Recalled/Assigned: Connolly, Brown, Kucherov & others to Syracuse, Drouin to Halifax | Sustr staying

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Habs fan here, just saw Drouin has been sent down. This kid is going to ridiculously destroy the Q this year, probably the most dominant season we're going to see since Radulov.

I wouldn't worry too much about Jones personally. I think you guys got the best player out of that draft.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If Drouin wasn't even good enough get a 9 game try out it looks like not drafting Jones was a mistake given the Bolts surplus of offense and poor defense. I note Jones is still with the Preds

What's that saying? It's not how fast you make the NHL, it's how long you stay? Let's not jump to a conclusion at age 18.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Dear stevie Y, thank you so much!

Drouin will not have the supporting cast like he did last year, and won't be on a team that can score at will... I believe he's still MVP, but it should be a tougher task for the team and himself...

Moose become a candidate to repeat, so thanks :)

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
If Drouin wasn't even good enough get a 9 game try out it looks like not drafting Jones was a mistake given the Bolts surplus of offense and poor defense. I note Jones is still with the Preds

So if making the NHL as an 18 year old for 9 games is the end all be all I'm sure you would trade Drouin for Nishushkin?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The Connolly move was a little bit shocking but after trying to project lines yesterday it really was between him and Killorn for a winger spot on the 2nd line. And Killorn is obviously more NHL ready.

Knew they were planning on keeping the entire Top-Gun line, no point putting Connolly/Killorn there when the 3 gel so incredibly well.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
If you're talking about Kucherov, I wouldn't worry about him. He's got a great attitude and a good head on his shoulders. He wants to be here. Heck, he spent the whole summer in Montreal to train with our guys. He's not going to run for it now that he didn't make the team first try. His parents also work at the UN in New York iirc so they're in the same state now.

No I mean totally about the russian factor of our russian 5 guys so to speak. We have our third line for the future now. So stevie went after the russian five not sure people caught this or not but how is that going to work out as a factor of 2nd or 4th line or is it going to mix up not play together etc..?? Could see Kucherove Gusev Namestnikov on a line for the future was what was meaning and than having D 2nd line of Nesterov Seergeev? Vasi being the goalie?

Not sure Gusev or Seergeev make it but is interesting to see similarity of detroit years ago lol.

Truly hope the reason for Drouin is the center thing. Which as said I would be ok with and is smart not to play him he might have put up say 8 points in 11 games and would be even harder to justify lol.

I think the Gun line is gonna struggle this year but by next they could take over 2nd line if is what we wanted by all the time they will play together so is not a bad thing just think for awhile they will be in trouble just my two cents:) First month or so could be very hard on three rookies playing together.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/gm-yzerman-explains-connolly-drouin-decisions/2144533

Yzerman on cutting Connolly and Drouin
On Drouin: Well, we think he’s an incredible talent, a very intelligent hockey player, great hockey sense, great vision. We just feel he’s better served by playing another year of junior hockey. I don’t want him being in and out of the lineup. I don’t want him playing limited minutes. Our assessment was he’s better off playing another year of junior hockey, hopefully playing for Canada at the world junior championships and developing there.

On what Drouin needs to improve: Getting adjusted to the NHL pace, playing the game at an NHL speed. For him, it's going to happen in time. Our biggest concern was ice time. Where is he going to play? Who is he going to play with? The way we’re set up up front, he's not going to get the minutes we want him to play, so it's best he goes back to junior.
On Connolly: I feel he played extremely well throughout camp, well enough to earn a spot on this team. I want him playing in the top nine. We decided to keep (Ondrej) Palat, (Richard) Panik and (Tyler) Johnson together. I want Brett playing a lot of minutes. I don’t want him playing on the fourth line.

More on Connolly: I think he had a gret camp and he will play for us. He can be back at any moment whenever we need him. He’s going to start there (AHL Syracuse) and play a lot of minutes. Much like Palat, Panik and Johnson last year were kind of the leaders and the top line of the American Hockey League, Brett’s in that role. He’s got to go down there and be our top guy, be a leader and carry the team if need be. That's another step forward for him. There’s no plan to leave him there for any period of time, whether it be one game or the entire season. If our situation changes, whether through injury or poor performance, then he’s a phone call away. He’s going to get his chance and he’s going to be a very good player for us.

On his message to Connolly: When you speak with the players, they’re generally very quiet, just explain what you're thinking, reinforce the fact that we’re very very happy with his development and extremely pleased with the way he played in training camp; walked through our structure, where we are, our lineup, all these things that come into play, players that need waivers, where players are going to play, what role he’s going to play, walked through all that. He understands; disappointed, kids work hard, in Brett’s case, played so well. It's obvious they would be disappointed.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
No I mean totally about the russian factor of our russian 5 guys so to speak. We have our third line for the future now. So stevie went after the russian five not sure people caught this or not but how is that going to work out as a factor of 2nd or 4th line or is it going to mix up not play together etc..?? Could see Kucherove Gusev Namestnikov on a line for the future was what was meaning and than having D 2nd line of Nesterov Seergeev? Vasi being the goalie?

Not sure Gusev or Seergeev make it but is interesting to see similarity of detroit years ago lol.

I think you need to stop trying to project our lines 2, 3 or more years down the road. Too much can and will happen in the meantime (trades, drafts, injuries, retirements, prospects bust, develop in different directions or exceed expectations, etc).

Sounds good to me. I have a feeling Connolly will be back up again soon.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I like what I'm hearing, especially about Connolly. I get the feeling that SFY feels that Connolly deserves to be on the team, but the way the roster is it's just not the right move at the moment.

One interesting thing is one of the reasons they may have held on to guys like Malone or Purcell, who could fetch value, is because of uncertainty with who was going to replace them. I think Connolly just showed that you have a legit top 6 player ready and chomping at the bit... this might make Yzerman make a move.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think you need to stop trying to project our lines 2, 3 or more years down the road. Too much can and will happen in the meantime (trades, drafts, injuries, retirements, prospects bust, develop in different directions or exceed expectations, etc).

This is hockeys future so what your telling me you think I should do is kinda against what this board is about? Its actually why I come here cause its the FUTURE lol.

Sounds good to me. I have a feeling Connolly will be back up again soon.

I liked what stevie said about poor play whether or not can make some deals. I hope they are looking to make a deal for a number 1-2 D but is probably not out there:)

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate

I think you need to stop quoting him thus negating my use of the ignore feature. =p

Yzlamic Preacher*

It's for the best Drouin got sent down, Connolly is a shame but got to agree Yzerman on making sure he pays top 9 minutes. Still All In called in with the Sustr thing. I don't understand that one personally. Did Sustr have to clear waivers or something. I would think he would be better suited getting top pairing minutes in Syracuse.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
It's for the best Drouin got sent down, Connolly is a shame but got to agree Yzerman on making sure he pays top 9 minutes. Still All In called in with the Sustr thing. I don't understand that one personally. Did Sustr have to clear waivers or something. I would think he would be better suited getting top pairing minutes in Syracuse.

Nope, Sustr wouldn't have to go through waivers.

Al Cervick

Mar 17, 2011

I forgot who said it but somebody tweeted that they thought Sustr staying in Tampa was more of an extended try out on his behalf.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This is more of a general question than a TB question, even though I am shocked Connelly didn't stick.

Why does a team like Edmonton keep all the kids and let them grow, fail, hopefully succeed together, whereas the Lightning send two future cornerstone players down? Seems like the teams are in similar positions franchise wise, so it must just be an organizational philosophy?

Anyway, look forward to see how they both turn out.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
This is more of a general question than a TB question, even though I am shocked Connelly didn't stick.

Why does a team like Edmonton keep all the kids and let them grow, fail, hopefully succeed together, whereas the Lightning send two future cornerstone players down? Seems like the teams are in similar positions franchise wise, so it must just be an organizational philosophy?

Anyway, look forward to see how they both turn out.

I see little similarities between the clubs.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I see little similarities between the clubs.

This. The kids in Edmonton are the centerpieces to their teams from day one. In Tampa, there's a lot of established veterans that perform very well, so instead of forcing young guys into third and fourth line duties and limited minutes, we have the luxury of giving them time in the minors/juniors.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Entertaining preseason. Shocked about Connolly but I think it's good for him that he plays more. Same for Drouin. Looking forward to seeing how the Crunch, I mean Lightning do this year. :)

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
I will try to be more clear but honestly I really doubt anyone thought I meant it like you thought. I meant it as look gudas and killorn have proven they can go and do full season. We only kept three rookie forwards 2 defense which didnt see coming myself.

Sorry Robert but I think it was a given that Gudas and Killorn were going to make the team unless of ofcourse they had an absolute terrible pre-season. Gudas signed a 3year 1 way contract and Yzerman told Killorn towards the end of last season that he can move out of his hotel and find a house. The Killorn part went something like that.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I think you need to stop quoting him thus negating my use of the ignore feature. =p

Kind of like that Steve Yzerman guy who posts here every so often. I guess from people quoting him, he got the roster right, but come on. Takes the name of Steve Yzerman? You're fooling no one. That guy...

:sarcasm:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This. The kids in Edmonton are the centerpieces to their teams from day one. In Tampa, there's a lot of established veterans that perform very well, so instead of forcing young guys into third and fourth line duties and limited minutes, we have the luxury of giving them time in the minors/juniors.

Thanks for that.

I guess I just see the teams being alike in the sense that they both have/had the luxury of having fan bases that would understand a transition. Granted the Oilers have used a ton of that capital, but the Bolts, being recently successful (ECF and Cup in the last ten years) still would have some leeway with the fans. Plus a chance to mentor under a guy like MSL (esp for JD) seems like a great opportunity. Then when they let VL go I thought that was the direction they were heading.

Anyway, good luck this season, look forward to watching you guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad