Confidence in Babcock (Part II)

What playoff result would regain your confidence in Babcock?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I love Babcock. Definitely have confidence in him if not simply for his winning pedigree, and the trust that the likes of Shanahan, Dubas, etc, seem to have in him. He's made questionable decisions with the lineup pretty much every season with the Leafs, and his tactics have made me raise my eyebrows. But he has also shown willingness to change and adapt, which I really love. Last season he moved in younger guys like Johnsson, Kapanen, and Dermott, and reduced the roles of guys who weren't cutting it, like Martin & Komarov.

However, I would say that the main reason the team underperforms on some nights can often be attributed to his tactics. I do think that Toronto is having a fine season, and a lot of the Babcock hate is a knee-jerk reaction to losses and bad games. However, I also think that there are ways to optimize the skills of our current player personnel, and Babcock isn't grabbing as many of them as he should. Some things, like the stretch pass, our poor defensive zone coverage, or just line combinations and ice-time, seem like pretty obvious changes to make that would make the team more consistently lethal.

For me to regain full confidence in Babcock, I would need to see him outcoach Cassidy, and have the Leafs soundly beat Boston in Round 1. I'm not talking about chasing linematchups, I'm talking about adjusting our tactics so that the Bruins cannot stop our offense from rolling over them in waves. No more easy to snuff out stretch passes and poor neutral zone play. Come up with an effective breakout, d-zone structure. Come up with line combinations that don't make it easy for Boston to target certain positions (ie. right-side defense). Get creative, throw Muzzin & Rielly together, or Dermott & Rielly, something that will get the puck out of our zone, and into Boston's. Then I will have hope for Babcock to bring this team to a Cup.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Last season he moved in younger guys like Johnsson, Kapanen, and Dermott, and reduced the roles of guys who weren't cutting it, like Martin & Komarov.

1. He brought in Kap last playoffs as a 4th liner, with limited ToI despite him scoring and making great plays. Heck he was the guy who put us up in Gm7. This season he started a 4th liner and if it werent for Nylander gone, Brown sucking, and Ennis being 5'9. He wouldnt ever been tried on top lines.

2. As much as he demoted Komorov, I wonder how much of it was HIS decision vs another coach or some players rambling because he was put on the top line with Matthews during the playoffs. I still am haunted by that to this day.

3. Lastly, this season it took 90% of the season to demote Brown. From Top line, 2nd, 3rd, and now 4th sometimes.

Marleau was slotted higher than 3rd line sometimes despite him being horrible this season. Same thing as last season IMO, he has a blind spot for guys who always happen to be less skilled but very hard workers.

He doesnt realize talent with other talent at 70% is greater than hardworking plugs at 100%

The Bolts have HIGH level Talent, and they are constructed so the talent they have of skating, passing and shooting, makes it so they have to work less hard by keeping Possession. They were barely sweating passing and skating and creating chances. They only have to work hard in short bursts to battle the puck.

THAT is what the leafs are capable of.
No idea why our coach has our skilled fast skating, great puck handling and sharp shooting team playing dump and chase like the Islanders. We tried it and got destroyed on the forecheck.

And that right there is the Babcock problem.
Him and Cooper are the only 2 coaches who have virtually identical Ferraris...

Only 1 guy knows you take it to the track and not the dirt road to win races.

Lets hope we beat the Bruins

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1. He brought in Kap last playoffs as a 4th liner, with limited ToI despite him scoring and making great plays. Heck he was the guy who put us up in Gm7. This season he started a 4th liner and if it werent for Nylander gone, Brown sucking, and Ennis being 5'9. He wouldnt ever been tried on top lines.

2. As much as he demoted Komorov, I wonder how much of it was HIS decision vs another coach or some players rambling because he was put on the top line with Matthews during the playoffs. I still am haunted by that to this day.

3. Lastly, this season it took 90% of the season to demote Brown. From Top line, 2nd, 3rd, and now 4th sometimes.

Marleau was slotted higher than 3rd line sometimes despite him being horrible this season. Same thing as last season IMO, he has a blind spot for guys who always happen to be less skilled but very hard workers.

He doesnt realize talent with other talent at 70% is greater than hardworking plugs at 100%

The Bolts have HIGH level Talent, and they are constructed so the talent they have of skating, passing and shooting, makes it so they have to work less hard by keeping Possession. They were barely sweating passing and skating and creating chances. They only have to work hard in short bursts to battle the puck.

THAT is what the leafs are capable of.
No idea why our coach has our skilled fast skating, great puck handling and sharp shooting team playing dump and chase like the Islanders. We tried it and got destroyed on the forecheck.

And that right there is the Babcock problem.
Him and Cooper are the only 2 coaches who have virtually identical Ferraris...

Only 1 guy knows you take it to the track and not the dirt road to win races.

Lets hope we beat the Bruins

yep.

like last year, though, it seems like circumstance is finally forcing his hand after him screwing around all year, and it looks like we'll end up with the right lines in the end:

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Moore - Goat - Brown

personally I'd hope Moore would replace Marleau on the 3rd line but that's pretty close.

unfortunately circumstance hasn't helped on defense, and we may be locked in to seeing hainsey and zaitsev on the top pairs even though they're the #5 & 6 dmen, while our bottom pair will feature our #3 & #4 dmen.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
'16: #30 pts%, #30 row, #29 gdiff
'17: #14 pts%, #16 row, #14 gdiff
'18: #7 pts%, #9 row, #6 gdiff
'19: #6 pts%, #4 row, #3 gdiff

so the team continues to improve, but....

'16: #15 cf%, #11 scf%, #30 sh%, #23 sv%
'17: #9 cf%, #5 scf%, #10 sh%, #11 sv%
'18: #14 cf%, #6 scf%, #5 sh%, #5 sv%
'19: #10 cf%, #9 scf%, #4 sh%, #5 sv%

.....looks to me like the improvement is mostly talent related, not coaching related.

Reactions: LindrosLeafs88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad