Waived: Connauton claimed by Arizona

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Connauton was due a raise in the offseason. His money is going to Werenski. Falk is a UFA and will be gone anyway. It's not really hard to figure out.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Connauton was due a raise in the offseason. His money is going to Werenski. Falk is a UFA and will be gone anyway. It's not really hard to figure out.

That's not good justification unless they're just trying to be slightly worse. If it's between keeping Connauton or a worse player in Falk just for the rest of the year, then you can move Connauton's rights or just not qualify him in the offseason if you don't think he's worth it...a la MDZ in Nashville.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
That's not good justification unless they're just trying to be slightly worse. If it's between keeping Connauton or a worse player in Falk just for the rest of the year, then you can move Connauton's rights or just not qualify him in the offseason if you don't think he's worth it...a la MDZ in Nashville.

This season is shot. Time to come to terms with it. How many points in the standings is Connauton vs Falk worth? Seriously? They moved a contract and the cap hit. That is all they are worried about at this point. Also saves Connuaton from being strung along into the offseason then trying to find a job if we don't qualify him.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I wonder if anyone else put in a claim. The Islanders are down 2 dmen this week although both were right handed. If they did Arizona is higher in the waiver order.

I think he is a good gamble for teams, okay size, pretty agile skater, scored 9 goals or something last year, young, plays for close to NHL minimum which makes him low risk and he is an RFA so if he works out you can keep him for next to nothing (well in NHL terms).

Just seems like we should have been able to flip him for a 5th or 6th round pick.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Well, Porty reported that the Jackets were trying to trade a D and it appeared the deal fell through. If the Isles wanted him, they should have ponied up a late draft choice rather than gambling with the waiver.

Who knows, but in the end, it's a better situation for Connauton (he gets a chance at earning his next contract now as opposed to sitting in Columbus). I'm fine, it's not like he was going to be back next year.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
Well, Porty reported that the Jackets were trying to trade a D and it appeared the deal fell through. If the Isles wanted him, they should have ponied up a late draft choice rather than gambling with the waiver.

No doubt. Jarmo's not that dumb, I'm sure he tried to trade him or the others before waiving him.

I guess it's not a big deal we got him off waivers and lost him off waivers. Getting a late pick would have been great because that would have been buying low and selling...less low.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Remember when GMJK said Connauton's emergence on the PP made Wiz expendable? Good times.

You are likely just off the hip shooting but this constant hanging onto words instead of acts reveals no truth. I understand forecasting the weather through Rilli the cat's opinion but for a Savonian GM to suddenly give completely honest reviews infront of press outlets...

big_Etsa_9874415.jpg

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Be honest with yourselves, we didn't lose a long term piece of the puzzle here folks. We lost a 6-7 dman off the worst team in hockey. Not exactly a crisis.

True. But at the same time, we also have waived Falk or Prout who are probably not better than Connauton

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Yes yes I know plus minus is useless but for a team like this, to have a +10 or whatever and positivie Corsi for two straight years....it makes me think why the **** didnt they waive Justin Falk. Prout is honestly worse than both but I digress

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Fact is, all of them are ****. The fact that any of them are on our NHL roster is bad enough. Arguing about them just makes it worse.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Bodnarchuk I didn't really mind. Connauton I'm a bit more concerned over.

Why are you concerned? Was he going to help us make the playoffs this year? Was he going to be on the team next year? There are enough things to be upset about. No need to be upset about things that don't matter.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
True. But at the same time, we also have waived Falk or Prout who are probably not better than Connauton

They all stink. Why does it matter who we waived? Also, we should have waived the best of the three if we are trying to get the best draft pick possible.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
They all stink. Why does it matter who we waived? Also, we should have waived the best of the three if we are trying to get the best draft pick possible.

I might have gotten lost on the logic here. Wouldn't keeping them hurt our team more than waiving them?

I'll be interested to see what we do, I would have like to have kept someone as our #7 next season but now it could be Prout.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Why are you concerned? Was he going to help us make the playoffs this year? Was he going to be on the team next year? There are enough things to be upset about. No need to be upset about things that don't matter.

Concerned and upset are two different things but, thanks for your quality assumption.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I would have felt more comfortable just dumping Tyutin's salary this summer if Connauton was still on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad