Speculation: Compliance buyout:Franzen

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Let's just go full stops and re-sign Hossa, reverse the Lang trade for Mike Green and call it a day! :sarcasm:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The floating Franzen did in the 3rd period last game was probably the most I've ever seen from him, especially with the game still on the line. There was one time Alfie or Weiss gave him a perfect pass but he didn't even bother to reach for it, then softly turned around instead of trying to take it back even though he was 110% gonna be first on the puck. He didn't even go through the motions like he usually does.

Not sure what Babcock is telling him after a play like that, but I know for sure it's not working. I truly think that Franzen is a guy who needs a good benching and bag skate once in a while. He should've been benched there on the spot. And bag skated yesterday. With his team mates watching.

Anyway, if he's gonna drag his linemates down he's not worth the effort anymore. He might score his 20 goals or whatever due to PP and the occassional flash, but I can only imagine how many goals he will take away from Weiss and Alfie in the process if he plays like that for 30-40 games this season. If playing with one of the best and most respected Swedish players ever can't get him riled up, I don't think anything will.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Not sure what Babcock is telling him after a play like that, but I know for sure it's not working. I truly think that Franzen is a guy who needs a good benching and bag skate once in a while. He should've been benched there on the spot. And bag skated yesterday. With his team mates watching.

I agree. I'm not sure if Franzen is still bothered by the hip flexor (and if he is, he needs to go on IR and let Tatar play) or if he's just still got a case of lazy floater blues, but something has to happen here. He can't continue to just play like he doesn't give a damn, because he's a detriment to the team when he does.

Bench him, and preferably for two or three games.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Would be very tight
But signing Semin would have meant no Sammy, No Tootoo.
We'd not have been able to sign Aflie or Cleary or Miller.
We'd have been forced to use Tatar and Nyquist.

In retrospect, spending big bucks on a guy like Semin is a good thing because it forces you to make hard decisions on guys like Sammy.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Mikhal Grabovski ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.715m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Landon Ferraro ($0.709m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) / Danny DeKeyser ($0.874m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,172,420; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $127,580

Stop torturing yourself with the what ifs, and what could have beens... :p:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Mikhal Grabovski ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.715m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Landon Ferraro ($0.709m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)

All I can say is...... wow

It's crazy what is possible when you don't tie up a ton of money in your bottom 6 to crappy vets.

I hope people can see now why posters like RWN and myself advocate for filling in the bottom half of your roster with young talent, like the Blackhawks. It opens a world of possibilty.

RedWingsNow*

We need to stop handing out $2 and $3M dollar deals to 33-year-old suckers.

We need to start paying real-market prices for stars.
Paying high prices makes you use youth. It forces you to cut back on players you don't really need anyway.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
We need to stop handing out $2 and $3M dollar deals to 33-year-old suckers.

We need to start paying real-market prices for stars.
Paying high prices makes you use youth. It forces you to cut back on players you don't really need anyway.
I think what you're describing is Holland's obsession with DEPTH. Nyquist in GR is good to him because it gives him MORE DEPTH. Cleary was good because DEPTH. Emmerton in GR (stealing icetime from prospects) because DEPTH.

The team needs to stop sacrificing top end talent for depth. It made sense to do that when the team had a dynamite, unstoppable core, but it doesn't anymore. The team isn't talented enough today.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
All I can say is...... wow

It's crazy what is possible when you don't tie up a ton of money in your bottom 6 to crappy vets.

I hope people can see now why posters like RWN and myself advocate for filling in the bottom half of your roster with young talent, like the Blackhawks. It opens a world of possibilty.

And when you completely ignore how poor the defensive core is. :sarcasm:

RedWingsNow*

I think what you're describing is Holland's obsession with DEPTH. Nyquist in GR is good to him because it gives him MORE DEPTH. Cleary was good because DEPTH. Emmerton in GR (stealing icetime from prospects) because DEPTH.

The team needs to stop sacrificing top end talent for depth. It made sense to do that when the team had a dynamite, unstoppable core, but it doesn't anymore. The team isn't talented enough today.

The kind of depth we're talking about are available in our minors or on the UFA market for a song.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Well it's the same poor defensive core we'd currently have anyways.

But maybe those forward lines would generate a lot more goals, which would lead to winning hockey games?:dunno:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Well it's the same poor defensive core we'd currently have anyways.

But maybe those forward lines would generate a lot more goals, which would lead to winning hockey games?:dunno:

Maybe, but I'd rather pass on Grabovski and make a serious upgrade to the defense if we were looking at that roster.

The point is to be a Stanley Cup contender, right?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Agree with you that we need to upgrade the D, but if Kenny had RWN's lineup right now, he'd be in a position to send Smith or Kindl and a top prospect or 2 along with picks (basically, whatever it would take) in a deal for a high-end d-man. The clock is ticking on continuing to rely on D & Z to carry the offense and team overall.

Of course, that's complete fantasy land as Kenny would have had to pull the trigger on a high priced signing in Semin, liquidated his collection of washed up vets, and THEN be willing to move some assets in an aggressive deal for a defenseman.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I'd like to see them stick him in a PK and 3rd line role first - he seems like he plays better when he's on a crappy line. Makes him realize he's not Mario Lemieux and that he actually has to work hard to get things done out there.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Trade for Thomas Vanek and hopefully he signs long term with Detroit, And then Complience Buy Out Franzen next summer. That would be sweet.

That would work, provided Vanek is signed long-term before we buy Franzen out.

Either way, I'm still in favor of buying out Franzen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad