Jan 28, 2018

Attachments

• Clp1OJRUgAES4F1.jpg
    Clp1OJRUgAES4F1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Lame Lambert

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I've said this for years, this team was underachieving. Cappy had no idea what he was doing. When fans can consistently see he was getting out coached from the front of the television, there is a serious problem.
The truth is, this team could make the playoffs with any legit NHL coach.
With Trotz, the sky is the limit...

Reactions: bigtim1988

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I've said this for years, this team was underachieving. Cappy had no idea what he was doing. When fans can consistently see he was getting out coached from the front of the television, there is a serious problem.
The truth is, this team could make the playoffs with any legit NHL coach.
With Trotz, the sky is the limit...

A real shame Hammer wasn't developed by Trotz.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I just came here to post this!!! I don’t expect it to happen but man he makes you believe. This guy is a great coach. Like Al Arbour the great coaches get the best out of players. He’s f***ing awesome!!! He sthe ultimate motivator. I’m ready to suit up!!!

Reactions: dood

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
It's not whether you could perform your job in shorts or not. It's that these little moves force the players to focus on the team and not themselves.
Many years ago, I went to the hotel at which the KC Chiefs of whom I was a big fan were staying. (Henry Stram days). Each player wore a black blazer with the KC arrowhead on the pocket. (Buck Buchanan was a giant, by the way). This helped remind players that their travel was not for pleasure but for the business of playing the game. I think that the point of a dress code is to remind the players that they are professionals and, especially on the road, they have travelled on business and not for pleasure.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Great article about the Trotz system:

The Trotz effect: How the Islanders have done a defensive 180 in 48 games under the new coach
The Trotz effect: How the Islanders have done a defensive...
A defensive system. What kind of newfangled concept is that?

As Trotz said early on, playing defense requires effort. It’s not always fun for the skater. It takes effort, it’s starts and stops, it’s physical, it’s tiring.

But man is it rewarding when everyone buys in.

Reactions: PK Cronin

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A defensive system. What kind of newfangled concept is that?

As Trotz said early on, playing defense requires effort. It’s not always fun for the skater. It takes effort, it’s starts and stops, it’s physical, it’s tiring.

But man is it rewarding when everyone buys in.

Shortly after he was hired he was interviewed in July and said he was going to fix the defense. He said it so matter-of-factly too. He was so sure. I believed him but thought maybe we’d be middle of the pack the first year. It’s unreal that we’ve went from the worst defensive team to the best in just once season. And really not much roster turnover. Different goalie but the team still has success with Greiss.

Anyway, Trotz has been a godsend and he knew he was able to make it happen.

Who would have thought we would go from losing our home grown franchise player and captain to having one of the funniest and successful seasons in so many years.

Reactions: MJF

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Shortly after he was hired he was interviewed in July and said he was going to fix the defense. He said it so matter-of-factly too. He was so sure. I believed him but thought maybe we’d be middle of the pack the first year. It’s unreal that we’ve went from the worst defensive team to the best in just once season. And really not much roster turnover. Different goalie but the team still has success with Greiss.

Anyway, Trotz has been a godsend and he knew he was able to make it happen.

Who would have thought we would go from losing our home grown franchise player and captain to having one of the funniest and successful seasons in so many years.
Yeah, the defensive turnaround is ridiculous. Unbelievable really. I firmly believe that we'd be in a very similar position with a Halak/Greiss tandem. Lehner has been great and I hope we re-sign him but there is a sound structure in place where we no longer have to rely on a goalie to stand on his head and make 45 saves just to give us a chance.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah, the defensive turnaround is ridiculous. Unbelievable really. I firmly believe that we'd be in a very similar position with a Halak/Greiss tandem. Lehner has been great and I hope we re-sign him but there is a sound structure in place where we no longer have to rely on a goalie to stand on his head and make 45 saves just to give us a chance.

I think that’s fair. Halak is having a great season for Boston.

But I’m glad we actually got Lehner because he’s showing he’s capable of playing well even in our system. And he’s young 27.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Great article about the Trotz system:

The Trotz effect: How the Islanders have done a defensive 180 in 48 games under the new coach
The Trotz effect: How the Islanders have done a defensive...

They ran the 1-1-3 in previous seasons too, as I complained about it often because it allows the opposition to gain the red line and dump it in too easily (I still not my favorite), but they're managing the dump ins so much better now. They're breaking out at the top of the circles, lending support, and not leaving the zone early looking for stretch passes. It's beautiful. Also, their re-commitment to blocking shots is important. Remember when we heard Weight didn't want his players blocking shots? Give me this brand of hockey any day.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad