Comedians you do NOT think are funny...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Joe Rogan - love JRE, like him as a UFC commentator, but I was genuinely stunned when one of his guest on JRE said he was on the Mount Rushmore of stand up comedians.
Jerry Seinfeld - Love the show, but I don't find any of his stand up funny or Comedians in Cars.
Robin Williams - Liked him as a serious actor, but he's waaaaay too over the top for me. Jim Carrey falls in that for me, too.
Lewis Black - Way too much of the angry shtick. I love Bill Burr, but Burr's anger seems genuine. Black is playing a character which rubs me the wrong way.
Amy Schumer - Nothing redeeming to say about her. Never found anything she said funny and then to find out a lot of it was stolen to begin with.
Bill Maher - Politically Incorrect was a great show, but his standup sucks and he's turned into a Democratic lackey for his new show. I'm not against Democrats or anything, but he used to be more neutral. Now when a Democratic does something terrible, it's always "Yeah, but what about the Republicans."

In defense of some of the people I've seen mentioned:

George Carlin - Surprised to see so many people mention him. Must be because people talk about him as the potential GOAT? Anyway, he released too much stuff. Whether it was ready or not or just not funny, there is a lot of unfunny stuff. But at his best, he's one of the best ever.
Sarah Silvermann - She was hilarious live. I don't know that she has a good act, but I think she's funny for sure. This is probably true for a bunch of people. Especially when comedians say how great they are. They are most likely talking about in the clubs.
Katt Williams - Pimp Chronicles Part 1 (his first special) was hilarious. Everything since has been half baked ideas that he tries to sell with his personality (which admittedly could rub people the wrong way to begin with).

MDarn17

Jan 15, 2019
I have a few
Chris D'Elia
Kevin Hart (he is a great interview, just don't care for his standup)
Joe Rogan is a popular one, but I do enjoy JRE

I'm sure there are a few others but nothing comes to mind

Sep 19, 2008
It really comes down to what tickles you. My go to's are..

Ron White
Bill Burr
George Carlin
Steven Wright
Norm MacDonald
Monty Python as a whole
Dave Chappelle
Eddie Murphy(his old stuff)

I'm not sure what they all have in common that works for me, though I guess there's a lot of observational humor in that bunch.

But yeah, I can't get into comedians like..

Amy Schumer
Louis CK
Any of the late night guys, though really it's their writers.
John Oliver

And I'm sure many many more I've never heard of or laughed at.

Odd that you like Burr and Carlin but not CK. Burr and CK are all part of t hat NY crew that came up together.

Sep 19, 2008
Joe Rogan - love JRE, like him as a UFC commentator, but I was genuinely stunned when one of his guest on JRE said he was on the Mount Rushmore of stand up comedians.
Jerry Seinfeld - Love the show, but I don't find any of his stand up funny or Comedians in Cars.
Robin Williams - Liked him as a serious actor, but he's waaaaay too over the top for me. Jim Carrey falls in that for me, too.
Lewis Black - Way too much of the angry shtick. I love Bill Burr, but Burr's anger seems genuine. Black is playing a character which rubs me the wrong way.
Amy Schumer - Nothing redeeming to say about her. Never found anything she said funny and then to find out a lot of it was stolen to begin with.
Bill Maher - Politically Incorrect was a great show, but his standup sucks and he's turned into a Democratic lackey for his new show. I'm not against Democrats or anything, but he used to be more neutral. Now when a Democratic does something terrible, it's always "Yeah, but what about the Republicans."

In defense of some of the people I've seen mentioned:

George Carlin - Surprised to see so many people mention him. Must be because people talk about him as the potential GOAT? Anyway, he released too much stuff. Whether it was ready or not or just not funny, there is a lot of unfunny stuff. But at his best, he's one of the best ever.
Sarah Silvermann - She was hilarious live. I don't know that she has a good act, but I think she's funny for sure. This is probably true for a bunch of people. Especially when comedians say how great they are. They are most likely talking about in the clubs.
Katt Williams - Pimp Chronicles Part 1 (his first special) was hilarious. Everything since has been half baked ideas that he tries to sell with his personality (which admittedly could rub people the wrong way to begin with).

I dare anyone to watch American Hustle and say it is not hilarious. Even the opening is one of the best in comedic history.

"Sir, I told you, don't play that again!"

everyday i'm hustlin

Even if you omit that part the part about Shaq being a cop as well as the Crocodile hunter is hilarious. "He got killed by a punk stingray."

Sep 19, 2008
Also not to single anyone out but this CK conversation reminds me of the "outrage" on social media after people found out they could not record Louis CK in Minneapolis because he uses those pouches that lock your phone in. "But how are we supposed to call him out on his bad jokes!!!!"

First of all Chappelle as well as Michael Che and pretty much any big name comic (including Aziz) uses the pouches so their material isn't posted online without their consent. So what CK is doing is nothing new. But the outrage over CK ever since he admitted to :naughty: has been way over the top. In this era women are more "woke" and more willing to further pile on him for perceived transgressions. When he made references to Parkland in local NYC clubs, it was recorded and aired online and there was mass outrage, even though comics often test material and based on the reception of jokes, may choose to remove those kind of jokes from their act.

CK is certainly pretty edgy and I've seen him live once...he just came on stage and started making statements about abortion and other topics. The problem is people are trying to record him and further pile on outrage over his actions, when we all should be moving on from what he did. He made a mistake, and it's time to move on. He doesn't need to be continually harassed like this.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Odd that you like Burr and Carlin but not CK. Burr and CK are all part of t hat NY crew that came up together.
I love Louie (the show and his stand up), but I could definitely see people getting turned off with all of the sex and masturbation stuff. Something Carlin and Burr don't do a whole lot of.

I dare anyone to watch American Hustle and say it is not hilarious. Even the opening is one of the best in comedic history.

"Sir, I told you, don't play that again!"

everyday i'm hustlin

Even if you omit that part the part about Shaq being a cop as well as the Crocodile hunter is hilarious. "He got killed by a punk stingray."
Those examples are kind of my point. Dancing around because the DJ keeps playing music isn't really a joke. Any laughs he gets with that is because he sold it with his personality. The Crocodile Hunter...meh. Everyone who knew how he died saw the irony in that. I don't remember the Shaq bit.

It's just not for me, I guess. I love Pimp Chronicles, though.

Edit: There was also that clip of him roasting some radio host lady that went viral. It was hilarious. I think he's naturally funny, but like I said, I think his specials can be under cooked or something.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah Nate Bargatze is pretty damn amazing. He isn't for everyone, but his dry sense of humour and puzzling facial expressions are top notch.

I don't like when comedians get political. Stick to making me laugh.
Political jokes are actually quite funny, but the problem is that 99% of them are liberals which just turns into an echo-chamber and ultimately just ruins any laughter potential. That's why lads like Trevor Noah and Jamie Olivier pretty much suck because the same jokes have been said a million times over by not only them, but Jimmy Kimmel and others. And I don't know if there are any Conservative comedians out there, but they either get bashed by the Hollywood entertainment media for not believing what they should believe, but they go down the redneck path of comedy which is not only brutally terrible, but also a waste of time.

E: Dane Cook is a good one for this thread, he's absolutely terrible. One of his specials, 99% of all sex jokes was more disgusting than funny if you compare it to Chappelle and his sex jokes.

For me good comedians are ones you want to waste your time on.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Yeah Nate Bargatze is pretty damn amazing. He isn't for everyone, but his dry sense of humour and puzzling facial expressions are top notch.

Political jokes are actually quite funny, but the problem is that 99% of them are liberals which just turns into an echo-chamber and ultimately just ruins any laughter potential. That's why lads like Trevor Noah and Jamie Olivier pretty much suck because the same jokes have been said a million times over by not only them, but Jimmy Kimmel and others. And I don't know if there are any Conservative comedians out there, but they either get bashed by the Hollywood entertainment media for not believing what they should believe, but they go down the redneck path of comedy which is not only brutally terrible, but also a waste of time.

E: Dane Cook is a good one for this thread, he's absolutely terrible. One of his specials, 99% of all sex jokes was more disgusting than funny if you compare it to Chappelle and his sex jokes.

For me good comedians are ones you want to waste your time on.

I'm not a conservative, but Dennis Miller is an example of a conservative comedian who does not rely on redneck comedy.

I have seen a few people post about Amy Shumer stealing bits from others. I'm not familiar with this. Who has she stolen from?

Reactions: frisco and S E P H

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Tim Allen actually has pretty enjoyable standup as a conservative....albeit his material isn't overly political.
...but I mean he's not that great or anything

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Eddie Izzard
Joe Rogaine
Post 2016 Kevin Hart
Jeff Ross (only good at roasting)
Post dirty work Artie Lange

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Both Burr and CK started in Boston

Burr, Rogan, Patrice, Fitzsimmons all came up together

Rogan was a little ahead of them. He was already in NY before Patrice and Burr were even on the map in Boston and then left for LA when they got to NY.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Tops for Me
Chapelle
Burr
Carlin

Bottoms
Katt Williams
Amy Schumer
Those red neck dudes

I think Louis C.K. was one of the best, until he became a caricature of himself.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Most Comedians after they become famous and do a family friendly comedy movie and have little or no original material left in their act.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Most Comedians after they become famous and do a family friendly comedy movie and have little or no original material left in their act.

The more success you have as a standup and the more famous you become, the harder it is to be relocatable to an audience as there life moves further and further away from normal.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Lena Dunham was back on TV last night. Ugggg!!!

She's a "comedian" I can do with never seeing again. I turned her off FAST!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bdub24

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Based on my limited exposure to Richard Pryor, I never found him particularly funny

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've never heard of or seen Mitch Hedberg or Norm MacDonald outside of this message board. I'm quite glad of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad