Comedians you do NOT think are funny...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It's not just him though, it's virtually every newly appointed talk-show host. James Corden and Seth Meyers may be even worse than Fallon is.

Yeah I cant comment because I honestly never watched either show aside from YouTube clips of Seith Meyers during his political segment, which I enjoy, because as I have said I guess I am one of the people in this thread that thoroughly enjoys politics related comedy.

I pretty much grew up on Conan for late night though, didn't really watch Leno or Letterman, the mid 90s and beyond was all Conan for me.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yeah I cant comment because I honestly never watched either show aside from YouTube clips of Seith Meyers during his political segment, which I enjoy, because as I have said I guess I am one of the people in this thread that thoroughly enjoys politics related comedy.
Actually, I like A Closer Look as well - altho, after a while I lost interest because it was the same old, same old.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I have NEVER found R.G. funny. I thought I was alone.
He was a morning show DJ on the radio and the BBC was so talent starved they tapped into his e list celebrity status for the office. Turns out a DJ was great at playing a creep and then Hollywood thought he could do something else. All wrong! Should have stayed a morning zoo top 40 UK.radio guy

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It really comes down to what tickles you. My go to's are..

Ron White
Bill Burr
George Carlin
Steven Wright
Norm MacDonald
Monty Python as a whole
Dave Chappelle
Eddie Murphy(his old stuff)

I'm not sure what they all have in common that works for me, though I guess there's a lot of observational humor in that bunch.

But yeah, I can't get into comedians like..

Amy Schumer
Louis CK
Any of the late night guys, though really it's their writers.
John Oliver

And I'm sure many many more I've never heard of or laughed at.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Monty Python as a whole
Monty Python is a weird one to me. They've produced a number of my favorite comedic sketches and even movies (Life of Brian and Holy Grail), but they just have SO much material and I'd say the majority of it is just absolute trash. Like weird and crazy sketches that don't land comedically whatsoever. At the end of the day though I still really like them because they have an extensive amount of material I find hilarious.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Monty Python is a weird one to me. They've produced a number of my favorite comedic sketches and even movies (Life of Brian and Holy Grail), but they just have SO much material and I'd say the majority of it is just absolute trash. Like weird and crazy sketches that don't land comedically whatsoever. At the end of the day though I still really like them because they have an extensive amount of material I find hilarious.
They do have a lot of material and I don't care for all of it, but I do like enough of it for them to be a go to for me. haha When they get too British, they lose me.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He was a morning show DJ on the radio and the BBC was so talent starved they tapped into his e list celebrity status for the office. Turns out a DJ was great at playing a creep and then Hollywood thought he could do something else. All wrong! Should have stayed a morning zoo top 40 UK.radio guy
A female friend thinks he is a god. She calls him "the funniest man alive". I never understood it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
They do have a lot of material and I don't care for all of it, but I do like enough of it for them to be a go to for me. haha When they get too British, they lose me.
Yeah, I think I feel the same way. I gave Fawlty Towers a shot and just could not get into it whatsoever.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Ricky Gervais created one of the more iconic sitcoms since Seinfeld. You can argue his merits as a standup....but lets not get ridiculous.
I personally think he's pretty obnoxious in interviews and as a person, it translates to a great tv character though. I enjoy his standup to the point where I have watched a whole special, but that's about as far as I'll go. His award show hosting is legendary though, the balls of that guy lol

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I haven't been into standup for many years now, so when it comes to popular media I honestly can't think of a single comedian that I think is hilarious at the current moment. Sure, there are some guys that I thought were great 10-20 years ago, but comedy in general is in the crapper right now IMO.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I can understand finding him grating as a personality (he basically asks for it), and while I agree with most of his beliefs/opinions, it often feels like he's just regurgitating ideas that better thinkers/comedians have come up with. However, I'll always love Ricky Gervais for co-creating The Office (one of the best shows of all time and in a completely different stratosphere as the US one, IMO) and discovering/introducing Karl Pilkington to the world (I've probably gotten more belly laughs from him than just about anyone).

His actual standup isn't anything noteworthy, though.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I can understand finding him grating as a personality (he basically asks for it), and while I agree with most of his beliefs/opinions, it often feels like he's just regurgitating ideas that better thinkers/comedians have come up with. However, I'll always love Ricky Gervais for co-creating The Office (one of the best shows of all time and in a completely different stratosphere as the US one, IMO) and discovering/introducing Karl Pilkington to the world (I've probably gotten more belly laughs from him than just about anyone).

His actual standup isn't anything noteworthy, though.

" And I wouldn't even have a special costume. Just dressed like this! " - Bullshit-man

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I mean, you shouldn't be able to get universal agreement on who's good or bad, and you can't expect a group of people to behave like one hive-mind.

Personally, I love guys like George Carlin, Norm MacDonald, Doug Stanhope, Larry David, Patrice O'Neale, Mitch Hedberg, Dave Chappelle (although I his work doesn't quite measure up to his reputation for me), 2006-2011 Louis CK, Steven Wright, Todd Barry, and (if they count) non stand-up guys like David Letterman, David Mitchell, Karl Pilkington, and all the members of Monty Python. There's tons of great comedy out there beyond what's mentioned in this thread.

Todd Barry is a very good pick. I hate twitter, but his own where he just bashes other comedians is perfect. Have you ever seen his bit as an 18 year-old where he calls Letterman? Also, he's the most beautiful thing about Louie. The way he consistently (but endearingly) makes fun of him at every opportunity. The episode where he walks the entire bar through a regular day of his was perfect.

" Boom. I get the ride. "

Crow

May 19, 2014
Chris Rock
Kat Williams
Robin Williams
Tracy Morgan
Joe Rogan
Jimmy Fallon
Jay Leno
All of the blue collar comedy guys

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Chris Rock
Kat Williams
Robin Williams
Tracy Morgan
Joe Rogan
Jimmy Fallon
Jay Leno
All of the blue collar comedy guys

Kat Williams is fantastic. Hopelessly ignorant in thought, but his charm, persona, and balls are so infectious. It's really too bad drugs took a toll on his creativity, although he was perfect in Atlanta.

Reactions: Roman Fell

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Amy Schumer was funny years ago, but once she got popular, she crashed and burned. I once saw her the night before she was on SNL. She practiced her opening monologue on us and was getting booed for about 45 minutes.

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
I haven't been into standup for many years now, so when it comes to popular media I honestly can't think of a single comedian that I think is hilarious at the current moment. Sure, there are some guys that I thought were great 10-20 years ago, but comedy in general is in the crapper right now IMO.
listen to more comedy podcasts there are plenty of them

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Amy Schumer was funny years ago, but once she got popular, she crashed and burned. I once saw her the night before she was on SNL. She practiced her opening monologue on us and was getting booed for about 45 minutes.
The early seasons of her show was funny but it's easy to be funny when you have a team of writers.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad