Confirmed with Link: Columbus trades Kerby Rychel for Scott Harrington and a conditional pick.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Or its a sign that Jarmo got fleeced out of a deal by the Maple Leafs... Again? And nobody was expecting a first liner out of him, but I was expecting a middle 6 tweeter such as Calvert. Bc he doesn't get us a first, doesn't mean we should trade him for peanuts.

Played good with Boone when he was up here and was fine in Lake Erie. If he didn't get any better I still think he's better than any of our fourth line.

Boone/Kerby/Anderson line played some of the best hockey we saw as CBJ fans last year albeit very briefly.

I'm still a bit miffed on the return, it just seems low and desperate for some reason. I can live with or without Kerby, but I thought he played well when he was called up and he certainly played better than some of the Vets that will continue to wear a CBJ sweater in the fall.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Are we actually miffed about the return? Or is it the fact that the team that gets shredded the most on here made us look bad?

:laugh:

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Are we actually miffed about the return? Or is it the fact that the team that gets shredded the most on here made us look bad?

:laugh:

For me it just seems low for a guy who actually played decently when called up. As a 21 year old former first rounder, it just feels low. Now, I don't know everything there is to know about the guy we got, but hearing he might make a decent bottom pairing guy, I wonder which other bottom pairing guy from the like 5 we have he would be paired with.

F the mains.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I think there must be an off ice reason for this deal because it is hard to understand it otherwise. I would have buried Rychel in the AHL for another year before making this trade.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think there must be an off ice reason for this deal because it is hard to understand it otherwise. I would have buried Rychel in the AHL for another year before making this trade.

Unless his attitude was so bad, he was a cancer on the other prospects. So we agree here. That's the only way I would have made this trade this weekend.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
There is a lot of value in a bottom pair d that is happy making a million bucks a year and doing his job. We had a good run with Nikitin for a few years, Hejda before that, Hainsey before that. Lots of value in a cap league. Don't know if that's what we'll get, but that's the upside.

Basically Tyutin that's 3.5 million dollars cheaper.

Not sure Rychel was the Monsters's 4th best wing. Not sure how he'd crack our top 9 any time soon unless we dealt away multiple players.

neek21

Sep 8, 2012
I'm speculating that Rychel, his over-bearing old man, plus his blow hard agent were at it again screaming in the FO ears and GMJK and JD just decided to get the best available return and be done with the nonsense...can't really blame them if that is what happened.....

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I have to say the expansion draft continues to be misunderstood and blown entirely out of proportion. Considering that Vegas can only take one player, wouldn't you think it is a good thing on net if Harrington exceeds expectations so much that Vegas picks him and leaves us with Atkinson or Savard or whoever else would be exposed? Why are we supposed to be so worried about this that it effects AHL level deals?

My point is that an expansion-exempt player will carry bonus value compared to one who is not exempt simply on the basis of being exempt. How many other teams would be willing to make a move to send out an additional prospect, a pick, or a player to acquire an exempt player in order to be able to shield someone who they can't otherwise protect?

There are a handful of teams that are really jammed up against an expansion draft because of roster construction, and I can guarantee you that they'd be willing to give up value to get an exempt player so they can protect an additional guy.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm speculating that Rychel, his over-bearing old man, plus his blow hard agent were at it again screaming in the FO ears and GMJK and JD just decided to get the best available return and be done with the nonsense...can't really blame them if that is what happened.....

That's the point where, if you're the front office, you kindly tell them to get stuffed and you'll do what's best for the team.

Should Carter, Nash, and Foote have been just thrown away for nothing because they wanted out and you just need to be rid of them?

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
They seem VERY unwilling to deal with players who question them or don't do everything they're told. Johansen, Gaborik, and Rychel among them. They've identified a "type" which is a "yes coach" guy who plays a great two way game and is swell off the ice instead of drafting the guy who is simply going to put the puck into the net the most times.

But even then, every good team has to realize that some guys (not necessarily Rychel) are just so good, it doesn't matter what their character is like.

And the last part is what's so important.

I think of someone like Connie Mack, who had a very specific idea of what he wanted in a ballplayer. He wanted educated, self-driven men who took baseball seriously, avoided alcohol and other vices, and were coachable, pleasant, and even-tempered. If he could have cloned Eddie Collins, he'd have been a very happy man.

Who were the best players that he ever had outside of Collins? Jimmie Foxx, who could have been a star on "Hee-Haw". Lefty Grove, who had a temper that could best be described as "volatile". Rube Waddell, whose name may still understate how much of a rube he was. Al Simmons, who refused to change his batting style. And he had several players who enjoyed drinking quite a bit.

Why? Because that's the reality of anything that you want to be successful at. Going in with all the high-sounding morals in the world sounds like a lovely thought, but it doesn't reflect the basic reality of what it will take to win and be successful. If you have a guy who can hit 50 home runs, you're willing to tolerate more from him than the guy who pinch hits in 35 games a year. If your pitcher can go the distance every five days, you'll put up with more from him than the middle reliever who only got a chance because of an injury. And if you don't...well, that's why Leo Durocher said that the nice guys are all in the bottom of the division.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Kerby did nothing for his value in the playoffs. So many guys stepped up, but Kerby didn't.

Bjork, Anderson, Zaar, Hannikainen, Milano, 34 yr old Ryan Craig, Sedlak, Broadhurst, and Trent freakin' Vogelhuber all outscored him in the playoffs. Those were just the forwards... Kerby played as a grinder just skating around trying to hit, not doing much of anything. At least 2 of his 6 points were via secondary assists. His only goal was a tap in during the blowout loss to Grand Rapids where Werenski did the hard part by tossing a pass to the crease where Kerby and a dman were fighting for position.

I'm not convinced he will be more than what he ever was here. I admit I was wrong about him, I thought he'd be a 25 goal scorer in the NHL. He still could be but its looking more like a longshot.

Maybe he gets his passion back as a Leaf but he didn't have it here. Period.

If you ignore the fact that he was drafted in the 1st round and just looked at performance, the return was fair. But unfortunately thats not how it works as fans.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Rychel's potential was fading fast imo. Not a terrible move, just a shame we didn't do better with a 1st round pick in the first place.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Do you actually believe Harrington would clear waivers? lol

We'll likely find out - I think at best he's a 6th-7th d-man on this team. Which means he'll likely get a shot to play here but he's probably as likely to be subjected to waivers as well.
There's a reason we got that in the deal, so we don't lose him for nothing, at least we get a 5th round pick.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
He couldn't even keep up with those saps

Kerby 2G 7A 32 GP +/- +5
Campbell 3G 8A 82 GP +/- -6
Clarkson 2G 2A 22 GP +/- -8
Boll 1G 2A 30 GP +/- -3

I dunno, for a guy who just got called up and then stuck with these turds, he played pretty well. Particularly when on someone else's line IMO.

Of the 4, I know which one I'd rather have still on the team based on stats anyways.

We Want Ten

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I wonder if people aren't separating the player from his pain in the ass agent and dad when reflecting on the trade.

I still think the return was too low.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Kerby 2G 7A 32 GP +/- +5
Campbell 3G 8A 82 GP +/- -6
Clarkson 2G 2A 22 GP +/- -8
Boll 1G 2A 30 GP +/- -3

I dunno, for a guy who just got called up and then stuck with these turds, he played pretty well. Particularly when on someone else's line IMO.

Of the 4, I know which one I'd rather have still on the team based on stats anyways.

Other than Campbell he didn't play much with them. He played more with Karlsson, Anderson, Jenner, and Calvert. Those were also some of the guys he had to be better than to earn a permanent spot, and he definitely wasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->