Confirmed with Link: Columbus trades Kerby Rychel for Scott Harrington and a conditional pick.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Unfortunately not all draft picks work out.
He could easily blossom in a different system, but the drama and especially the trade request got him a ticket out of town.
I do wish the return was higher (I was surprised best we could get was a NHL 3rd pairing d-man, I would have rather taken on one of their young guys who wasn't working out), but it was apparent for whatever reason he wasn't happy here.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Unfortunately not all draft picks work out.
He could easily blossom in a different system, but the drama and especially the trade request got him a ticket out of town.
I do wish the return was higher (I was surprised best we could get was a NHL 3rd pairing d-man, I would have rather taken on one of their young guys who wasn't working out), but it was apparent for whatever reason he wasn't happy here.

If you get 2 NHL players out of a draft you are doing well.

Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Heatherington, Bjorkstrand, Moutrey, Soberg, and Quennville.

That's trending to 4-5 NHL players and 2 impact players. You can't do much better than that.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Heatherington, Bjorkstrand, Moutrey, Soberg, and Quennville.

That's trending to 4-5 NHL players and 2 impact players. You can't do much better than that.

Exactly. It really is a great draft.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016

Exactly. It really is a great draft.

I wouldn't call it great, when you have 3 first rounds and only get one NHL player of them!
You could say that, with the trade of Dano you got 2 NHL'ers of the 3 first rounder, but is look at the player we drafted. Well it was not great. Fine but not great.

What is making this draft fine, is that good scouting and the extreme luck, 29 other scouting letting Bjorkstand slip to us in 3'Th.
Bjorkstrand and Vitali Abramov are just the kind of players that are difficult to predict the development of.
But still it is the draft of Bjorkstand in 3'Th, that is making up for the failures (so far) of Dano
and Rychel in first round.

However if you look at Bjorkstands history before draft, he did had some success playing against men as 16 years old and very undersized. Yes they were not elite men, but still he was not manhandled out, which most 16 years old are, even in the Danish league.
You have no history of Vitali Abramov playing any senior hockey at all, so he is much more an open question, but he has talent as well and have a good chance to become another draft steal.

So in away, drafting Bjorkstand can also be seen as a failure for your scouting team. A lucky failure for you and a major failure for 29 other teams :laugh:.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I wouldn't call it great, when you have 3 first rounds and only get one NHL player of them!
You could say that, with the trade of Dano you got 2 NHL'ers of the 3 first rounder, but is look at the player we drafted. Well it was not great. Fine but not great.

What is making this draft fine, is that good scouting and the extreme luck, 29 other scouting letting Bjorkstand slip to us in 3'Th.
Bjorkstrand and Vitali Abramov are just the kind of players that are difficult to predict the development of.
But still it is the draft of Bjorkstand in 3'Th, that is making up for the failures (so far) of Dano

However if you look at Bjorkstands history before draft, he did had some success playing against men as 16 years old and very undersized. Yes they were not elite men, but still he was not manhandled out, which most 16 years old are, even in the Danish league.
You have no history of Vitali Abramov playing any senior hockey at all, so he is much more an open question, but he has talent as well and have a good chance to become another draft steal.

So in away, drafting Bjorkstand can also be seen as a failure for your scouting team. A lucky failure for you and a major failure for 29 other teams :laugh:.

Rychel and Dano will both be NHL players. Whether they are more than middle 6 wings remains to be seen.

3 NHL players with three mid to late 1st round picks, whether you want to believe it or not, beats all odds.

Just look up the 14th, 19th and 27th of past drafts. I'd bet less than 10% of drafts have three NHL players in those spots.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

The jury is still out on Dano, he was probably a NHL regular with the Jackets.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Rychel and Dano will both be NHL players. Whether they are more than middle 6 wings remains to be seen.

3 NHL players with three mid to late 1st round picks, whether you want to believe it or not, beats all odds.

Just look up the 14th, 19th and 27th of past drafts. I'd bet less than 10% of drafts have three NHL players in those spots.

2004 had Devan Dubnyk, Lauri Korpikoski, and Jeff Schultz.
2001 had Chuck Kobasew, Shaone Morrison, and Jeff Woywitka.
1992 had Sergei Gonchar, Martin Straka, and Boris Mironov.

Went back 25 years and those are the only 14/19/27 combos where all three were NHL players, and even some of those are questionable.

Honorable mentions:

1998 had Patrick DesRochers, Robyn Regehr, and Scott Gomez.
2003 had Brent Seabrook, Ryan Getzlaf, and Jeff Tambellini.
2009 had Dmitry Kulikov, Chris Kreider, and Philippe Paradis.

So I guess what I'm finding is it's rare for even two of 14/19/27 to hit, let alone all three.

Last edited:

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016

I am especially not convinced about Rychel. I do not think that he developed well over the last season. Yes he would get more game in NHL, but I will surprised if reach 150 games.
And remember Toronto has stacked their prospect pool over the last two seasons, it doesn't become easier.
Then there all signs of attitude problems. You you really think that the fight start with fight with Jarmo? It start with fight with coach and probably other player. To me it look like he has bed advisers, in his father and manager.
From what I at lest observed from the Monsters playoff. Was a hard working player, that didn't seems to be liked to well be they other team members.
So the rumor of poison of the locker room, well it seem quite possibly to me.
And probably to 29 managers in the NHL. That is what Jarmo is up against, and it is the reason that I believe that he will never reach his potential.
I would not hire him any more!

Dano, well I believe that he has a better chance. He did well with the CBJ. But not so good since then. His stats are not even impressive on his own AHL team. So who knows, he may still reach to be NHL, and reach 200 games.
Still he was a some what good draft for CBJ, just because of what we got from the trade.

Still I will not say great. Well that my opinion.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Went back 25 years and those are the only 14/19/27 combos where all three were NHL players, and even some of those are questionable.

Honorable mentions:

2009 had Dimitri Kulikov, Chris Kreider, and Philippe Paradis.

So I guess what I'm finding is it's rare for even two of 14/19/27 to hit, let alone all three.

And even more rare for one team to be making all three picks. Wonder how many of those hit, regardless of actual pick number.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016

Honorable mentions:

2009 had Dimitri Kulikov, Chris Kreider, and Philippe Paradis.

Jeff Tambellini, well he was probably technical an NHL player, but I would considerate him a draft failure. He did very well in AHL, but he never did well in NHL. He just didn't translate well to NHL and he was given every chance and more.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016
The jury is still out on Dano, he was probably a NHL regular with the Jackets.

Completely agree, that he would probably been an NHL last year in Columbus.
Still since then, well it is not looking so bright any more! Sadly for especially him.
But I will also agree, that with new "air", he may bounce back...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Still since then, well it is not looking so bright any more!

That's nonsensical. Last I checked he played another 21 games with the Jets last season and netted another 8 points in those 21 games with a pretty good April to end the season.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Jeff Tambellini, well he was probably technical an NHL player, but I would considerate him a draft failure. He did very well in AHL, but he never did well in NHL. He just didn't translate well to NHL and he was given every chance and more.

Yep. But Seabrook and Getzlaf earn that draft an honorable mention in the 14/19/27 sweepstakes.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Of the dozen or so players drafted after Dano, who would you rather have? Maybe Bigras? I don't think you have any clue as to how good it is to get a player like Dano at #27, even though his career still has some question marks. And the fact that we got Saad for him (the number 3 ranked player from TSN's 2011 re-draft) is a giant win! Yes the word "great" is definitely needed here. Anytime a #27 can help turn into a #3, that is GREAT!

And lay off the whole luck with Bjorkstrand thing. I'm not saying it didn't involve some luck - but you had to be smarter than 29 GMs to make it happen, and Jarmo was. That's not nothing. And with Jarmo's list it was quite likely he had Bjorkstrand much much higher, quite possibly top 30. There was no failure of scouting. Maybe in the sense that the future was unknown (duh!) - but they had him higher than the other teams and that's a huge huge win for the franchise.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Of the dozen or so players drafted after Dano, who would you rather have? Maybe Bigras? I don't think you have any clue as to how good it is to get a player like Dano at #27, even though his career still has some question marks. And the fact that we got Saad for him (the number 3 ranked player from TSN's 2011 re-draft) is a giant win! Yes the word "great" is definitely needed here. Anytime a #27 can help turn into a #3, that is GREAT!

And lay off the whole luck with Bjorkstrand thing. I'm not saying it didn't involve some luck - but you had to be smarter than 29 GMs to make it happen, and Jarmo was. That's not nothing. And with Jarmo's list it was quite likely he had Bjorkstrand much much higher, quite possibly top 30. There was no failure of scouting. Maybe in the sense that the future was unknown (duh!) - but they had him higher than the other teams and that's a huge huge win for the franchise.

It's also possible that he got to the 89th pick in the draft and saw the guy ranked 36th on the Central Scouting list was far and away the highest ranked guy still available and took him. To his credit, Jarmo traded down 6 spots in round 2 and picked up the 3rd round pick that became Bjorkstrand. But there is zero evidence that Jarmo ranked him in the top 30 and a google search of that time frame includes no comments about it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Off topic (apologies) but as great as everyone is saying that '13 Draft was, what about how the '14 Draft is shaping up?. People are split on Milano - is he boom or is he bust? Collins is struggling at Minnesota. Elvis, while perhaps a diamond in the rough, won't be in North America until 2019 at the earliest. Is Siebenaler going to be much more than a career AHLer? Pelletier and Leblanc never signed. What is the expectation for Bird?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Off topic (apologies) but as great as everyone is saying that '13 Draft was, what about how the '14 Draft is shaping up?. People are split on Milano - is he boom or is he bust? Collins is struggling at Minnesota. Elvis, while perhaps a diamond in the rough, won't be in North America until 2019 at the earliest. Is Siebenaler going to be much more than a career AHLer? Pelletier and Leblanc never signed. What is the expectation for Bird?

I don't like this draft. I have no problem with Elvis taking his time - if you don't like it then don't draft goalies. But he's the only pick that still holds promise.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's also possible that he got to the 89th pick in the draft and saw the guy ranked 36th on the Central Scouting list was far and away the highest ranked guy still available and took him. To his credit, Jarmo traded down 6 spots in round 2 and picked up the 3rd round pick that became Bjorkstrand. But there is zero evidence that Jarmo ranked him in the top 30 and a google search of that time frame includes no comments about it.

Teams have long lists reaching way past that point in the draft. And after all we've been through you should know Jarmo is not the type to ditch his team's list for the Central Scouting list.

I also think it's borderline not report-worthy that a 3rd rounder was in some GM's top 30. That is to be expected several times each draft - teams lists are sometimes very different!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
2014 as a whole does not look like an impressive draft year.

My method for evaluating a GM's draft is simply some variant of looking at the players picked right after his picks, and compare. Jarmo usually does well in that, but definitely not in 2014. There were some good picks immediately after Milano (Sanheim), and Collins (Aube-Kubel), and the third rounders (Sorokin). It doesn't help that the Flyers had an amazing draft and picked one spot after. :laugh::shakehead

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My method for evaluating a GM's draft is simply some variant of looking at the players picked right after his picks, and compare. Jarmo usually does well in that, but definitely not in 2014. There were some good picks immediately after Milano (Sanheim), and Collins (Aube-Kubel), and the third rounders (Sorokin). It doesn't help that the Flyers had an amazing draft and picked one spot after. :laugh::shakehead
Yep. Pains me because I wanted Sanheim so badly. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad