New York Islanders: Confirmed with link : Barry Trotz Islanders Head Coach

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
There is a reason why Lou has rules in place such as players have to be clean shaven. The kids will not understand this. Sorry if there are kids that do not. I don't mean to generalize. But there is a reason why Lawyer's wear suits to court. There are reasons why the Army are clean shaven. It's all about getting into habits that lead to professionalism.

I am not surprised, when Lou came in, he set the tone for the organization. Glad Barzal is not only liking these philosophies, but he is living them. Also when Trotz said when players are not willing to pay the price for success, when he said we will weed you out and they won't be here longer. It just reinforced how this organization went from the dark ages to the new ages.
I agree, partially... As a practicing attorney, I get that I have to wear a suit to court, but I don't think that wearing the suit necessarily makes me more professional. There are tons of people who wear suits to work every day and are either A) Not professional, B) Still bad at their job, or C) Not good people. I would agree that wearing a suit probably makes me "feel" more professional, but in reality, I could be just as good at my job wearing basketball shorts and a tank top if I really wanted to. Like a lot of things in life, it's really just playing the part.

The accountability and work ethic translate to success way more than being clean shaven or dressing more professionally, in my opinion... Then again, I'm probably one of the "kids" you're referring to, so ignore me haha

EDIT: Just to be clear, the accountability and work ethic I'm referring to are 100% a direct result of Lou/BT... Didn't want it to come across like I thought this group of young guys is making these changes on their own.

Reactions: MIK55 and periferal

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't expect Barzal, or any other player, to throw the new management under the bus already, but this isn't a good look for the previous regime at all. What were Weight and Snow letting these guys do that Lamoriello and Trotz have had to correct off the ice?

The inmates ran the asylum. Everyone was buddies and there was no authoritative structure in place.

Now, Lou is clearly the boss. Trotz is clearly the underboss. There’s no confusion. Like the military

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I agree, partially... As a practicing attorney, I get that I have to wear a suit to court, but I don't think that wearing the suit necessarily makes me more professional. There are tons of people who wear suits to work every day and are either A) Not professional, B) Still bad at their job, or C) Not good people. I would agree that wearing a suit probably makes me "feel" more professional, but in reality, I could be just as good at my job wearing basketball shorts and a tank top if I really wanted to. Like a lot of things in life, it's really just playing the part.

The accountability and work ethic translate to success way more than being clean shaven or dressing more professionally, in my opinion... Then again, I'm probably one of the "kids" you're referring to, so ignore me haha

It's not whether you could perform your job in shorts or not. It's that these little moves force the players to focus on the team and not themselves.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
It's not whether you could perform your job in shorts or not. It's that these little moves force the players to focus on the team and not themselves.
Sure, partly... I'm just saying that the problem last year wasn't that Leddy had a beard. This isn't like the phone booth in Superman, where as soon as you shave your face, you straighten out. It's probably been months of BT/Lou drilling it into guys' heads that this is the way you conduct yourself as a responsible professional.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

This is fair. I also have a dress code for work. The kids as you say, and I chuckle probably won't get it. But having a uniform, having to shave, breeds uniformity. It's habitual that translates to the ice. There are no individuals, there is only the logo. Lamoriello is famous for saying it is about the logo not about the player. The Isles are truly like this right now. It may sound like an antiquated rule to have no facial hair, but it goes far deeper than that. I see it very similar to The army, they have rules, in order to maintain order and discipline. Rules have to be followed. Regardless. it's night and day from a Snow to Lamoriello organization.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
This is fair. I also have a dress code for work. The kids as you say, and I chuckle probably won't get it. But having a uniform, having to shave, breeds uniformity. It's habitual that translates to the ice. There are no individuals, there is only the logo. Lamoriello is famous for saying it is about the logo not about the player. The Isles are truly like this right now. It may sound like an antiquated rule to have no facial hair, but it goes far deeper than that. I see it very similar to The army, they have rules, in order to maintain order and discipline. Rules have to be followed. Regardless. it's night and day from a Snow to Lamoriello organization.
100000000% agree it's night and day from the last decade and we should all be VERY thankful of the change that we essentially stumbled into... No one thought Trotz was going to be available or that Lou was going to be phased out in TOR like he was. I truly think 10-15 years from now we're going to look back at this as the pivotal moment for this franchise.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It's one way to run things. There are plenty of successful teams/organizations that have a very loose and relaxed culture. Neither is wrong or right or good or bad. As long as everyone is rowing in the same direction and embraces most of the same concepts, they can achieve their goals.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
100000000% agree it's night and day from the last decade and we should all be VERY thankful of the change that we essentially stumbled into... No one thought Trotz was going to be available or that Lou was going to be phased out in TOR like he was. I truly think 10-15 years from now we're going to look back at this as the pivotal moment for this franchise.

I hope you're right. I thought the same thing back in 2000 though...

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
That's phenomenal, but kind of sad... Does he have a kid that plays or is he just doing it for kicks?

No. Have a feeling it is part of his Islander role. My son is in the younger group, but it is affiliated/sponsored by the Isles. As I had previously stated, my son plays with some of the players and ex-players kids. (Ladd, Seidenberg, Asham, Satan--believe it or not ha still lives on LI) I don't believe he has a kid in the program. He is decked out every weds in the full Isles coaching track suit too. Its awkward.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
No. Have a feeling it is part of his Islander role. My son is in the younger group, but it is affiliated/sponsored by the Isles. As I had previously stated, my son plays with some of the players and ex-players kids. (Ladd, Seidenberg, Asham, Satan--believe it or not ha still lives on LI) I don't believe he has a kid in the program. He is decked out every weds in the full Isles coaching track suit too. Its awkward.
The mental picture I have of him in the tracksuit is absolutely hilarious

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Jeez, I would have thought by now that the UMaine Athletics department would have offered him a job as the Zamboni driver or in the ticket sales booth.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Jun 16, 2011
Jeez, I would have thought by now that the UMaine Athletics department would have offered him a job as the Zamboni driver or in the ticket sales booth.
Drove the franchise straight into a ditch, continuously, for years... Can't take the chance he won't run the Zamboni through the boards.

Reactions: bigtim1988

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don't expect Barzal, or any other player, to throw the new management under the bus already, but this isn't a good look for the previous regime at all. What were Weight and Snow letting these guys do that Lamoriello and Trotz have had to correct off the ice?

Did you need a Tweet from Andrew Gross to tell you this? Only been screaming about it for years how inept everyone under wang was (and still is).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Did you need a Tweet from Andrew Gross to tell you this? Only been screaming about it for years how inept everyone under wang was (and still is).

Obviously they were inept, I want to know specifically what they were letting them do that Lamoriello and Trotz put a stop to.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We are so lucky to have you. Best of all, you repeated it at least a thousand times in case anyone missed it. Thank you.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Obviously they were inept, I want to know specifically what they were letting them do that Lamoriello and Trotz put a stop to.

A part of me does and a part of me doesn't. I know it was horrible, but it may be so much worse than we thought. At least they only had Barzal for one season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad