Speculation: Compliance buyout:Franzen

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Franzen won't be bought out. Not Holland's MO. I'd love to see it and last offseason was the perfect time to do it. He's here for the long haul. No one will trade for that contract with the possible cap penalties down the road.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
At least 3 of those shouldn't be back next year and are on their last year. Hopefully Holland figures it out.

Yeah but I've been on this road before. The cautiously optimistic only to be shot down road.

We'll see but I have a bad feeling about it.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
When you sign a Daniel Cleary and a Sammy, the message is we embrce mediocrity. Right up Mule's alley

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Yeah but I've been on this road before. The cautiously optimistic only to be shot down road.

Sammy 0%
#71 90-95%
Bert 25%
Eaves 10-15%
Quincey 5%

I just went to Cap Geek. On the front page.. How did this happen? How? Philly, Detroit and Carolina all stink. I know there's like 5 other teams with no cap space at all. But it's funny to see teams 1-3 all being pretty bad thus far.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

I agree with what you're saying, but I'm willing to bet Bert is retiring at the end of this season, Alfie is gone, and Sammy may retire or not be brought back. Too many of our guys won't be waiver exempt after this year for anyone, even Holland, to continue on this same course.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Franzen won't be bought out. Not Holland's MO. I'd love to see it and last offseason was the perfect time to do it. He's here for the long haul. No one will trade for that contract with the possible cap penalties down the road.

The cap penalties affect the Red Wings, not the team that trades for him.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
people love to whine about effort level when it comes to Franzen but the bottom line is the guy flat out produces and is remarkably consistent about that production from year to year

Franzen's goal and point pace from 2007-08(the year he started scoring goals) on:

2007-08: 31 goals/43 points
2008-09: 39 goals/68 points
2009-10: 30 goals/64 points(smaller sample size,only played 27 games due to injury)
2010-11: 30 goals/59 points
2011-12: 31 goals/60 points
2012-13: 28 goals/62 points(smaller sample size,lockout year)

it doesn't get much more consistent than that

now,is it worth at least seriously considering a buyout? sure,that recapture could potentially be brutal and it would be stupid not to at least take that into consideration

but people take this whole effort thing way too seriously

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
In my opinion his point production isn't the main issue, it's his lack of effort. He looks as though he looks for reasons to lay on the ice, or skate to the bench, or generally do nothing. Franzen looks so lazy out there I just hope an opponent punches him in the face.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
people love to whine about effort level when it comes to Franzen but the bottom line is the guy flat out produces and is remarkably consistent about that production from year to year

Franzen's goal and point pace from 2007-08(the year he started scoring goals) on:

2007-08: 31 goals/43 points
2008-09: 39 goals/68 points
2009-10: 30 goals/64 points(smaller sample size,only played 27 games due to injury)
2010-11: 30 goals/59 points
2011-12: 31 goals/60 points
2012-13: 28 goals/62 points(smaller sample size,lockout year)

it doesn't get much more consistent than that

now,is it worth at least seriously considering a buyout? sure,that recapture could potentially be brutal and it would be stupid not to at least take that into consideration

but people take this whole effort thing way too seriously

If the Wings were to fire Babcock and I knew Holland would cut the cord on the garbage vets. I have no problem keeping Mule if I knew Holland would be proactive in adding some quality free agents and the new coach would play the young talented players.

RedWingsNow*

If you just look at a small sample of numbers and ignore overall context, sure.

But wasn't this thread supposed to be about Franzen and whether it would be a smart idea to buy him out?

They are the best and only numbers we have, comparing Modano to Alfie

This thread is about Franzen and whether to buy him out. And when you consider that, you need to take into account all kinds of factors -- including possible replacements.

My point was if we replace him, I don't want it to be an old guy

crashman

In my opinion his point production isn't the main issue, it's his lack of effort. He looks as though he looks for reasons to lay on the ice, or skate to the bench, or generally do nothing. Franzen looks so lazy out there I just hope an opponent punches him in the face.

It's strange because I think Franzen still has it in him to go beast-mode if he's engaged in the game, but it seems like with every passing year he's less and less susceptible to reach that point. I think his anxiety has a lot to do with how he tries to avoid attention. He's seriously been a ghost for the past couple years.

He played well in the WCs for Sweden, but I think it's a different atmosphere for him there.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
They are the best and only numbers we have, comparing Modano to Alfie

This thread is about Franzen and whether to buy him out. And when you consider that, you need to take into account all kinds of factors -- including possible replacements.

My point was if we replace him, I don't want it to be an old guy

That I agree with.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
I'd need to see what the contracts look like.

If Gabby comes in at $6.5+ for 5 years and Grabovski at 5M for 5 years then yeah, I stay with Grabovski.

I loved the idea of Gaborik for years, but the clock is ticking on his career and given the age of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, I would urge caution on signing any injury prone 32-year-olds

Love the thought of Grabo on the team; he has good hands, highly competitive and works in all 3 zones, good speed, and is hard to knock off the puck. He would prove to be an interesting addition to the second/third line

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Love the thought of Grabo on the team; he has good hands, highly competitive and works in all 3 zones, good speed, and is hard to knock off the puck. He would prove to be an interesting addition to the second/third line

The Wings had their chance at players like Grabo and Semin. They passed. Is that Holland or Babcock or both? How sweet would a line of

Semin-Datsyuk-Grabo

be?

RedWingsNow*

Would be very tight
But signing Semin would have meant no Sammy, No Tootoo.
We'd not have been able to sign Aflie or Cleary or Miller.
We'd have been forced to use Tatar and Nyquist.

In retrospect, spending big bucks on a guy like Semin is a good thing because it forces you to make hard decisions on guys like Sammy.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Mikhal Grabovski ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.715m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Landon Ferraro ($0.709m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) / Danny DeKeyser ($0.874m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,172,420; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $127,580

RedWingsNow*

The Wings had their chance at players like Grabo and Semin. They passed. Is that Holland or Babcock or both? How sweet would a line of

Semin-Datsyuk-Grabo

be?

Those guys have enough speed, skill and and defense to keep Pavel fresh, too.

RedWingsNow*

Would be very tight

In retrospect, spending big bucks on a guy like Semin is a good thing because it forces you to make hard decisions on guys like Sammy.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Mikhal Grabovski ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
------

There's actually a little more room than it shows here, because Pavel's new contract

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Would be very tight

So... basically a perfect roster.

Okay.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Would be very tight

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
------

I'd rather skip on Grabo (assuming we have Semin) and make some effort to get a top-4 defenseman, considering what he have seen with our current defensive core. Of course if you buyout Franzen, you can still get Grabovski and improve the defensive core.

RedWingsNow*

I'd rather skip on Grabo (assuming we have Semin) and make some effort to get a top-4 defenseman, considering what he have seen with our current defensive core. Of course if you buyout Franzen, you can still get Grabovski and improve the defensive core.

Well -- as long as we're in fantasy world, never would have traded for Quincey and resigned Bert!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad