Speculation: Compliance buyout:Franzen

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we could trade him for something. That's what I hope we do.

jerrymac

Oct 24, 2011
GB
I say buyout. I had been on the fence about whether or not it was a good idea or not but he's had a pretty poor start to the season. His point totals don't show it but it seems as though he's becoming lazier each year.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
If he continues playing the way he has this year and for quite some time now...I would definitely consider it. I don't think I can handle 6 more years of this. Will a 40 year old Franzen even be able to skate?

crashman

If the team does poorly this season and he's not performing, I think it's a certainty.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
You have to consider it given the new penalties for these types of contracts.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Given the penalties for this type of contract under the new CBA, I'd rather we just use our compliance buyout and dump him than take the recapture penalty if he gets angry and retires after being traded.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
if Franzen is traded after this season

and he retires in 2017, wings get 2.1 mil penalty for 3 years.
if in 2018, 3.1 mil penalty for 2 years.
if 2019, 6.2 mil penalty for an year.

if he's NOT traded and he retires in 2017, it's 2.6 mil for 3 years.
2018 and it's 3 mil for 2 years.
and in 2019 it's 3 for an year.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I wouldnt buy him out with everything rising he will remain a good contract.

He is what he is kinda like datsyuk your like he doesnt really score that much but somehow gets his point a game franzen is gonna get us 40-50 points till is 38 imo.

His contract by that time will be AWESOME probably so is no reason just cause everyone is mad at the other issues we have no fourth line ****** third line

a second line that hasnt figured it out yet and a first line that probably has to be split up is no reason to go haywire over a guy who is gonna do his thing as always.

The issues are waste of space guys not franzen is cleary andersson sammy bertuzzi tootoo miller eaves emmerton etc.. hopefully adding the kids cause we got a bunch with size will happen.

We need to shed like 6 guys and let some of the bigger kids get their chances since babcock hates smaller guys unless are elite IE Datsyuk and he is one of a friggin kind.

This is gonna work out in next two to three years we just got to wait for it.

People like mantha are gonna get different treatment than guys like tatar.

So everyone needs to not get undies in a bunch over what is going on.

We honestly knew this scenario when cleary was signed. Everyone on this board understood it.

Franzen has looked good at times weiss is looking better at times alfredsson has looked decent at times needs to get closer to net and stop bombing his slapper all the time honestly.

This will all happen the team will come together better.

FOR the guy that said we dont like watching defensive style hockey yesterday is not about that. When you give up 38 shots to phoenix you aint playing defensive hockey you are playing like crap period.

Maybe the plane ride have seen that with our team in past whatever that they just are not up for games etc..

We shouldnt have played that badly but we did you move on try to fix things.

Problem is we have 2-3 too many bodies and need to start deleting them.

We have kids who could have played as well or better faster as big etc.. that is why everyone is upset but buying out franzen is not the solution whatsoever to the equation.

Is simply Holland needs to cut the excess and babcock needs to figure out who plays best with each other.

I think this will both happen in time and expect to see some kids new blood making the team.

I get upset over TATAR but he is small and he aint a Babcock guy and wont be so hes gone might as well figure out now that jarnkrok is same type of guy and we will probably not ever allow him to reach his potential either in detroit.

More people are gonna be pissed on Jarnkrok probably than Tatar. We need to face this though and just move on. We got others sheahan is bigger nylen-janmark is bigger mantha is gonna give us size jensen is bigger sproul is bigger I expect these types of guys to get their shots.

Ouellet is the real deal so he will get shot in time.

Have patience and REALIZE certain guys just aint gonna cut it cause they will not hit plateau of Datsyuk and zetterberg and they aint big enough for Mike Babcock or defensively sound enough for Babcock to like them or want them in his equation on what will make us a winning team.

We got plenty of good other options coming detroit is fine.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
It is time to move Franzen, and Cleary would ideally be with some other team at the moment, but it's pretty evident that someone in the Wings organization has a big man-crush on him. Mule and Cleary do not present a good return on investment; they have cheaper contracts than some comparable players, but their point production has steadily decreased, and most importantly, their presence on the 2nd and 3rd lines is impeding the opportunity to quantify the talent/production/value of Nyquist, Tatar, and other young players that could be seeing some time in the big league.

Franzen is only firing on all cylinders when he is amply motivated, and he doesn't seem to have a very competitive drive. It seems that one of the risks of signing players to contracts similar to Franzen's is that players tend to stop "playing for their next contract", and it becomes easier for them to settle into complacency.

I understand that Mule was never projected to be a game-breaker, and that's not why the Wings brass are so fond of him. The troubling thing for me is, when Holland or Babcock have to defend his lack of production and continued presence on the team, the first words out of their mouths tend to be "Mule's a big body...". That's swell and all, but we have prospects that are similarly big-bodied individuals, i.e. Andrej Nestrasil who can, at the least, float around as efficiently as Franzen and stand a greater chance of improving or demonstrating some aspect of value for trading purposes.

In short, Franzen is not worth the money he is being paid, does not use his ice time effectively, and would not be easy to move in a trade with another team; that being said, Franzen's remaining presence on the team is a liability and detracts from the development and valuation of DRW prospects.

****can him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Buy him out. He's becoming increasingly ineffective and hasn't been the playoff monster that he once was.

I'd like to see a top 6 spot open up and see one of the kids take it and run. That could only happen if Cleary isn't handed the spot for the duration of his upcoming 3 year deal, of course.

But buying out a guy who was handed a lifetime contract seems like an absurdly out of character move for Holland, so I doubt it happens. That kind of move would REALLY shake up the country club atmosphere in the locker room.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
****can him.

:laugh: I really hope the league changes the official wording from compliance buyout to compliance ****canned

I want to be watching ESPN or NBC Sports some night and see on the ticker at the bottom of the screen: "Detroit Red Wings have compliance ****canned F Johan Franzen"

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I've been touting this since the buyouts were announced. Of course I got lots of flack saying it was crazy talk. Holland does like his old, slow ineffective players though...

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
His cap hit has never bothered me...he shouldn't make $5 million a year though.

Like any long contract, there's years where he's been a bargain and years you want to buy him out. I think it's always the default mode of fans to see a guy not playing well and look at "how many years are we stuck with this hump?"

The 2nd line isn't very good...that's apparent. What I wish the Wings had as an option was plugging in Nyquist somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd line to provide a spark but oh wait...

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I've been touting this since the buyouts were announced. Of course I got lots of flack saying it was crazy talk. Holland does like his old, slow ineffective players though...

Hey buddy. I been with ya. His laziness has been apparent for at least a couple years now.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
It is time to move Franzen, and Cleary would ideally be with some other team at the moment, but it's pretty evident that someone in the Wings organization has a big man-crush on him. Mule and Cleary do not present a good return on investment; they have cheaper contracts than some comparable players, but their point production has steadily decreased, and most importantly, their presence on the 2nd and 3rd lines is impeding the opportunity to quantify the talent/production/value of Nyquist, Tatar, and other young players that could be seeing some time in the big league.

Franzen is only firing on all cylinders when he is amply motivated, and he doesn't seem to have a very competitive drive. It seems that one of the risks of signing players to contracts similar to Franzen's is that players tend to stop "playing for their next contract", and it becomes easier for them to settle into complacency.

I understand that Mule was never projected to be a game-breaker, and that's not why the Wings brass are so fond of him. The troubling thing for me is, when Holland or Babcock have to defend his lack of production and continued presence on the team, the first words out of their mouths tend to be "Mule's a big body...". That's swell and all, but we have prospects that are similarly big-bodied individuals, i.e. Andrej Nestrasil who can, at the least, float around as efficiently as Franzen and stand a greater chance of improving or demonstrating some aspect of value for trading purposes.

In short, Franzen is not worth the money he is being paid, does not use his ice time effectively, and would not be easy to move in a trade with another team; that being said, Franzen's remaining presence on the team is a liability and detracts from the development and valuation of DRW prospects.

****can him.

Mule and Cleary do not present a good return on investment; they have cheaper contracts than some comparable players, but their point production has steadily decreased,

This is a flat out FALSE STATEMENT.

2007–08 Detroit Red Wings NHL 72 27 11 38 51 16 13 5 18 14
2008–09 Detroit Red Wings NHL 71 34 25 59 44 23 12 11 23 12
2009–10 Detroit Red Wings NHL 27 10 11 21 22 12 6 12 18 16
2010–11 Detroit Red Wings NHL 76 28 27 55 58 8 2 1 3 6
2011–12 Detroit Red Wings NHL 77 29 27 56 40 5 1 0 1 8
2012–13 Detroit Red Wings NHL 41 14 17 31 41 14 4 2 6 8

Franzen's stats are same as always he had 3 great playoff runs two shown here and one year before where think had 38 points.

He is putting in his 50 something per year which will do again. For his production he has a very good salary which is flat out going to get better as cap moves up.

Do not make up blatant lies to make your points that are 100% untrue.

If he drops down to 10 goals and 30 points sure talk a buyout but that aint gonna happen he will get hott at times which he always does.

He is what he is and is worth 4 million till is 38 when cap is gonna be like 90 million lol.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I believe Holland somewhat considered buying him out. Management kept the second compliance buy out through the summer in hopes Franzen steps it up this year.

It's plausible speculation on my part, lol, but it's possible Ken buys him out.

Trading him is difficult due to the length of the contract.

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
I think we should try and trade Franzen+ to St. Louis for TJ Oshie haha I'm assuming it would have to be a pretty big plus tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad