardiner), or they'll let Carrick, Corrado, Zaitsev, Valiev and Harrington compete for 2 spots instead of 1.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This guy is so solid. Loved him when he was up with the Leafs.
He rarely makes a mistake. Very solid and very reliable.
I would be shocked if he did not crack Leaf lineup next season.

he will have to

there is no way he makes it past waivers

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
There is a two-tier defence prospect grouping developing as the AHL playoffs finish the first round. I would guess that Carrick, Loov, and Harrington are the players to make the Leafs next year - likely splitting time.

Valiev is clearly the next guy in the pecking order but his waiver exemption keeps him on the Marlies.

Percy and Corrado look to be full time Marlies until they are traded or lost on waivers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Gards - Rielky
Marincin - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick

Why do we care if Carrick or Zaitsev is better?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Gards - Rielky
Marincin - Zaitsev
Hunwick - Carrick

That could work. Gardiner would be the Stralman of the first pairing. We'll just need Zaitsev to carry the second pairing which would be more offensive oriented.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
it will be curious bulleye

loov does not need waivers

carrado,percy do

why risk losing one to waivers and also thin your D depth to call up for injury

i could see loov,valiev be there 2 ahl D emerge call ups.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
it will be curious bulleye

loov does not need waivers

carrado,percy do

why risk losing one to waivers and also thin your D depth to call up for injury

i could see loov,valiev be there 2 ahl D emerge call ups.

Good point. Thought Loov was waiver eligible now. If the personal is status quo in Sept. they likely keep the waiver vulnerable on the main team as you said.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I think Connor Carrick is going to be a solid top 4 Dman for the Leafs. A lot of folks feel the Leafs are weak are defence.....yea, I know they're not the best but with Gardiner, Reilly and Zaitsev seem to be good NHLers, keep an eye on Carrick.

He seems to be able to stand up on both both lines and make players. On the smallish side but is physical. Handles the puck well. Three years in the AHL and now the NHL, its's time for him to show he NHL ready. IMO he's gonna be a important Leaf now and in the future.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
We have Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Carrick, Marincin, it I'll be interesting to see who is the last guy that is a fit for this group.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Carrick is a big reason I don't want to trade for Trouba or any other dman this season.

If we add Trouba, we expose Carrick to the expansion draft. I say have some patience, we JUST finished dead last in the league, we WILL have holes on the roster this season. We're not going to win the SC this year. Lets evaluate what we have, let the expansion draft take a weaker player/prospect like Holland or Leivo, and if we still haven't found a solution on the blue line either internally or via our freed up capspace next offseason in UFA, THEN we can explore the trade market.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
We have Reilly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Carrick, Marincin, it I'll be interesting to see who is the last guy that is a fit for this group.

Possibly this year there won't be a change of personnel, but prior to the expansion draft the Leafs might be able to grab a good Dman. IMO the Leafs are in position to protect 5 Dman when most teams can only protect three.
Protected Reilly, Gardiner, Carrick, maybe Marincin and then in a position to trade for a team like the Isles or Ducks who probably will only protect three. Of course if you're an Leaf optimistic, Valiev, Dermot and Nielson will be NHL or near NHL ready next year.

Mad Brills*

Zaitsev's exempt and is an RFA next summer, and if he continues his early play he'll be signed long term.

They're losing one of carrick/marincin to vegas in all likelihood unless vegas likes bozak.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Carrick is a big reason I don't want to trade for Trouba or any other dman this season.

If we add Trouba, we expose Carrick to the expansion draft. I say have some patience, we JUST finished dead last in the league, we WILL have holes on the roster this season. We're not going to win the SC this year. Lets evaluate what we have, let the expansion draft take a weaker player/prospect like Holland or Leivo, and if we still haven't found a solution on the blue line either internally or via our freed up capspace next offseason in UFA, THEN we can explore the trade market.

Only way I see a trade for trouba would be the leafs sending Gardiner back. So instead of protecting Gardiner u protect trouba. So Rielly trouba and Carrick would be protected , zietsev does not need protecting and expose marincin. I like Carrick game I think he's definitely an NHL defensemen just not sure if he's a 4 or 5 damn yet, has looked solid playing with Gardiner

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Zaitsev's exempt and is an RFA next summer, and if he continues his early play he'll be signed long term.

They're losing one of carrick/marincin to vegas in all likelihood unless vegas likes bozak.

Most teams will protect 3 Dmen, but looking at the Leafs, they are in a position to protect 5 Dman and only protect 3 forwards
Protected forwards....JVR, Kadri and Brown. Exposed Leivo and Martin and guys with only one year left on their contracts till UFA.....Bozak and Komalov. Bibeau or Sparks have a good chance of being selected by Vegas and Bibeau, I believe can be sent to the minors in 2017 without waivers.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Only way I see a trade for trouba would be the leafs sending Gardiner back. So instead of protecting Gardiner u protect trouba. So Rielly trouba and Carrick would be protected , zietsev does not need protecting and expose marincin. I like Carrick game I think he's definitely an NHL defensemen just not sure if he's a 4 or 5 damn yet, has looked solid playing with Gardiner

Its beleived that there is going to be a lot of good defensmen exposed to the expansion draft... Carrick may not be one of the top 7-8 options for LV.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Most teams will protect 3 Dmen, but looking at the Leafs, they are in a position to protect 5 Dman and only protect 3 forwards
Protected forwards....JVR, Kadri and Brown. Exposed Leivo and Martin and guys with only one year left on their contracts till UFA.....Bozak and Komalov. Bibeau or Sparks have a good chance of being selected by Vegas and Bibeau, I believe can be sent to the minors in 2017 without waivers.

I would think the leafs would expose marincin before the expose guys like komarov or bozak hell even martin or leivo, but then again I'm not a fan of marincin at all. Rielly make marincin look decent, id rather loose him them any of the above players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad