GDT: Columbus up: More McPoints please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You know he will.

With a one timer on the PP probably.

He's averaging 16 seconds a game on the pp. That's one second less than Matt Calvert. Not every coach has the insight to recognize Letestu's extraordinary pp skills.

In all seriousness, he caught lightning in a bottle last year on the pp but in order to get him those chances the Oilers pp became so static that it was trivial to defend. I like the guy as a player in that he gives an honest effort and he seems like an excellent team mate. But his play this year, both on the pp and otherwise fell off the cliff and it seemed that the coaches simply refused to acknowledge this until the damage was done.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
Lines going forward ...

Nuge - McDavid - RW1
Aberg?/LW2 - Draisaitl - JP?
Lucic - Strome - RW3
Cagguila - Khaira - Kassian?
Extra: Slesphev, Pakarinen

RW1 options - Rattie, Yamamoto, FA signing
LW2 options - Aberg or FA signgings
RW3 options - Yamamoto, Slepshev, Aberg, JP or FA signings

I think the forward group needs at least 2 forward signings or trades that have the ability to play in top 6 and probably 1 forward who can play in the top 9. I think it would be a mistake to assume that Rattie or Yamamoto will fill this role. Bring in 2 players and if Rattie or Yamamoto beat them out, thats fine. I dont really see how this team can bring anyone significant in unless they can rid of Lucic's contract (good luck) or trade RNH (which they shouldnt unless its an overpay). They will have to find some cheap players who they project to have a good season.

Defense:
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - RD2
Sekera - Russell/Benning
Extra: Auvitu, Bear?

Defense ... I dunno here. Too many defense on this team make 4+ million. In a perfect world they should be trying their best to get Carlson (good luck), or Green (on a reasonable contract as hes 32). Beyond these two guys, I am not sure theres much out there. If they could get one of these guys, they would probably want to move one of Russell or Sekera (but they have nmc i believe). If Klefbom or Sekera dont improve, they are in some serious trouble. The defense is so up in the air on this team. They were pretty good last year. Bad this year. Making a panic move could be a mistake. I do think they need to bring in some more offense though. I think once again it would be a mistake to pencil Bear in for next year. Bring in some players and if he beats them out, then fine. I think Auvitu is good for a #7 but if McLellan is here next year, theres probably no point bringing him back because he doesnt like to play him.

I personally dont think that Karlsson, or OEL are practical options. The cost will be too great. Sure they have the assets in theory but the problem with this team is depth, lack of skill on the wings and lack of offense from the defense. Trading for these players just guts a team with poor depth to bad depth. No point addressing for a hole if it makes more holes.

Goaltending:
Talbot
Montoya/Backup

I think this year has shown that Talbot needs help. I dont think Montoya is a good enough backup. I still believe in Talbot, but management has to address goaltending imo, in case it struggles again. Theres no one in the system coming up (at least for next year). Goaltending is such a crap shoot. Goalies can look awesome one year and terrible the next year. Out of the goaltenders out there, I am not sure who the best bet is for a backup.

At the end of the day this team needs much better depth. They need to address the team in all 3 areas - Offense, Defense, and Goaltending. Furthermore this team doesnt have much if any internal depth to cover these holes. As mentioned I think its a mistake to pencil in players like Yamamoto, Rattie, Bear etc into the line up. If they make it on merit, its one thing, but they shouldnt make it because the team has no one else to use.

I think the team is better than what it is shown this year. But this team needs to bring players imo because help isnt coming from the AHL. Chiarelli counted on internal depth this year and it failed. I dont think they need to bring in all-starts, but the depth has to be improved. They have to create competition for these spots. Its not an easy fix. Lucic/Sekera/Russell contracts make it tough to build around with the existing McDavid/Draisaitl and RNH contracts. You dont want to make the team worse by panic trades like we have seen in the past.

Thanks for the run down :)

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
And in that 16 seconds he's going to score on us.

With a one timer.

I'm going to be shocked if this somehow doesn't happen tbh. It'd just be too perfect, like both Eberle and Barzal scoring on us in their first game against us.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Letestu has 1 goal in 14 games since being traded. Anyone else thinks he will break his slump?

....and he scored that lone goal in his first game after the trade.

Of course he will pop a hat trick tonight :)

I like the Columbus org and their fans - just wish a few of their guys didnʻt try goon it up last time when the game was clearly over. Sure you play hard but the dirty stuff was uncalled for.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
....and he scored that lone goal in his first game after the trade.

Of course he will pop a hat trick tonight :)

I like the Columbus org and their fans - just wish a few of their guys didnʻt try goon it up last time when the game was clearly over. Sure you play hard but the dirty stuff was uncalled for.

I bet Dubinsky doesn't take any runs at our players like last game after Kass broke his face. Foligno is out too. Those two are the head of the snake in CBJ so I expect a fairly quiet game from a physical standpoint tonight.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I bet Dubinsky doesn't take any runs at our players like last game after Kass broke his face. Foligno is out too. Those two are the head of the snake in CBJ so I expect a fairly quiet game from a physical standpoint tonight.

I'm curious. Dubinsky seems like one of those punk players that just can't help himself. I could see him either do nothing, or get himself in trouble and hurt yet again.

Reactions: VainGretzky

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
May as well make it the GDT since the game is only 25 minutes away...

Unless someone is frantically photoshopping up a beauty...:cool:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Basically at the end of a game that had long been over the Blue Jackets continued to run around. Foligno and others had taken some garbage runs at Draisaitl and McDavid when the game was 5-0 for the Oil.

So Kass challenged Foligno and Dubinsky at the end of the game, Dubinsky clearly drops his gloves first, Kassian lays it on him and breaks his orbital bone, which kept him out until very recently.

I doubt Dubinsky will do anything, he would risk permanent damage fighting after coming back from and injury like that.

Didn't realize Kass broke Dubinsky's orbital bone. Love the Kassassin.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Basically at the end of a game that had long been over the Blue Jackets continued to run around. Foligno and others had taken some garbage runs at Draisaitl and McDavid when the game was 5-0 for the Oil.

So Kass challenged Foligno and Dubinsky at the end of the game, Dubinsky clearly drops his gloves first, Kassian lays it on him and breaks his orbital bone, which kept him out until very recently.

I doubt Dubinsky will do anything, he would risk permanent damage fighting after coming back from and injury like that.

Loved that from Kassian

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Is anyone else’s sportsnet west channel without sound? Everything but that channel works.. what the hell!!

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Todds already asking Woodcroft where they should go for snacks after the game.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
IjDlIZO.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad