Speculation: Confidence of the NHL staying in Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
With Las Vegas and Quebec City likely getting expansion franchises, where would we go? Seattle is as bad of a hockey environment as Phoenix, the definition of fair weather. Kansas City I think would be a good place to go but they've expressed no interest. Unless if a shot in the dark comes around, I'm quite certain we're staying in Arizona

+1

Seattle would basically be the 2nd coming of the Phoenix market, but there is a 50/50 chance I move there so having the Yotes in Seattle would be funny and cool... I'll let you guys know in 2 weeks...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Don't forget about Portland, another possible option for relocation.

One thing the NHL will never run out of is options.

Seattle. Portland. Friggin' HARTFORD is working on a new or upgraded arena. Houston might enter the mix at some point. Milwaukee is getting NHL-caliber ice in their new barn.

There will be no relief from the relocation rumors until an ownership group provides this franchise with local stability. Our current owners have proven incapable of this.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Kind of my thoughts really. Also, I don't think the Yotes will be the first to go, as I think that distinction goes to Carolina.

Agree about Carolina too. There are even rumors about Florida. This is really just a wait and see situation.

Ownership is making good moves by bringing in an AHL team (of course this could be just to lessen the blow) and getting so involved with ASU hockey. But we all know the Coyotes can't play at Oceanside so if an actual venue isn't announced soon my view of them having a 50% chance of staying is going to start dropping.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
It seems like the most likely cities to get a team are (in order):

LV (Considered a Done Deal)
Seattle
Quebec
Portland

If the team HAD to move, my preferences (note--I'm assuming LV will get its expansion team):
  1. Portland - I have only been around Portland once, but I would still try to schedule a vacation to watch the team at some point
  2. Seattle - Lived in Washington for a bit near Seattle (roughly 19 years ago), but wouldn't mind returning to catch my former favorite NHL team play some games
  3. Kansas City - I probably wouldn't vacation in KC, but it would be a decent location
  4. Quebec City - Again, I most likely wouldn't visit, but it would be nice if a team could return there (just not my Coyotes)

Last edited:

Feb 12, 2003
It was a worthy attempt, but I think the wrong question is being asked. It could have been something like, "How long do you think the Coyotes will remain in AZ?" Then you could list 1, 5, 10, 20+ years.

In the short term I think they stay so the NHL can get the expansion money. Once that expansion money is collected then I think one of two things happens. 1) The expansion money helps keep the team in AZ a year or two longer, or 2) The team leaves to a market that lost out on expansion or preferred an established team for the price.

Ultimately I think the Coyotes will remain in Arizona the next 5 or so seasons, more or less, but I don't put much hope in them staying beyond that.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't follow the arena situation, the politics or relocation very closely so maybe someone could fill me in. Why would Ownership buy a farm team and move them to the desert one season before relocating the big club elsewhere?

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
It was a worthy attempt, but I think the wrong question is being asked. It could have been something like, "How long do you think the Coyotes will remain in AZ?" Then you could list 1, 5, 10, 20+ years.

I think 100% they'll be in AZ for 5 years. 75% for 10+ years.

Even if there is a a issue with current arena negotiations, (draft becomes next season, becomes Christmas etc) I'm sure the team could play in a less than ideal situation downtown for a few years while waiting for a new building to be built somewhere in valley.

And a new building is gonna be built in the valley, the Suns need a replacement.

I don't follow the arena situation, the politics or relocation very closely so maybe someone could fill me in. Why would Ownership buy a farm team and move them to the desert one season before relocating the big club elsewhere?

I really don't know. Everything IA has done has been to solidify the Coyotes growth in Arizona. I don't see them giving the team up anytime soon. Especially with the financial side of the team showing improvement.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Because they'd sell the NHL team for relo (thus no longer owning the team) and then move the AHL team to the Phoenix market and get to play with their toy as hobbyists with extra capital and less skin in the game. These are hedge fund players, remember.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Because they'd sell the NHL team for relo (thus no longer owning the team) and then move the AHL team to the Phoenix market and get to play with their toy as hobbyists with extra capital and less skin in the game. These are hedge fund players, remember.

Yep. "Flip This Team." It's what everyone was suspecting of Andy Barroway when he came into the ownership group.

The difference between how they have worked with Glendale and how they have to this point worked with Tucson could not be more stark. But I also think that if they were going to sell the team they wouldn't be bothering with investing in front-office infrastructure, given that a new owner would want his own assets in place. So at this point I have no idea what their real endgame is.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
As my license plate says HR2STA. 100% staying for 20+ years. They don't put an AHL team in Tucson if they were planning to leave.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
AHL teams get moved and change affiliations all the time and it's an irreverent factor towards the future of the NHL team for better or for worse.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
As my license plate says HR2STA. 100% staying for 20+ years. They don't put an AHL team in Tucson if they were planning to leave.

A Tucson AHL team works equally well for an NHL team in Las Vegas, Portland, or Seattle. Just saying.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
AHL teams get moved and change affiliations all the time and it's an irreverent factor towards the future of the NHL team for better or for worse.

(those AHL teams, always joking around..no respect at all, I tell ya, none. :) )

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
XM radio for one.

The Sirius XM NHL Channel? Live from Toronto. I have listened to them on and off for quite some time. Their talking heads, from Scott Laughlin to Mick Kearns, were cheerleading the Make it 7 campaign, first openly pushing for the Coyotes to move to Hamilton, then to the Puke.

No surprise that they're at it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad