Connor Brown

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Connor Brown is an NHL player.

He can flat out snipe and his work ethic 2nd to none. We have something special here.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Seriously, haven't had anyone explain to me why he was drafted in the 6th round.

His skating. He's pretty average at it, at best. It's improving but he lacked any real explosiveness.

I think the other knock was his size / stature. When you aren't a great skater and not the biggest / strongest, it makes sense why teams shied away from him.

From what I've watched of him (literally just a few games. I'm no scout), his defensive game is lacking a bit too, especially off the puck in his own zone. Don't know whether it's an issue or just something I've spotted in isolation.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
one thing that i noticed this season is that no one got called up

i remember when naz got the callup against the sharks
even tho you dont light it up on your first game

am pretty sure it provides great experience to remember

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Seriously, haven't had anyone explain to me why he was drafted in the 6th round.

he doubled his points and went from a -11 to a +44 the year after he was drafted. He is small and his skating is average but he took the next step that last year looking much different than when he was drafted.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
one thing that i noticed this season is that no one got called up

i remember when naz got the callup against the sharks
even tho you dont light it up on your first game

am pretty sure it provides great experience to remember

They've had plenty of call-ups this year....

The Sam Carrick / dad HNIC story from the Chicago game comes immediately to mind.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
They've had plenty of call-ups this year....

The Sam Carrick / dad HNIC story from the Chicago game comes immediately to mind.

Also add in Leivo, Mckegg, Percy and Granberg as guys who've got some call up chances.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
I was hoping for a 40 point AHL rookie season from Brown. Considering he's almost there while not even playing 50 games yet gives me reason to be excited

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

IIRC he was ranked by ISS in the 4th round, but his size, skating and -72 in his draft year were all major concerns and his draft position was justified. However, he has tremendous amount of work ethic and worked on all of his deficiencies. There are the types of players the Leafs should be drafting, guys with character that are willing to work as hard as possible to fix their short comings to be the best they can be.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I really like this guy. Like he IS my favorite and most watched prospect at this point in time. Granted I like all our prospects but there is just something about Brown that makes him so likable. He has that air about him that makes you want to cheer him on and for him to succeed. Honestly if Toronto could pull a rabbit out of their hat and manage to draft McDavid I would seriously love to see these two playing on a line again. They were dynamite in the OHL so the chemistry is there and I have no doubt Brown has the work ethic there to be a good NHLer.

(Could be our version of Chris Kunitz if the stars aligned.)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I really like this guy. Like he IS my favorite and most watched prospect at this point in time. Granted I like all our prospects but there is just something about Brown that makes him so likable. He has that air about him that makes you want to cheer him on and for him to succeed. Honestly if Toronto could pull a rabbit out of their hat and manage to draft McDavid I would seriously love to see these two playing on a line again. They were dynamite in the OHL so the chemistry is there and I have no doubt Brown has the work ethic there to be a good NHLer.

(Could be our version of Chris Kunitz if the stars aligned.)

Brown played with McDavid only on the PP

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
His skating. He's pretty average at it, at best. It's improving but he lacked any real explosiveness.

I think the other knock was his size / stature. When you aren't a great skater and not the biggest / strongest, it makes sense why teams shied away from him.

From what I've watched of him (literally just a few games. I'm no scout), his defensive game is lacking a bit too, especially off the puck in his own zone. Don't know whether it's an issue or just something I've spotted in isolation.

any chance that he was also viewed as a McDavid coat rider?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Brown can stay with the the Marlies for now, he doesn't need to be anywhere near the poisonous atmosphere around the ACC

He'll get his chance for a permanent job next year at camp

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Brown can stay with the the Marlies for now, he doesn't need to be anywhere near the poisonous atmosphere around the ACC

He'll get his chance for a permanent job next year at camp

He won't be. Dubas said that they will leave him with the Marlies for the season, same for Nylander.

If there are call ups in the next couple weeks, it'll be Leivo, Kozun, Frattin and/or McKegg.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

-72, probably scared the bejesus out of everyone.

He also had an older brother that had just finished up in the OHL & he wasn't an NHL prospect. Although he may be earning an invite to a camp this summer.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
His skating was also very questionable at the time. That's come a long way in the last couple years. It went from probably-not-good-enough to an attribute that helps him.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
In his draft year Erie was an awful team, they had terrible goalie and a mediocre defense at best, they also didn't have a lot of dynamic players. Brown has only progressed ever since he got drafted in CHL. Every season he has surpassed his last season's numbers. He lacked size and as mentioned wasn't even an average skater, but since then he has progressed so much that he has a much much better wheels than he had in his draft year.

Seems like he had everything going against him till the draft and then completely 180, everything just got better and better ever since then. Something we all fans can cheer about, Brown is a real deal.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Name Connor Brown
Number 28
Position Right Wing
Shoots Right
Height 5.11
Weight 170
Birthdate January 14, 1994
Hometown Etobicoke, ON

Related Media

Connor Brown - Eddie Powers Memorial & Red Tilson
CHL Top Scorer - Connor Brown
Connor Brown Wins Red Tilson Award
Connor Brown - Red Tilson Winner
Connor Brown wins Red Tilson Trophy
2013-14 Regular Season Award Winners
OHL Top Performers for January

2013-14 Regular Season Erie Otters 68 45 83 128 44 22
2012-13 Regular Season Erie Otters 63 28 41 69 -11 39
2011-12 Regular Season Erie Otters 68 25 28 53 -72 14
Total: 199 98 152 250 -39 75

2011-12 was his draft year lucky for us Erie was horrible that year so we lucked out and stole this guy lets not ruin him, next year maybe.
“He loves the game and is totally engaged every day as far as developing and getting better. He’s just a hungry, hungry player,” Dineen said. “Everything that he does is to benefit the team. He is a guy that wants the puck. He wants it offensively, and when he doesn’t have the puck, he is very hungry to get it back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad