Confirmed with Link: Columbus trades Kerby Rychel for Scott Harrington and a conditional pick.

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
His father is unfortunate. But the jackets knew about him when they drafted his son.

Harrington has struggled his entirety of his playing career in the pros. Injuries aside, both Toronto and Pittsburgh fans say he is no good.
I'd say "no good" is an overly harsh assessment. I don't think he has potential to be a high-end defenseman, but in his time with the Leafs he looked pretty comfortable, and like a solid NHL-calibre defenseman. Based purely on his play, there was no reason to send him down at the end of his 15 game stint with the Leafs.

Then James Reimer got injured, and we needed to call up a goalie. Since we had a full roster already, were carrying extra defensemen and Harrington was our only D-man who was waiver-exempt, he drew the short straw and got demoted. And then before he would've gotten the chance to get called back up, he suffered a season-ending injury in the AHL. The next time he gets another NHL shot, I think he'll do just fine.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
As fans we certainly have the right to ***** when decisions are made.

You sure do, it's protected by the first amendment, it doesn't mean we don't have the right to tell you how ridiculous constantly exercising it to ***** and moan is. The mob mentality of ***** and moan is strong with our little group here.

Obviously the deal has a great deal of chance to be worthless, but I haven't seen this type of thing happen with our prospects very often.

I'm not much of a fan of JK, but I'm not going to get all worked up about the treatment of the ultra poor-mans version of Drouin. Rychel and his cast of idiots (father and agent) behind him are someone else's problem now.

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
I'm not much of a fan of JK, but I'm not going to get all worked up about the treatment of the ultra poor-mans version of Drouin. Rychel and his cast of idiots (father and agent) behind him are someone else's problem now.

It's hard for me to get worked up about the return JK got for a guy who seemed to have fallen out of favor with the organ-i-zation and asked to traded. I guess the bigger concern for me is the fact that he was a first round pick. I would love to see a list of JK's draft picks and trades from the beginning of his tenure to now. Is the fan base justified in warming JK's seat? Or do we need to see what HCJT can do with a full season before grabbing the pitch forks? Still on board here, but I feel little excitement for the upcoming season.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Harrington is being underrated by many posters. He was solid for the Leafs in a limited sample size early in the season before injuries set him back. He doesn't provide much offensively but he definitely has the potential to be a reliable 3rd pairing defenceman at the NHL level for years to come. I hope he works out for you guys.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You sure do, it's protected by the first amendment, it doesn't mean we don't have the right to tell you how ridiculous constantly exercising it to ***** and moan is. The mob mentality of ***** and moan is strong with our little group here.

Obviously the deal has a great deal of chance to be worthless, but I haven't seen this type of thing happen with our prospects very often.

An issue I have with it is that JD and JK seem to only be tolerating / drafting "yes men."

They seem VERY unwilling to deal with players who question them or don't do everything they're told. Johansen, Gaborik, and Rychel among them. They've identified a "type" which is a "yes coach" guy who plays a great two way game and is swell off the ice instead of drafting the guy who is simply going to put the puck into the net the most times.

Granted, I know Rychel isn't worth a mid-1st or even a 2nd round pick. The things the Jackets have said about him have been pretty brutal. Over a year ago, Josh Anderson (projected 4th line winger at the time) passed him on the depth chart. They resigned themselves to the fact that Rychel was at most going to be a bottom-6 guy. They had big problems with his attitude and the amount of time it took him to get back from his concussion (basically saying that he was sitting out on purpose).

But even then, every good team has to realize that some guys (not necessarily Rychel) are just so good, it doesn't matter what their character is like.

Last edited:

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
The key for Harrington will be if he can improve his skating. It's not a matter of him not having the IQ, or being a bad defense-man IMO.

If he really works hard on his mobility and skating, he has potential and can be useful.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The key for Harrington will be if he can improve his skating. It's not a matter of him not having the IQ, or being a bad defense-man IMO.

If he really works hard on his mobility and skating, he has potential and can be useful.

That would be an encouraging thing to hear about a 20 year old.

That's not an encouraging thing to hear about a 23 year old.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
That would be an encouraging thing to hear about a 20 year old.

That's not an encouraging thing to hear about a 23 year old.

He honestly wasn't bad when he played for Leafs. He was just played a bit too much because of lack of d and to evaluate him. I think he can play 3rd pairing fine.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Barring injury Harrington has no role in Columbus. They clearly decided to just dump Rychel and had zero offers of anything of value. One bust traded for a different one.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016
What a punch in the sack to an utterly disappointing weekend for the Jackets. Pass on Pulju, get laughed at by Edmonton...EDMONTON and then The Capital of the Underworld. Didn't create any cap space, failed to fill in gaps in the draft (no 4th or 5th round pick). I just don't know what to think anymore, this club is just cursed or jinxed. Not sure which, but it just means we will still suck again this year. Absolutely no expectations for next year, it is what it is. Maybe the next couple of weeks will be better, but I've come to expect less, much, much less.

When Edmonton draft Pulju, it is a indication he will be a real flop.
How many "generation" player has the Oliers not draft first over all in the last decade?
One may not be a flop so far! :sarcasm:

Kerby is also, so far a flop :cry:

At lest CBJ do not used Toronto writers/experts journalist as their scouts like Oilers clearly do or like CBJ did when they drafted Nikita.
Everyone here seem to believe that first round is a sure pick, but actually only 2/3 of them are flops. (Look at Edmonton:laugh: they now how :laugh: to draft).
From what I read, I would be very concern drafting Pulju. He can easily be another Nikita, from what I read on the finish media (google translate). If I remember right Bob McK and the other expert was as high on Nikita and said he was a possibly second or maybe even first.

Fact is that Kerby Rychel has lost his value and that Toronto take a big risk on him. Like we take on Harrington. We just got a little safe guard.
Do any of you really believe that Kerby Rychel, if no expansion, would make a NHL starter?

If other teams was so much better drafting than CBJ, then there must be 29 bad scouting, since Bjorkstand falling past all second round to CBJ 3'Th. :naughty:
No Bjorkstand was no good scouting, it is luck. But not only luck, it is also scouting. Look at personality, parents growth history (Since there a good chance children follow same growth pattern), hockey IQ and skills. Scouting instinct.
This count from all young players. You see boys like Bjorkstand surpass his size, and play very well against big men, when a small 16 year old. Where see other, no one mention, early growers become junior stars, but fails when they other catch up.

So who do you draft, the early bloomer that depend on his size or the late bloomer and excel no matter his size.:huh:
Most seem to go for the big guy and seem to think he is safe. That even he has been depending on his size. In that matter, his size can be as much a question mark. Can he also play against other big but stronger boys?:dunno:
It is not easily to predict :ha:. Then come big talent, basically ready like Nikita:scared::help:, well no words.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
So who do you draft, the early bloomer that depend on his size or the late bloomer and excel no matter his size.:huh:
Most seem to go for the big guy and seem to think he is safe. That even he has been depending on his size. In that matter, his size can be as much a question mark. Can he also play against other big but stronger boys?:dunno:
It is not easily to predict :ha:. Then come big talent, basically ready like Nikita:scared::help:, well no words.

I hear what you are saying & D men do not normally hit stride until their mid to late 20's, that is a fair point.

Dubois just turned 18 on draft day - & he was the top rated player in Canada, I also get that. Saying Pulju was not a Blue Jacket type player suggests Jarmo & FO saw something they didn't like. I understand that too. I'm hoping he & Davidson made the right calls here for our sakes.. This is the 3rd re-build, in theory they built from the goal & blue line - now its just a question of whether they have the right combo of players.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Some people act like #19OA busting is some big deal. Have a look at the drafts. Seriously.

DeAngelo, taken in the same #19OA spot a year later, also got dumped today.

Yup, he was traded for the 37th overall pick. Not an AHL defenseman or a 5th-rounder.

An AHL defenseman who is not only waiver-eligible, but also will require a decision on his future in the expansion draft.

By the way, this was printed in the Syracuse paper this morning:

But (DeAngelo) was also a healthy scratch eight times, an absurdly high number for a player with the type of ability that merited Tampa Bay taking him in the first round (No. 19 overall) of the 2014 draft. Head coach Rob Zettler and Lightning assistant GM Julien BriseBois ducked behind the old "coaches decision'' cliche, but the decisions likely sprang from a combination of attitude issues, undisciplined play and an aversion to defense (DeAngelo was a minus-18).

Last edited:

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Hey guys, Leaf fan here.

I liked Harrington a lot. Was really hoping he would get a fair chance. Looked great in training camp and in some games in the regular season with the Leafs.

He was ready to go Lupul in training camp, he doesn't back down and is a solid defender, you guys will like him.

Agreed. The little I saw of him I was impressed. He's not chopped liver.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yup, he was traded for the 37th overall pick. Not an AHL defenseman or a 5th-rounder.

I agree, it's bad value. He shouldn't have waited so long to move Kerby.

An AHL defenseman who is not only waiver-eligible, but also will require a decision on his future in the expansion draft.

I have to say the expansion draft continues to be misunderstood and blown entirely out of proportion. Considering that Vegas can only take one player, wouldn't you think it is a good thing on net if Harrington exceeds expectations so much that Vegas picks him and leaves us with Atkinson or Savard or whoever else would be exposed? Why are we supposed to be so worried about this that it effects AHL level deals?

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I have to say the expansion draft continues to be misunderstood and blown entirely out of proportion. Considering that Vegas can only take one player, wouldn't you think it is a good thing on net if Harrington exceeds expectations so much that Vegas picks him and leaves us with Atkinson or Savard or whoever else would be exposed? Why are we supposed to be so worried about this that it effects AHL level deals?

This is an excellent point Major Major. The Las Vegas Front office can only take one player from each team..there could even be deals where players and picks are traded to protect exposed players, MacLean did that to allow some team to keep a certain player they didn't want to lose.

I do like that our FO has a plan: they are looking for players that fit our team personality,

This board allows me the opportunity to have an "Airing of grievances" without bothering my family or workmates - not that you folks give a **** either, but I feel better putting it out there. Thank you

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
That doesn't matter, his value should be higher than a bust with bottom pairing upside and a fifth rounder...

This trade is a sign that he wasn't going to return what you think he was going to return. He isn't a top-line winger that we made him out to be and he wasn't going to help us move a bad contract or return a first-round pick

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This trade is a sign that he wasn't going to return what you think he was going to return. He isn't a top-line winger that we made him out to be and he wasn't going to help us move a bad contract or return a first-round pick

Yeah where does he fit in our lineup? He couldn't even beat out other AHL players for a roster spot. Not really sure why people care that much, seemed like a bad egg to me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I feel like this move was made because they were afraid they would lose Rychel for nothing in the expansion draft.

Again this misunderstands the issue. Vegas is going to take a player. If they take Kerby instead of Cam, then all the better for Jackets fans.

Trading away all of your players that might get picked by Vegas doesn't help you. They are going to get one player no matter what! You want more good players for them to choose from, not less.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Or its a sign that Jarmo got fleeced out of a deal by the Maple Leafs... Again? And nobody was expecting a first liner out of him, but I was expecting a middle 6 tweeter such as Calvert. Bc he doesn't get us a first, doesn't mean we should trade him for peanuts.

Why would his value be higher? What has he done which would cause him to have more value that what he returned?

Played good with Boone when he was up here and was fine in Lake Erie. If he didn't get any better I still think he's better than any of our fourth line.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Or its a sign that Jarmo got fleeced out of a deal by the Maple Leafs... Again? And nobody was expecting a first liner out of him, but I was expecting a middle 6 tweeter such as Calvert. Bc he doesn't get us a first, doesn't mean we should trade him for peanuts.

Well is there place in the projected line-up for another Calvert? More than for a defensive brick who is currently slotted for NHL duty?

Harrington is not a notable name but about Harrington the player... Not many can clearly give much insight besides that twice he has made NHL line-up. That is about as many times as William Karlsson made it. Wild Bill I guess was the previous 'AHL' guy Blue Jackets targeted in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad