Confidence in Babcock (Part II)

What playoff result would regain your confidence in Babcock?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yup and a coach's systems - maybe the players are so frustrated by it, they get deflated. I mean AM has mentioned how they do the same thing over and over again and don't make changes....
Players are pros, but also human. Respect is a big thing

Why is it babcock is given credit for developing players when they do well, but when they're not, it has nothing to do with coaching!?
Can you point me to all the praise Babs received for developing player I must have missed that thread? How it works around here is if the kid becomes good it's his own hard work and talent and if he fails it because of Babcock.

Your last paragraph is laughable spin bro.

And as an aside, Babs has done an outstanding job developing a lot of our young players. Some get impatient but I see tons of success stories, so obviously the program is working.

And that comment from AM, who cares. You detractors read everything into anything to support the Babs narrative. He made a comment, big whoop.

Does he love Babs? Again who cares, it's never been a prerequisite for winning in pro sports. Just do your job AM, grow your game and push the team forward. Everything else is beyond irrelevant. He wanted to sign a max deal here, clearly he can't stand the coach...zzzzz.

All I know, here we sit on the cusp of our best season ever (with very few loser padding points either) and it's just a Babs whine fest around here, feeding on itself. It's comical really, and that's doesn't mean he doesn't deserve scrutiny either. That's really not what most of this is though...back to hoping we lose so we can can the coach...what a messed up head space to live in.

Reactions: nsleaf and hoglund

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
All I know, here we sit on the cusp of our best season ever (with very few loser padding points either) and it's just a Babs whine fest around here, feeding on itself. It's comical really, and that's doesn't mean he doesn't deserve scrutiny either. That's really not what most of this is though...back to hoping we lose so we can can the coach...what a messed up head space to live in.

Yet here you are participating in it. I get a kick out of these folks, they want to pretend to be above the whining yet they'll not only participate in it themselves, but berate others for partaking in it. The irony is just hilarious.

"The cusp of our best season ever" LMAO omg, gimme a f***ing break with this garbage already. What in god's name is the point of judging our success relative to previous seasons? This organization has been pure trash for eons, why would you ever want to use that as a measuring stick?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Can you point me to all the praise Babs received for developing player I must have missed that thread? How it works around here is if the kid becomes good it's his own hard work and talent and if he fails it because of Babcock.

And as an aside, Babs has done an outstanding job developing a lot of our young players. Some get impatient but I see tons of success stories, so obviously the program is working.

And that comment from AM, who cares. You detractors read everything into anything to support the Babs narrative. He made a comment, big whoop.

Does he love Babs? Again who cares, it's never been a prerequisite for winning in pro sports. Just do your job AM, grow your game and push the team forward. Everything else is beyond irrelevant. He wanted to sign a max deal here, clearly he can't stand the coach...zzzzz.

I find it particularly interesting that it seems to be a lot of the same folks who have been ragging on him from the get-go for his use of guys like Hyman, and all the "gud pro" nonsense, complaining that he wasn't using his skill players enough, and now they're blaming Babcock for the fact that the skill guys aren't showing the compete and hard work that they want to see... At some point you've gotta realize you're just going in circles, don't you?

Some folks will never be happy, though. Doesn't matter if we've got the best goal-scorer in the League, are a top-5 team in the League, are on pace for our franchise-best season, or that the vast majority of our core is still developing - what we've got just won't be good enough.

Reactions: DarkKnight

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Unless the meta has changed drastically the Leafs won't make any push in the playoffs until Phil Kessel's retained salary comes off the books.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
In a weird way, I hope we lose badly so there's a change. We ain't beating Boston and Tampa and whoever else. I rather get humiliated in the first round if it means changes happen in the coaching dept.

This would be a the best case scenario. I’d rather get swept by Boston then lose in 6 or 7. Changes are made when humiliation happens. If we get it to 7 games it’ll stay the same and people saying “so close”. Get rid of this bum coach.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Get what you’re saying and I won’t speak for others but I just think this team could be a whole lot better than whait is. I see guys not engaged, systems that don’t work, lines that fail but continue on anyway, special teams that are mediocre at best, defensive breakdowns full time, and a guy who talks a lot but rewards select few.
I don’t have to like him, I don’t care about his former accomplishments and I don’t want to be regular season champs

I was very excited about this season but there’s just something wrong with either the makeup of this team, the coaching staff not just Babcock or both
They do well in the playoffs then I’m a moron

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

Babs has received plenty of praise for the development of Marner (4th line duty first year), Kadri (giving him defensive responsibility), and Reilly (keeping him off the PP to develop his defensive skills). But how some people continue to praise and gush about this guy because of past accomplishments and can't see the disastrous employment of lines, defensive zone coverage, stretch pass, lack of in game adjustments, catering to veterans (Marleau, Hainsey) and plugs (Brown, Hyman), and stubborn to the point of obstinacy, just makes me shake my head.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Get what you’re saying and I won’t speak for others but I just think this team could be a whole lot better than whait is. I see guys not engaged, systems that don’t work, lines that fail but continue on anyway, special teams that are mediocre at best, defensive breakdowns full time, and a guy who talks a lot but rewards select few.
I don’t have to like him, I don’t care about his former accomplishments and I don’t want to be regular season champs

I was very excited about this season but there’s just something wrong with either the makeup of this team, the coaching staff not just Babcock or both
They do well in the playoffs then I’m a moron
You raise a great point SAM. I know we have a very good team, exciting some nights, lots of talent and skill. More than we've had for decades. But too many nights I'm angry at what I see on the ice and the decisions that are made. I should be enjoying this supposedly great season alot more than I am. I feel that's true for a lot of people and the blame can be put squarely on Babcock, where it should be. The decisions he makes are head-scratching and the defensive structure non-existent too many nights. Add to that the apparent alienation of a few of our young stars, and I can't see how people support this guy.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
You raise a great point SAM. I know we have a very good team, exciting some nights, lots of talent and skill. More than we've had for decades. But too many nights I'm angry at what I see on the ice and the decisions that are made. I should be enjoying this supposedly great season alot more than I am. I feel that's true for a lot of people and the blame can be put squarely on Babcock, where it should be. The decisions he makes are head-scratching and the defensive structure non-existent too many nights. Add to that the apparent alienation of a few of our young stars, and I can't see how people support this guy.

And it's not just nit-picking. Fans, media, sports journalists look at some of the decisions made and it's like wtf? Really? And enough of the battle of the wills, work together to be better

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
This would be a the best case scenario. I’d rather get swept by Boston then lose in 6 or 7. Changes are made when humiliation happens. If we get it to 7 games it’ll stay the same and people saying “so close”. Get rid of this bum coach.
Yup, if we push them to 6 or 7 games nothing will change.

Reactions: killer1980

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If they lose to the Hawks they might as well pack it in this season and go golfing.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
That was it for me. Tonight is the night I'm absolutely done with him.
This team and their "structure" is just keep getting worse and worse.

Unfortunately, we won't fire him because of his reputation.

Tough years coming up guys. We will see an ubelievably talented team with no structure or system at all for years. Once we, or Dubas has the courage to change the whole coaching staff. Watch out.

If you dont think there is pain coming, there is pain coming.
Well, I didn't know you were thinking of this, Mr. Babcock.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
The statician in me doesn’t want to overreact because I recognize hockey is a stupidly random sport and this team can and probably will look like a contender next week. The Leaf fan side of me knows I’m going to get let down again like I have every year since I started watching this team 25 years ago. The only season I haven’t been let down was 2016-17.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That was it for me. Tonight is the night I'm absolutely done with him.
This team and their "structure" is just keep getting worse and worse.

Unfortunately, we won't fire him because of his reputation.

Tough years coming up guys. We will see an ubelievably talented team with no structure or system at all for years. Once we, or Dubas has the courage to change the whole coaching staff. Watch out.

If you dont think there is pain coming, there is pain coming.
Well, I didn't know you were thinking of this, Mr. Babcock.
Babcock should be fired after this game.

I'm not willing to throw away another season with this roster. A roster that, due to stupid contracts "negotiated" by our rookie GM, will likely be worse next season.

We need a coach that will get the most out this roster. A coach that makes the team better than the list of individuals. A coach that makes this team more than the sum of the apparent talent.

Not the drag everyone down to the mean Babcock.

FIRE THAT DUMBf*** NOW.

Dubas, It's on you now.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I was hoping Babcock would have started Sparks tonight to give Andersson more of a break until Friday. He has not looked good (as well as some bad bounces). However, the team’s defensive structure really looks confused, and that is coaching. If Trots in Long Island can turn his team into a defensive juggernaut, why can’t Babcock come up with better tactics for the Leafs to employ?
I honestly believe the players don’t have confidence in the system they are playing, and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad