Speculation: Confidence of the NHL staying in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Touchy subject, but with the NHL about to make an announcement about expansion, it'd be nice to get a feel about how exactly confident you are of staying in Phoenix.

They are not going anywhere. The NHL has spent 20 yrs. developing this market and they are not going to leave now. The Coyotes are in the best position they have ever been in with stability, NHL talent and high end prospects. To grow their product the NHL needs teams in the non traditional market. The only place they have failed was Atlanta.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
100% next season.

25% season after.

This new arena stuff is starting to strike me as hot air. They'll just delay, promise, delay, promise and then at the last minute, announce they've sold for relo. About 12mo from now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Considering the announcement is coming right before the draft, 0%. That was the cutoff date for Leblancs supposed arena announcement. League pulls the plug if they don't figure something out.

rt

May 13, 2004
Considering the announcement is coming right before the draft, 0%. That was the cutoff date for Leblancs supposed arena announcement. League pulls the plug if they don't figure something out.

For this season? No way. We've got another year at GRA. They'll take their time. And they'll keep singing and dancing and leading us on.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
For this season? No way. We've got another year at GRA. They'll take their time. And they'll keep singing and dancing and leading us on.

Not worth the risk it leaks and becomes a PR nightmare for the league.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
100% next season.

25% season after.

This new arena stuff is starting to strike me as hot air. They'll just delay, promise, delay, promise and then at the last minute, announce they've sold for relo. About 12mo from now.

Pretty much this. Expect an announcement mid may, now before the draft, I'm starting to smell some bull****. We've been lead on before and this is feeling very similar. Yes of course Greg jamison has the money, hey we have multiple cities bidding for us..... Sure hope I'm wrong.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Exactly. It's the same over and over.

I understand that, however, what needs to be done to squash the rumors? Obviously where there is smoke, there is fire, and everyone has Arizona and Carolina pegged as the teams likely to be moved.

I think the Yotes are good next year, but the year after is the one that scares me.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
There will always be rumors, there will always be uncertainty. Nothing will change that. Sign a 30 years lease? That's been done. Get a new arena. Been done. Get an owner? Been done. Have the greatest player/face in the league be a part owner? Done.

But there's an unending list of what people THINK would "squash the rumors." That's not possible. The only thing that would temporarily do that would be to win a cup.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
With Las Vegas and Quebec City likely getting expansion franchises, where would we go? Seattle is as bad of a hockey environment as Phoenix, the definition of fair weather. Kansas City I think would be a good place to go but they've expressed no interest. Unless if a shot in the dark comes around, I'm quite certain we're staying in Arizona

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
If I'm understanding the circumstances correctly. For a city to get an expansion team, GB is asking for $500m, however, if someone where to buy a team and move them, then it would be a lot cheaper.

At least thats my understanding of why people are discussing relocation more than expanding.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
With Las Vegas and Quebec City likely getting expansion franchises, where would we go? Seattle is as bad of a hockey environment as Phoenix, the definition of fair weather. Kansas City I think would be a good place to go but they've expressed no interest. Unless if a shot in the dark comes around, I'm quite certain we're staying in Arizona

They have concerns about QC never paying the full price due to exchange rate and starting Vegas off on a bad foot with an expansion team, plus further dividing revenue. There's a lot of significant reasons the Coyotes would be moved, very few solid ones they'd stay.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
If I'm understanding the circumstances correctly. For a city to get an expansion team, GB is asking for $500m, however, if someone where to buy a team and move them, then it would be a lot cheaper.

At least thats my understanding of why people are discussing relocation more than expanding.

Who's discussing relocation more than expansion? I haven't heard a thing about relocation in months, and everything I've read is talking about expansion and even expansion draft rules. Hell the B.O.G. are having a meeting in 3 weeks where expansion is one of the main things on the docket.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Who's discussing relocation more than expansion? I haven't heard a thing about relocation in months, and everything I've read is talking about expansion and even expansion draft rules. Hell the B.O.G. are having a meeting in 3 weeks where expansion is one of the main things on the docket.

XM radio for one.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
It might warrant being split up into polls like "next year","2017-18","five years from now"...but we've got all summer for that.

for that group of polls my answers would be 100,75,50

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
It might warrant being split up into polls like "next year","2017-18","five years from now"...but we've got all summer for that.

That's fair. I figured I'd keep this somewhat basic.

I also think I had 3 years in my head when writing it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In terms of expansion....

Vegas is a done deal IMO

I don't believe Quebec will happen.

Seattle is very interesting but they're not even close on an arena.

Houston is also interesting, has an arena, but there are some other issues at play with that.

Beyond that, no other market is particularly interesting to me.

rt

May 13, 2004

Mine would be 100 next year. 25 the year after and then either 0 or 100 for the five years after that.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I understand that, however, what needs to be done to squash the rumors?

In my experience, the only way to quash the rumors would be if every town in Canada with decent population to semi-support an NHL team had one. I mean why not move Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Dallas, Nashville, LA, Anaheim, and San Jose to Canadian towns? That would leave Arizona in warmer climates and the rumors would dissipate (for a while) :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad