Player Discussion Connor Brown (C) - Update: Signs 3 year, $10.8M deal

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Inflation aside, Tampa seems to consistently get discounts when re-signing their players. Florida is no income tax state I believe, and obviously has the nice weather to go along with it. Got to add that cold weather, high tax rate premium to any comparison...

Beaches and Taxes - feels worth about 20%+ to a player ?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not sure Duclair has much more upside than Brown. AD caught fire the first half but hasn't scored since before Christmas. Brown plays a more complete game.

And that's why he has been on as many teams as he has, he's very inconsistent & when not scoring doesn't do much of anything else. Too bad, Ottawa needs a consistent goal scorer in a bad way.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Risky ask. If Sens walk from the decision if he wins (their option) he will struggle to get those kind of $'s as a UFA. That said, will likely get more than the Sens offered, but a gamble. If he asked for $3.75 for example, good chance he wins, and that might be more than he'd get as a UFA.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Risky ask. If Sens walk from the decision if he wins (their option) he will struggle to get those kind of $'s as a UFA. That said, will likely get more than the Sens offered, but a gamble. If he asked for $3.75 for example, good chance he wins, and that might be more than he'd get as a UFA.

I think it's his way of saying if you're not paying me adequately I will go play somewhere else knowing the team doesn't keep him at that amount.

I think they should be pushing for something in the 3 years around 4M or 4 years at 3.75M.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think it's a formality to have a high ask in arbitration.

This should have been something they got done before though. It's another last-minute negotiation and we all know how those typically end. Only a couple days to get something done or that Zaitsev trade looks awful.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think it's a formality to have a high ask in arbitration.

This should have been something they got done before though. It's another last-minute negotiation and we all know how those typically end. Only a couple days to get something done or that Zaitsev trade looks awful.

Paying Brown 3x$5 or whatever doesn't make the Z deal any better or worse. The Z deal was good because Brown provided $2+ of positive value to offset some of Z's negative value. He likely won't provide any positive value next year.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

rosk is with Ottawa and losing the player / guarantee Brown gets scooped up with the Oilers right away if Sens walk away. Okay a season with McDavid and get your numbers up for Free agency.

Sens need to sign Brown to at least 3 years. Team isn’t going anywhere if they can’t keep their good players.

Daddy in - Brown out isn’t a win for Ottawa.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Losing Brown after next season would be silly. However I agree with many that paying him close to what he's looking for 4.5million+ is not a great deal for us

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
meh down to keep him around for 3 years or so but players like him should def not be handed long term deals. We should learn from White

Reactions: Sweatred

h2

Mar 26, 2002
meh down to keep him around for 3 years or so but players like him should def not be handed long term deals. We should learn from White

I think 3.75-4.25m range is fair. Anything higher is not worth it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
low offer ; big ask
On a 1 year contract, it's not a super low offer if you consider they'd probably settle at the $3 million range. But you typically don't get max money on a 1 year deal coming off RFA and going into UFA. Just doesn't make much sense. The money he's asking for might be appropriate for a contract with extensive term but then that begs the question of whether this team wants him for that long in the first place.

At 3 years, I think they settle somewhere closer to $3.65-$4.15 million per year.

At $4.8 million, he's making his comparables Elias Lindholm, Alex Tuch, Kevin Labanc, Andre Burakovsky and Colin White though it should be noted all those guys signed contracts with term.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Garrioch reported that 3 x $3.5M should get it done. What were the Sens expecting? Prior to COVID, there were 4 x 4.5-5 talks, I'm not sure how this doesn't get done if 3 x $3.5 is a realistic number.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why keep Brown when we flipped Pager, MD, MS, EK, RD etc for assets.

The idea shouldn’t be to restock the cupboard and try to build a conventional winner with $40 million less revenue than everyone else ... it should be to double down on UFA’s, draft well, and turn every good player into 2 good players until the 4th line loaded.

Flip Brown for prospects and picks and resign someone next year for $4 million. He is good but replaceable at that cap hit.

Reactions: Yak

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Why keep Brown when we flipped Pager, MD, MS, EK, RD etc for assets.

The idea shouldn’t be to restock the cupboard and try to build a conventional winner with $40 million less revenue than everyone else ... it should be to double down on UFA’s, draft well, and turn every good player into 2 good players until the 4th line loaded.

Flip Brown for prospects and picks and resign someone next year for $4 million. He is good but replaceable at that cap hit.

Who replaces him? The team has very few proven NHL players.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
2.25 is really low though, even for a one year contract. What's the ideal long-term contract for this guy? 4.5×5?

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
What is the point of even coming in with "asks" to the arbitrator? Don't they just decide on a number afterwards anyway?

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Sens offer isn't much better than what he was making before.
On the other hand he's shooting for the stars with a ridiculous request for 4.8 million!
I see the arbitrator coming in mid to high 3's.
If he gets a one year deal he could be long gone after that as the prospects begin to backfill roster spots.
One year may not be so bad!

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
rosk is with Ottawa and losing the player / guarantee Brown gets scooped up with the Oilers right away if Sens walk away. Okay a season with McDavid and get your numbers up for Free agency.

Sens need to sign Brown to at least 3 years. Team isn’t going anywhere if they can’t keep their good players.

Daddy in - Brown out isn’t a win for Ottawa.
He is nothing special. He should be a 3rd line forward by next year. Anything over 3.5 mil should mean he is moved out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad