Speculation: Compliance buyout:Franzen

RedWingsNow*

I believe Holland somewhat considered buying him out. Management kept the second compliance buy out through the summer in hopes Franzen steps it up this year.

It's plausible speculation on my part, lol, but it's possible Ken buys him out.

Trading him is difficult due to the length of the contract.

I don't think so. I think management wanted to buy out Sammy but didn't risk it.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Buyout. I made sure to watch him at the game last night. He puts out just as much effort sitting on the bench as he does on the ice.

RedWingsNow*

$11.66 million over twelve years if he's bought out next summer. Which is nothing in comparison to the contracts he's bought out/buried in the past for the Wings and Tigers.

Honestly -- how important is Franzen.
He's essentially a one-way player who scores 28 goals a year.
He's big -- which is important to Babcock, whether or not he does much with his size.

So if we bought out Franzen -- could we replace him easily.

Options:
1) Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco
Hopefully, spots open for these guys anyway with Cleary, Sammy and Bertuzzi.
2) Vanek
Too expensive, in all likelihood. Has some of Franzen's laziness
3) Gaborik
Too many injuries and miles on his body to be worth his likely cost. But it's worth considering, at age 31-32.
4) Heatley
Like Franzen. More skilled. But equal lazy.
5) Sedins
Move the team to Stockholm
6) Iginla
At his age?
7) Hemsky
Still just 30-31. But pretty fragile
8) Steen
Good two way player. Probably my 2nd favorite in the bunch. But smallish and injury prone.
9) Setoguichi
The rat!
10) Grabovski
If he's available, I sign this guy first.
He can probably be signed for $4 to $5M

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Honestly -- how important is Franzen.
He's essentially a one-way player who scores 28 goals a year.
He's big -- which is important to Babcock, whether or not he does much with his size.

So if we bought out Franzen -- could we replace him easily.

Options:
1) Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco
Hopefully, spots open for these guys anyway with Cleary, Sammy and Bertuzzi.
2) Vanek
Too expensive, in all likelihood. Has some of Franzen's laziness
3) Gaborik
Too many injuries and miles on his body to be worth his likely cost. But it's worth considering, at age 31-32.
4) Heatley
Like Franzen. More skilled. But equal lazy.
5) Sedins
Move the team to Stockholm
6) Iginla
At his age?
7) Hemsky
Still just 30-31. But pretty fragile
8) Steen
Good two way player. Probably my 2nd favorite in the bunch. But smallish and injury prone.
9) Setoguichi
The rat!
10) Grabovski
If he's available, I sign this guy first.
He can probably be signed for $4 to $5M

How easily we could replace him depends almost entirely on how free agency shakes out. If it's like this season, yeah. if not...cutting him loose and striking out on whoever is available on the market could push towards a forced rebuild. Assume Alfredsson retires and we buy out Franzen, and then we strike out on the market. We're looking who exactly for our top 6? Z, D, Weiss...Tatar, Nyquist, Abdelkader? Cleary? Miller?

Out of your list, I think Iginla, Gaborik, and Grabovski are the best bets. I'd add Marleau to the list.

Of course, if we buy out Franzen we could just gut the thing. Pair him with letting all of the other UFA forwards walk, and you have a lot of space to move new bodies in. at that point, maybe we go after someone like Boyle or callahan, if they are on the market. Stastny could be interesting, too.

Anyway, with Franzen I still wonder about the hip thing. You're right, he doesn't appear to be skating as well as he used to. He also had that hip flexor problem last year, and is having it come back this year. Either he didn't rehab right to get it where it needed to be, or it's just going to be a problem from now on. If this problem is going to keep coming back, I don't see how we don't buy him out regardless of the market. Unless it's nixed by ownership, of course.

RedWingsNow*

If we go this route, I really don't want to add anyone over 30

RedWingsNow*

So 32 yr old Gaborik is too old but 30 yr old Grabovski isn't?

I'd need to see what the contracts look like.

If Gabby comes in at $6.5+ for 5 years and Grabovski at 5M for 5 years then yeah, I stay with Grabovski.

I loved the idea of Gaborik for years, but the clock is ticking on his career and given the age of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, I would urge caution on signing any injury prone 32-year-olds

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd need to see what the contracts look like.

If Gabby comes in at $6.5+ for 5 years and Grabovski at 5M for 5 years then yeah, I stay with Grabovski.

I loved the idea of Gaborik for years, but the clock is ticking on his career and given the age of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, I would urge caution on signing any injury prone 32-year-olds

fair enough. I'm not sure I'd like either for 5+ years. At that point, I'd see if Iginla could be had for a year.

RedWingsNow*

In six years, a 35 year old Grabovski won't be a huge issue.
I watching Alfredsson out there ... and I just can't believe we Mike Modano'd again. So as much as I like Iginla -- no way do I want him at this stage. Not when Datsyuk is 36 next year and Hank is 34.
Not when there's a half decent shot that two of Sammy, Bert and Cleary will be back.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Mike Modano with the Wings was nowhere near the level Alfredsson is now.

Honestly, it's been four games and other than last night he has been good in my opinion.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Mike Modano with the Wings was nowhere near the level Alfredsson is now.

Honestly, it's been four games and other than last night he has been good in my opinion.

Watching the line, I pick Franzen for the goat out of the three, not Alfie. Guy plays with 0 intensity. Chugging along at half speed most of the time.

RedWingsNow*

Just for kicks
Modano's last year in Dallas
60 games 14G 16A 30 points
vs Alfredsson's last year in Ottawa
47 games 10 goals 16 assists 26 points
Statistic------Modo Afli
ESGoals/60 -- 1.04 0.64
ESPoints/60 - 1.89 1.17
PPGoals/60 --1.04 -1.36
PPPonts/60--3.62 -4.07

I'd say these guys are very comparable. the difference being that Modano was getting first unit time and Modano wasn't.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Watching the line, I pick Franzen for the goat out of the three, not Alfie. Guy plays with 0 intensity. Chugging along at half speed most of the time.

Half speed would be an improvement sometimes.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Franzen looked like i was watching a video of him shot with the IPhone 5S, with the slo mo feature on. It made me upset, but not nearly as much as it used to. #1 is the Preds series where he literally did the exact same thing. Franzen was skating and saw the puck, stopped skating and just started to glide towards the puck and the Preds recovered the puck and carried it into the Wings zone. That is when i knew he was dead to me as a Detroit Red Wing. Last night made me mad, but i have come to expect that kind of lack of effort from him, so i was able to get over it much more quickly. At this point, his selfish and uninspired play is something i expect every night.

A compliance buyout would be addition by subtraction.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Just for kicks
Modano's last year in Dallas
60 games 14G 16A 30 points
vs Alfredsson's last year in Ottawa
47 games 10 goals 16 assists 26 points
Statistic------Modo Afli
ESGoals/60 -- 1.04 0.64
ESPoints/60 - 1.89 1.17
PPGoals/60 --1.04 -1.36
PPPonts/60--3.62 -4.07

I'd say these guys are very comparable. the difference being that Modano was getting first unit time and Modano wasn't.

If you just look at a small sample of numbers and ignore overall context, sure.

But wasn't this thread supposed to be about Franzen and whether it would be a smart idea to buy him out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad