Confirmed with Link: Complete Rebranding, New Logo & Arena Renovations - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
At this point, the players can wear what the team says they're gonna wear but that logo ain't gonna show up on me. Not even a keychain. And that's what counts. Merchandise sales. The logo on the ice, the logos on the walls, painted on the floors doesn't bring in the money. No sales and this thing dies on the vine....

I'm contemplating buying a third before they bugger it up.

That's what I posted before and hope this is what happens.

I got yelled at for saying the fans are fickle and will buy anything new. But it's true. Happened with the Devil Rays. New logo and similar situation happened where I and many others hated it. But people buy the look because it's new and the many logical fans don't count. And the fans that did hate it change their mind because hey, they're a Tampa Bay area fan.

This areas fans loyalties are akin to a gambler staying at a slot machine for as long as it wins, then once it's a loser running away from it like it's shooting out poison gas.

I hope that there are enough people that will: 1. Continue to speak out against the terrible redesign and let ownership know how they feel. 2. Not buy any merchandise with the new logo on it.

As I said, I'm doubtful, but I hope I'm wrong.

I will be wearing this:

2444934810100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I had the chance to ask an unfortunately large number of Buffaslug wearers last night how they felt about that particular logo. When it rolled out, the majority hated it. A lot of them STILL hate it. Why did they buy it? Because they wanted to support their team.

Why don't you run along to the Buffalo board and tell them about what kind of fickle bandwagoner fans they must be. I'm sure that they will appreciate you branding an entire fanbase. Probably they will thank you for showing them the light.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
...I hope that there are enough people that will: 1. Continue to speak out against the terrible redesign and let ownership know how they feel. 2. Not buy any merchandise with the new logo on it.

As I said, I'm doubtful, but I hope I'm wrong.

I will be wearing this:

2444934810100337552S425x425Q85.jpg

Pot, meet kettle.

I've also got to agree with albatross' assessment of why fans buy merchandise with a logo they don't like.

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2011/02/07/sports/1248069601987/a-tampa-bay-redesign.html?ref=hockey
:facepalm:

The word of the day is "retrofuture". Srsly. The guy describes the O6 logos, and doesn't mention 'retrofuture' in regards to any of them. Maybe that's because they weren't designed in the 50's. If I wanted tomorrowland, I'd go to the mouse house.

The sweater he holds out at the beginning is very much like the one in the Hockey Paradise video. I can't imagine it wouldn't look awkward to see the numbers directly on the players elbows. If they couldn't even figure that one out...:facepalm:

The leap people have to make in regards to the NHL's founding era is one that bores a lot of people, but if you're going to do it right, you have to get bored. Post WW2 was the golden era for the NHL. The original 6. However, the league was around for ~30 years before then, and some clubs even longer. It's that understudied era when the basis for those logos were created, all before WW2. The 'retrofuture' thing didn't get popular until later.

It also infamously didn't pan out.

SFY/Vinik must have seen this:

That's why you don't pay the million up front. I didn't spend anything, but somehow I want my money back.

Unless we wanted to be the Original 7th team, like we snuck in around 1951, then...mission accomplished?

Last edited:

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
The grass is always greener on the other side, right? I don't like any of those other options in that NY Times video at all. The Zeus stuff is cool but that's no primary logo material. It's the kind of stuff you get tired of after a while. It's too much, too cartoonish, too immature.

I like simple and minimalistic logos and jerseys, therefore I like the new color scheme, the new striping, the new patch logo. I'm still not sold on the oval circle in the primary logo* as well as the "Tampa Bay" on the away jerseys, and maybe adding the victory stripes wouldn't have hurt but yeah, I'm totally okay with the new look. Tastes differ.

Vinik, Leiweke, Yzerman & Co have done a tremendous job so far in every possible aspect. Let's give it a little time. After all, we haven't even seen them in game action yet.

*Edit: This would be my suggestion for the primary logo: Just the inner circle of the patch logo. It has a much higher value of brand recognition. It reminds of our old logos and combines both classic and modern aspects.

Behold! Mad Paint skills:

suggvev3.jpg

I've been pretty vocal about my dislike of the current branding/uniform mess. However, that secondary logo (minus the text) is fantastic. The funny thing is that it seems a LOT of people are latching onto this logo instead of the primary. I wonder how much trouble it would really be to flip flop the two before the start of next season? If that logo ended up on the front of the jersey as a primary I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The other one, not so much.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
See I hate plain and bland. And that is what the new scheme is. The other logos are much more in depth, which when being a pro sports team, should know it would be a better look. No one will get bored with a great logo.

The Blackhawks have a pretty in depth logo that hasn't gone through much change. Ours could be drawn by an 8 year old.

Plain and bland is not what this team has been about, as we are not one of the original teams Stevie Y thinks we are. This crappy logo and bland redesign shows laziness and lack of creativity.

The new logo is something a high school team would have, on a low budget. With all the cool logos and schemes out there, and talented and well paid people, you think we could have had something better.

It's a shame.

Everything you have said here goes against you being a Yankee fan whom Im sure has plenty of Yankee gear no? That logo is even more bland.

And for the record. The Rays transformation was much needed and their new stuff is way better.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
What is a "retro-futuristic look"? Is that like the "PT Cruisers of the NHL"?

They want it to be bold and classic, but when you think of lightning you don't think of a static object. Lightning is dynamic. So I think he means that they want to have both traditional qualities but also have some flare. The lightning bolt is simple and clean, and the circle is a little stylish.

That's my guess

Last edited:

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Shark fan here, I'm a little sad Tampa is rebranding because the Lightning is my favorite Eastern Conference team and I really like the current logo.

I think the new logo is alright, I like the fact that the home jerseys are now blue and they dropped the forward facing numbers, but I think its a downgrade when they drop the silver from the Lightning color scheme. To me that is what made the Lightning unique, now they are the Tampa Bay Maple Leafs.

My Sharks did this to me over 3 years ago when they league switched to the Rbk Edge jerseys. The Sharks dropped gray as a secondary color and added orange instead and I still can't stand it to this day. The Sharks used to be unique too and now they're the San Jose Dolphins.

I have refused to buy a new Sharks home or away jersey and I only own 1 Edge jersey and that's the Black alternate which doesn't have any orange on it, so I feel the pain of those who don't like the new logo because it becomes annoying when everybody else is wearing the new product and you know it won't go away anytime soon.

BTW, how do you guys feel about the microchip in the sleeve in the free jerseys? I think that's big brother to the extreme, I mean what if you want to wear a different jersey to a game? Do that mean you have to carry it with you to every game to get the discounts?

sonny side up

Dec 30, 2006
the dark room
www.flickr.com
http://www.icethetics.info/

Look at all those other options, most FAR superior to what they chose.

I love the Zeus ones and the ones with several Lightning bolts.

Fail Vinik and Y, fail.

Agree with the Zeus, disagree with that the rest are better. Zeus wouldn't have worked because its too detailed. How many logos do you know that have that much detail? Also, I don't think it would work as a NHL logo and as a main logo. Maybe a 2nd logo, but not a main.

I still think the Lightning get sued though. Has anyone seen the Electric Sunglasses logo?
ELECTRIC_EVENT_LOGO2.jpg

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Agree with the Zeus, disagree with that the rest are better. Zeus wouldn't have worked because its too detailed. How many logos do you know that have that much detail? Also, I don't think it would work as a NHL logo and as a main logo. Maybe a 2nd logo, but not a main.

I still think the Lightning get sued though. Has anyone seen the Electric Sunglasses logo?
ELECTRIC_EVENT_LOGO2.jpg

:laugh::laugh: I wonder what would happen if that becomes the case.

I really really like the flash looking one 2nd from the bottom on those rejected designs. Blah.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
BTW, how do you guys feel about the microchip in the sleeve in the free jerseys? I think that's big brother to the extreme, I mean what if you want to wear a different jersey to a game? Do that mean you have to carry it with you to every game to get the discounts?

I was kind of weirded out by it TBH. I'll still use it, 20% off beer will let me have more beer, but yeah creepy. It does mean I'm going to have to upgrade from half season to full season tickets, no big deal since I was probably going to do that anyway.

Tokala

Aug 9, 2005

I'm all for saving money on beer! I rarely buy food at the Forum. I can be tracked by the GPS in my phone. I don't think the team will purchase the technology to track me outside of the building.

They stated that they are working to develop partnerships with outside businesses that will honor the chip. If I can save some $$$ at Kane's or one of their sponsors by wearing my jersey, what the heck!

CommunistDayKare

I'M SORRY RUM HAM
Mar 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
This showed up in UniWatch today. Anyone know when this happened?

Very interesting NHL news from Cork Gaines, who writes: “One of the Lightning radio broadcasters was on a local station in Tampa talking and mentioned that what they unveiled last week may not be exactly what they wear on the ice next season. He mentioned possibly adding a lightning bolt to the shorts and some other unspecified tweaks. This makes me think we got a mid-season unveiling just so the team could gauge reaction and make adjustments — a concept I’m surprised we don’t see more often.†…

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
This showed up in UniWatch today. Anyone know when this happened?

Very interesting NHL news from Cork Gaines, who writes: “One of the Lightning radio broadcasters was on a local station in Tampa talking and mentioned that what they unveiled last week may not be exactly what they wear on the ice next season. He mentioned possibly adding a lightning bolt to the shorts and some other unspecified tweaks. This makes me think we got a mid-season unveiling just so the team could gauge reaction and make adjustments — a concept I’m surprised we don’t see more often.” …

If that is true then well played SFY:clap:. This would be a great way to be sure they get it right for the team and fans. It is odd since no one has done this before but does make sense to get fan opinion especially with boltfan2029 having a meeting with them and all. But that could just blowing smoke too. How reliable is this guy?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If that is true then well played SFY:clap:. This would be a great way to be sure they get it right for the team and fans. It is odd since no one has done this before but does make sense to get fan opinion especially with boltfan2029 having a meeting with them and all. But that could just blowing smoke too. How reliable is this guy?

All In?

Bluff.

Their tell was that none of the language used during the press conference suggested that it was anything but a 'final' design. If they were looking for feedback on what they had so far, then they probably would have mentioned it at some point. You don't mass manufacture all the materials they did if you feel the logo's design wasn't all but certain, much less repaint the ice.

You also don't give away the first sweater to a season ticket holder if you're not pretty much set on the design.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Cork Gaines of RaysIndex?

So if its one of the radio guys that would be Mishkin or Phil.

On one hand the way they have handled complaints and listened to people, this would not surprise me in the slightest. If they didn't give a **** and just rolled with it, they wouldn't be inviting fans in for interviews.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
All In?

Bluff.

Their tell was that none of the language used during the press conference suggested that it was anything but a 'final' design. If they were looking for feedback on what they had so far, then they probably would have mentioned it at some point. You also don't mass manufacture all the materials they did if you feel the logo's design wasn't all but certain, much less repaint the ice.

You also don't give away the first sweater to a season ticket holder if you're not pretty much set on the design.

Not true. Especially since the logo can stay exactly the same (which really would be fine) and they could easily add victory stripes, bolts on the pants and even black into the jersey itself if they wanted. None of which has been sold for anything to anyone.

Very easily could what was quoted happen to be honest.

And if thats the case than kudos for them doing it this way and thinking outside of the box. Honestly, coming out as "final design" Im sure got way more honest reactions than if they had come out and say this is a proto we want to know what you all think.

I hate getting my hopes up but....yeah...lol

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Not true. Especially since the logo can stay exactly the same (which really would be fine) and they could easily add victory stripes, bolts on the pants and even black into the jersey itself if they wanted. None of which has been sold for anything to anyone.

Very easily could what was quoted happen to be honest.

And if thats the case than kudos for them doing it this way and thinking outside of the box. Honestly, coming out as "final design" Im sure got way more honest reactions than if they had come out and say this is a proto we want to know what you all think.

I hate getting my hopes up but....yeah...lol

Was going to say this. The logos could easily stay and bolts and stripes added. Done. I still miss silver and black but I see color additions being a bigger stretch than just adding the bolts and stripes.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm not believing it based on the narrative I've watched unfold.

I'm not saying that they didn't later change their mind on their design, but it seems like a retcon.

Rewatch this and tell me that they had tweaks in mind from the beginning:
http://video.lightning.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=791&id=95438

Adding bolts to the pants, or victory stripes flies directly in the face of 'traditional striping and patterns'. Much less the comparisons in design to uniforms that have stood the test of time.

The test of time, in our case, being less than 2 weeks and 0 games.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't mess with the design, or add those specific things, but I smell a retcon going on here.

Victory stripes with only one other color than that of the sweater seems silly though.

Last edited:

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Changes have to be submitted far, far in advance. I'm not sure if the NHL would allow minor tweaks but this really isn't a case of, "we'll put this out there and tweak it based on how the fan base reacts."

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think if we were in the cellar again this season, there wouldn't be the resistance.

The logo would still be severely lacking either way though.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I had the chance to ask an unfortunately large number of Buffaslug wearers last night how they felt about that particular logo. When it rolled out, the majority hated it. A lot of them STILL hate it. Why did they buy it? Because they wanted to support their team.

Why don't you run along to the Buffalo board and tell them about what kind of fickle bandwagoner fans they must be. I'm sure that they will appreciate you branding an entire fanbase. Probably they will thank you for showing them the light.

You don't have to buy new merchandise to support the team.

If I hate the logo, which I do, why the hell would I wear it? I'm a season ticket holder, I'm pretty sure that means I support the team a little bit more than someone wearing a new logo hat.

And I'm not going to stir the pot with Buffalo fans, but they had a whole site against the slug. I'm pretty sure alot of fans that hated it didn't just roll over and accept it.

I wasn't talking about Tampa Bay area fans being fickle merely because of their purchasing habits. Their purchasing habits just reinforce the fickle fan base in this area.

How many home Bucs games were on TV this year?

When did the Bolts attendance start to rise?

You're way off base, nice try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad