Recalled/Assigned: Connolly, Brown, Kucherov & others to Syracuse, Drouin to Halifax | Sustr staying

The Yzerplan

Not enough goalies
May 14, 2009
Sorry Robert but I think it was a given that Gudas and Killorn were going to make the team unless of ofcourse they had an absolute terrible pre-season. Gudas signed a 3year 1 way contract and Yzerman told Killorn towards the end of last season that he can move out of his hotel and find a house. The Killorn part went something like that.

I think you've misunderstood what he meant. He said that he wanted to see more kids be up here this season, and he pointed Gudas and Killorn as examples of how well they did when they started playing in Tampa.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I liked what stevie said about poor play whether or not can make some deals. I hope they are looking to make a deal for a number 1-2 D but is probably not out there:)

The most obvious trade-bait on the team is Purcell (no one's going to give up much for Malone), and Purcell won't fetch a top-pair D on his own. Purcell + a prospect? ... Maybe.

But I agree that something might in the works. Connolly looks ready, not just for his own benefit, but for the team's.

There are a lot of scenarios that see him back up shortly. If the Gun line falters, if someone (Malone) gets injured, if there's a top-six trade -- Connolly's up. And everyone knows he deserves it.

There's just unprecedented depth for Tampa right now. It makes for a lot of tough decisions, but in the big picture, it's exciting.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If Drouin wasn't even good enough get a 9 game try out it looks like not drafting Jones was a mistake given the Bolts surplus of offense and poor defense. I note Jones is still with the Preds

From an outsider's perspective - SY drafted who he thought was the best player available, and evaluated the players over a 7-10 year window. SY couldn't have cared less who would be the better player 3 months after the draft. He was looking for the best player long term.

I know that we're an instant gratification society, but this evaluating draft or trade after 3 months is flat out ridiculous.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/dro...130930/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Yzerman on some of the other young guys:

Top gun line
“They are more ready, in our opinion,’’ Yzerman said. “I believe there is a process to this whole thing, and our intention is to keep Richard, Tyler and Ondrej. They have played two years in the American Hockey League, they have been very good players in the American Hockey League, elite players, and it’s time to move them into the NHL. They had good training camps, as well.’’
Barberio
“It’s time to see (Barberio) in the NHL. He has put in a lot of time and been a very good player for us and been very patient,’’ Yzerman said. “It’s important now that he get some playing time."
Sustr
“And we just feel with Andrej, he has played well, he’s a big guy and he was very good in the playoffs for Syracuse. He makes us a better team for the time being, and we’ll see how he does from here.’’

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Ok as many of you know was upset at first as will always be lol each season is no different lol:)

Is all good always have faith in stevie and have faith in cooper. I get sustr and all the decisions I think is a lot to ask the three kids to grow and graduate together trial by fire but hey they need to step it up:) I would rather have less kids even and put one on each line myself and give 20 to 40 game tryouts to each if that makes sense cause the jump from ahl to nhl is huge. Most will not make it right off bat and need 1-2 times to get it right IE: Connolly.

I get his age etc.. but doubt is many connollys in world who make the jump he did in last two years either.

All is good will be ups and downs times of screaming at tv lol but I am behind this team 100% even with dislikes of certain players will yell and scream at them and wish was gone but still will hope for them and root for them and admit when they play well etc..:)

SO LETS GO BOLTS win lose or draw am excited to see how it pans out and believe in the system the players the coaches and organization and feel we are still 3-4 years out of ELITENESS!!

Will be growing pains next couple of years :) Lets hope we get some guys to make the transition easier!!

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Man, you think we would deal someone to make room for Connolly.

Our lineup looks incredibly suspect up and down. Its obviously exciting to see so much youth, but hopefully the lumps don't cost us too much in the early going. Outside of the top 4 defensemen, the rest are incredibly suspect.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Man, you think we would deal someone to make room for Connolly.

Our lineup looks incredibly suspect up and down. Its obviously exciting to see so much youth, but hopefully the lumps don't cost us too much in the early going. Outside of the top 4 defensemen, the rest are incredibly suspect.

I don't agree with this post at all. All of our forward lines except the 3rd look pretty solid and experienced. The 2nd isn't as dynamic as in the past but should be better defensively. On the backend I think we have one of the strongest 3rd pairs when it's Brewer/Aulie. Brewer is a great vet who struggled last year but with limt minutes should get back his game. Aulie is a beast when he's on, he just needs more consistency. Barberio and Sustr I agree are suspect but I don't see them playing together at all.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
I understand that, but everyone in the organization knows the problem with Connolly is his confidence. To put up the best performance in the entire camp and still get sent down is deflating for anyone.

+1 very bad move from the lightning staff could hurt is confidence to a point he can become a bust. Realy hate what Yserman as done so far

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Brewer has played very very very very poorly scarily poorly in preseason. He passes and misses the pass out he has been out of position. He has jumped in one game two times leaving the other defender to waste at wrong moments etc..

Is scary cause that is worse than last year play. I really hope and pray for him to get it back together and be a good bottom pairing but I am at this time not holding my breath. He was a liability in preseason or wasnt helping us as he should have put it that way.

Connolly is going to be fine. He will be up soon one way or another. He wont spend full season at syracuse and him going back there is not that awful he still has things he can work on and improve on for sure:)

Again the KID is 21 I think everyone forgets that. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were brought up 23 and 24 lol. Nyquist and Tatar for detroit again 23-24.

Detroit has made a living of making players wait and be over qualified to play and older than our kids are generally going to be. I dont think a few months in ahl is going to hurt connolly.

I dont have a problem with tampas decision I just would have done it differently and for me I dont believe in putting a line of kids together. Think is too much on them and they will struggle at times very badly. Would rather go the put a kid on third line graduate him into some top two line situations after a couple months etc.. grow him slow and unfortunately we are not in that situation to allow that at this time.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
+1 very bad move from the lightning staff could hurt is confidence to a point he can become a bust. Realy hate what Yserman as done so far

At this point it's about how Connolly reacts to being sent down. I hope he is more motivated to prove the guys wrong than losing confidence over it. That's what you want your star players to do. To get motivated when something doesn't go your way. Otherwise he isn't a star player worth giving top minutes to. We have other guys ready to step up and take those challenges. But I believe Brett will take on the challenge and will be a better player for it. He's worked this hard not to. You don't quit when your just starting to hit your potential and Brett is starting to do that and will continue to do that and grow when he gets his chance in the NHL which he will get. I'm sure he's been promised that much after having the tremendous camp he had.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think it's doubtful Connolly plays all year in the AHL. But you have to remember -- the Lightning are opening the season with SIX rookies in the lineup. Someone had to get the axe, and unfortunately, Connolly was a victim of circumstance.

Also, of all the things Yzerman can be criticized about, how he's handled the team's prospects isn't one of them. The Lightning have developed the deepest group of prospects in the league under Yzerman's watch (with huge credit to Al Murray). It's as a result of that organizational depth that Connolly is having trouble getting time in the NHL.

Think about this: the Lightning are bringing Johnson, Panik, and Palat to the NHL, and Syracuse still looks like a juggernaut.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Brewer has played very very very very poorly scarily poorly in preseason. He passes and misses the pass out he has been out of position. He has jumped in one game two times leaving the other defender to waste at wrong moments etc..

Is scary cause that is worse than last year play. I really hope and pray for him to get it back together and be a good bottom pairing but I am at this time not holding my breath. He was a liability in preseason or wasnt helping us as he should have put it that way.

Connolly is going to be fine. He will be up soon one way or another. He wont spend full season at syracuse and him going back there is not that awful he still has things he can work on and improve on for sure:)

Again the KID is 21 I think everyone forgets that. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were brought up 23 and 24 lol. Nyquist and Tatar for detroit again 23-24.

Detroit has made a living of making players wait and be over qualified to play and older than our kids are generally going to be. I dont think a few months in ahl is going to hurt connolly.

I dont have a problem with tampas decision I just would have done it differently and for me I dont believe in putting a line of kids together. Think is too much on them and they will struggle at times very badly. Would rather go the put a kid on third line graduate him into some top two line situations after a couple months etc.. grow him slow and unfortunately we are not in that situation to allow that at this time.

How many preseason games have you actually watched? None? You keep saying how horrible this guy was, or how this player kept missing passes, etc.

No games were televised, I'm just wondering how you're coming up with all of these wacky evaluations.

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
How many preseason games have you actually watched? None? You keep saying how horrible this guy was, or how this player kept missing passes, etc.

No games were televised, I'm just wondering how you're coming up with all of these wacky evaluations.

Yeah if only there were some seating spots in an arena in which a regular person could watch a team play so a person could post their opinion on how a certain player performs....

Or perhaps even social media in which certain analysts would relay information to the general public alerting us on their player evaluation, I guess we'll have to wait for those days to come though, right?

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
I think it's doubtful Connolly plays all year in the AHL. But you have to remember -- the Lightning are opening the season with SIX rookies in the lineup. Someone had to get the axe, and unfortunately, Connolly was a victim of circumstance.

Also, of all the things Yzerman can be criticized about, how he's handled the team's prospects isn't one of them. The Lightning have developed the deepest group of prospects in the league under Yzerman's watch (with huge credit to Al Murray). It's as a result of that organizational depth that Connolly is having trouble getting time in the NHL.

Think about this: the Lightning are bringing Johnson, Panik, and Palat to the NHL, and Syracuse still looks like a juggernaut.

Yes Six rookies but Connolly already has a season of NHL experience under his belt don't forget. And I'm excited about all the rookies Yzerman has seemed to gather up but the bigger question is how well they all will translate into the big league.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
If being sent down now destroys Connolly's confidence then he was never destined to make it in the NHL. If he doesn't learn patience he'll destroy himself if he finds himself in a slump.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yeah if only there were some seating spots in an arena in which a regular person could watch a team play so a person could post their opinion on how a certain player performs....

Or perhaps even social media in which certain analysts would relay information to the general public alerting us on their player evaluation, I guess we'll have to wait for those days to come though, right?

Well, only 2-3 games were in Tampa and I know that Brewer didn't play in at least one of them. Additionally, I follow pretty much everybody on Twitter that offers any sort of analysis on the Lightning, I can't recall a single tweet about Brewer (positive or negative). Finally, judging by how sensible his typical posts are, it's a very valid question by Crabby. When someone offers their opinion, it's not unusual to ask them how they arrived at that opinion.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yes Six rookies but Connolly already has a season of NHL experience under his belt don't forget. And I'm excited about all the rookies Yzerman has seemed to gather up but the bigger question is how well they all will translate into the big league.

Killorn: 38 GP
Johnson: 14 GP
Palat: 14 GP
Panik: 25 GP
Labrie: 19 GP
Gudas: 22 GP (wow, seemed like more)
Sustr: 2 GP

That's what, about 135-140 GP between them? It'll be a growing pains type of season for them I'd say. Here's to hoping for the best! :)

Edit: Oh, and welcome back! Long time no see

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Since no such place exists, why mention it?

Seriously though, I was under the impression he didn't go to games due to health issues or something. I apologize if that is inaccurate.

I haven't seen anything to suggest Brewer has played "very very very very poorly scarily poorly in preseason."

I have a feeling that it's his own conclusion from seeing a tweet along the lines of "Brewer with a giveaway" or something.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=684861

Coop on the Drouin and Connolly cuts

Connolly:
“There’s no hurt, shame or anything in going back to the American Hockey League. Brett Connolly is barely 21-years-old and he prospered in the AHL last year with me as his coach, so I am a big fan. He did everything I asked and everything we asked here in training camp. This is also a business. In saying that, Brett Connolly could be here tomorrow; he could be here in a month, he could be here in two months. To me he played himself into the conversation of being on this team full-time and I don’t think anybody in this room would have said that a year ago. He’s taken unbelievable strides in his development and I’m really proud of him. Now he’s going to be in a situation where he can’t go back and hang his head because if it’s not a situation where he’ll be back anytime soon, there will be guys trying to pass him. He’ll be judged not just on how he played in this camp, but how he plays in the AHL, so he can’t let his guard down. If he doesn’t put his guard down that will play extremely well in his favor and maybe we’ll see him back at some point.”
Drouin:
“When you’re at the top level in junior hockey, as he was in his draft class, there’s just so many expectations that come with that, but we’re trying to do what’s best for Jonathan Drouin and the organization. We didn’t draft Jonathan to come and play for us this year, it didn’t matter who we drafted, this is someone we drafted and asked the question, ‘are they going to be 10-year players and carry this franchise?’ That’s why Jonathan Drouin was drafted. We can second-guess all day long, but to me there’s nothing wrong with going somewhere that you’re going to get the chance to play in all situations and play every night instead of sitting in a situation where you’re not. I think Connolly is a perfect example of a high draft pick staying with the Lightning his first year, then probably missed a little bit of development because he didn’t get to play that often. In the development of Jonathan Drouin we felt that this was going to be the best move for him. He impressed us. He shouldn’t leave here thinking he didn’t impress us. It’s also a tribute to what the organization has done in that there are a group of guys who’ve played professionally here for a couple of years, made this team and put us in a situation where we didn’t have to rush Jonathan Drouin and that’s good for the organization.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad