Columbus Thread VII (Convo and Questions About Columbus for Visitors and Locals)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
OhioMeansJobs might be useful if you are looking for work. (It is built off of monster.com)

You might want to give us more info like your age range, things you like to do, what part of town her job is in, etc. if you want more advice.

Mid-30s, office worker who's mainly been in vendor management/media measurement/business analysis. Educated to Masters level (our Masters and PhD are split in the UK, believes that's not the case in the US?) if that makes any difference.

She'll be working somewhere near *peers at map* near Groveport so I imagine we wouldn't want to live on the north side of town.

We don't have kids yet, although I think we'll start trying soon.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Given that information, you will likely find a job downtown, in Dublin (northwest), around Polaris (north), or around Easton (northeast). With your wife working in Groveport, you probably should start off somewhere centrally located. Downtown has lots of new apartments. German Village is great if you can afford it. The Arena District (near the hockey arena) could be cool. If you are outdoorsy, there is plenty of new development going in around a soon to be opened metro park called Quarry Trails.

Quarry Trails - Metro Parks - Central Ohio Park System

If I were in my 30s with no kids and moving to Columbus now, I’d probably want to be near Quarry Trails.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Given that information, you will likely find a job downtown, in Dublin (northwest), around Polaris (north), or around Easton (northeast). With your wife working in Groveport, you probably should start off somewhere centrally located. Downtown has lots of new apartments. German Village is great if you can afford it. The Arena District (near the hockey arena) could be cool. If you are outdoorsy, there is plenty of new development going in around a soon to be opened metro park called Quarry Trails.

Quarry Trails - Metro Parks - Central Ohio Park System

If I were in my 30s with no kids and moving to Columbus now, I’d probably want to be near Quarry Trails.
Quarry Trails is virtually on the opposite side of town from the Groveport area. That and it's not going to be fully open for a while yet; only the first 60-100 acres of a planned 220 are expected - Quarry Trails Metro Park set to be open to visitors in October

Reactions: Peat

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Quarry Trails is virtually on the opposite side of town from the Groveport area. That and it's not going to be fully open for a while yet; only the first 60-100 acres of a planned 220 are expected - Quarry Trails Metro Park set to be open to visitors in October

Quarry Trails is fairly central. It has easy access to 670 off Dublin Rd, 70 off McKinley, and 270 from Trabue. His wife will have a fairly easy commute. I would say Powell is the opposite side of town from Groveport.

He is not going to work in Groveport. I’d bet downtown, Dublin, or Polaris area given his background. Or he could be overworked and underpaid by Les Wexner out by Easton. I am trying to suggest places where they both wouldn’t hate their commute.

If it were me, and I had no kids and was in my 30s, I’d think right now would be the time to get a place near Quarry Trails. It begins to open in October and once it is open, demand for apartments near it will go way up. It is real estate — it is better to get in early before a place gets really popular.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Mid-30s, office worker who's mainly been in vendor management/media measurement/business analysis. Educated to Masters level (our Masters and PhD are split in the UK, believes that's not the case in the US?) if that makes any difference.

She'll be working somewhere near *peers at map* near Groveport so I imagine we wouldn't want to live on the north side of town.

We don't have kids yet, although I think we'll start trying soon.

Depends on the kind of place/neighborhood in which you live and would like to live. Columbus is surrounded by suburban communities that are very appealing and have decent amenities. Some of them can be pricey, and I’d you’re buying, you probably already know home prices are high. However, same can be said for condos/townhomes in the city or one of the older neighborhoods closer to downtown.

So… some for examples. If you like neighborhoods where the homes are close together, Bexley might be a good option, or Grandview or Clintonville, which are a little further from Groveport. If you like a more urban living feel but still with unique standalone homes, German Village makes sense. There are increasingly more flexible living options downtown as well. Larger lots and newer homes can be found in any of the suburbs, especially Pickerington and Grove City on the south side. Indeed, Groveport itself is a neat area with a small town feel.

The good news from your job perspective is that companies that donor need what you do are abundant in Columbus. Hard to say where you’d be working though, as many places have not yet returned to offices and are considering not doing so.

Lastly, please tell your wife that, while it might seem unpleasant, she needs to switch her NHL allegiance to the Blue Jackets. We don’t need any more stinkin Pens fans here.

Signed, another Pittsburgh native in Columbus

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It just depends if you’re looking to be downtown, in the suburbs, or somewhere in between, and how long you’re willing to commute to Groveport. It’s really only about 15 minutes Southeast of downtown so you really do have plenty of options. If you’re trying to stay close to her work and want suburbs, you would be good in Pickerington, Canal Winchester, or Gahanna. If you want something more centrally located and a little more suburb-in-the-city or semi-urban, then Bexley, Grandview and Upper Arlington are all within about 10 minutes of downtown and offer a little more action and proximity to hot spots. Clintonville falls in that category and is somewhat of the semi-urban community, but isn’t really part of a highly-regarded school district like the others. Then the recommended downtown neighborhoods are German Village and Victorian Village / Italian Village / Short North (basically the whole area between downtown and Ohio State’s Campus). That’s where most of your nightlife will be. Columbus isn’t really a place that has much of a club scene city, but has a great food, brewery, and distillery scene. And most of that would center around the Short North.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

I live in the heart of downtown and work in Groveport. (She works in Logistics or warehousing?)

Stay south of 70. Downtown is expensive, but Ohio-expensive, not expensive-expensive. But lots of rentable places around here to live for a while until you figure it out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thanks all :thumbu:

Truth be told, I'm not sure what exactly we're looking for. I've always lived fairly urban and am used to amenities nearby, but she's a 'burbs girl. There's also the minor fact that I can't drive (will start learning soon, but was just no need where I lived, so we'll see how enthusiastic I am for nearby things once I'm done learning. If Columbus companies are switching to WFH, that'd be amazing for me, I hugely prefer it. We'll probably rent to begin with and consider buying somewhere once we've got our bearings better - and once we've got a better idea of how long she's staying with her company and where she wants her career to go.

In any case, excited to see what it's like. We're not club people, but we love good food and drink (she works in hospitality) and we're aware Columbus has a good rep for those things.

Lastly, please tell your wife that, while it might seem unpleasant, she needs to switch her NHL allegiance to the Blue Jackets. We don’t need any more stinkin Pens fans here.

Signed, another Pittsburgh native in Columbus

I think there might be a better chance of world peace than that happening :laugh: we are excited to go to some Blue Jackets games but at most we'll be supporting two teams (not that I can imagine people following both are particularly popular...).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Truth be told, I'm not sure what exactly we're looking for. I've always lived fairly urban and am used to amenities nearby, but she's a 'burbs girl. There's also the minor fact that I can't drive (will start learning soon, but was just no need where I lived, so we'll see how enthusiastic I am for nearby things once I'm done learning. If Columbus companies are switching to WFH, that'd be amazing for me, I hugely prefer it.
I don't know if it's a general trend or not, but most of the working folks in my immediate and surrounding family are WFH, myself included. My brother was WFH even before the pandemic, tho, and my mother's stuff is largely seasonal (she does tax prep and bee rescues). Only my sister still has to regularly be in the office.

I think there might be a better chance of world peace than that happening :laugh: we are excited to go to some Blue Jackets games but at most we'll be supporting two teams (not that I can imagine people following both are particularly popular...).
Enh, I managed as a Jackets and Preds fan when the Preds were still the in-division boogeyman. There's ways to make it work.
just so long as the Jackets come first, anyways... ;)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Indeed and understood. I was mostly just letting you in on a long-running personal conundrum. I already lived here when the CBJ joined the league, and I made a conscious decision at the time to become a Jackets fan first, Pens fan second, despite having grown up in Pittsburgh and being a hockey fan in the 70s when the Penguins, well, stunk. It was no small thing. And folks in both fanbases have reason to hate it.

Most Pittsburgh fans in Central Ohio did not make the same decision, and given their number and how they turn out in Nationwide Arena, I'm just looking to recruit.;)

As a Pittsburgh native with British cousins (Lancashire) who makes his home in Columbus, welcome!

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Truth be told, I'm not sure what exactly we're looking for. I've always lived fairly urban and am used to amenities nearby, but she's a 'burbs girl. There's also the minor fact that I can't drive (will start learning soon, but was just no need where I lived, so we'll see how enthusiastic I am for nearby things once I'm done learning. If Columbus companies are switching to WFH, that'd be amazing for me, I hugely prefer it. We'll probably rent to begin with and consider buying somewhere once we've got our bearings better - and once we've got a better idea of how long she's staying with her company and where she wants her career to go.

Pre-covid I could work from home 2 days a week. Post-covid I haven't been able to do that once.

Having said that, Columbus traffic is about 1/3 what it was pre-covid. So many empty parking lots because so many work from home. I am the exception that I haven't been able to WFH at all.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If you don’t drive, staying near downtown makes sense at first. Because of the potential for jobs and limited bus routes. COTA is the website for COTA (Central Ohio Transit Authority) if you want to see how limited public transit is. We are definitely a car town.

I work downtown, or at least I used to. I was 100% in the office pre COVID. Now I am 100% remote, but we will likely have some sort of hybrid model in the future. (Maybe 2 days per week in the office.)

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm adding nothing new here at all - but If you like the Burbs then maybe check out Grove City as well.

Traffic in Columbus even pre pandemic wasn't that bad (compared to other metros) and has been pretty easy now as well.

I lived in DT Columbus (Arena District) for about 9 years and loved it, very walkable pretty small DT area. But there is definetely more crime downtown. But certainly like anything else in metro cities you just need will figure out where to be and generally where not to be.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
I'm 6th generation Grove City. It's still small town enough that the mayor knows me by name. The area is growing fast though. About 300 houses and condos are being built right behind me. It's about the same all around the outer belt. So lots of choices.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm 6th generation Grove City. It's still small town enough that the mayor knows me by name. The area is growing fast though. About 300 houses and condos are being built right behind me. It's about the same all around the outer belt. So lots of choices.

My daughter just moved into a brand new apartment complex in GC. It’s a part of town we never got to and I been cool to explore a little.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Funny thing, now that I think about it; I don't think I've ever actually been to Grove City. Unless you count driving down I-71.

We're all UA and Dublin in this family. It's technically more than we can ostensibly reasonably afford property-wise, but, well, schools.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Indeed and understood. I was mostly just letting you in on a long-running personal conundrum. I already lived here when the CBJ joined the league, and I made a conscious decision at the time to become a Jackets fan first, Pens fan second, despite having grown up in Pittsburgh and being a hockey fan in the 70s when the Penguins, well, stunk. It was no small thing. And folks in both fanbases have reason to hate it.

Most Pittsburgh fans in Central Ohio did not make the same decision, and given their number and how they turn out in Nationwide Arena, I'm just looking to recruit.;)

As a Pittsburgh native with British cousins (Lancashire) who makes his home in Columbus, welcome!

At least it'll always give me something to start a conversation over :nod:

Guess I should probably start hanging around here so I know what's what when I do get to see a game. Feels like a hell of a lot's changed in the one season out of the Metro...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Several of the suburbs have or have built up and/or revived nice main streets with restaurants/bars/shops/other shit — Westerville, Powell, Dublin, Hilliard, Grove City, Grandview, Bexley so you can probably get a little bit of both of suburban living and the walk-around-do-a-few-things-on-a-Saturday-night type experience in those communities.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Several of the suburbs have or have built up and/or revived nice main streets with restaurants/bars/shops/other shit — Westerville, Powell, Dublin, Hilliard, Grove City, Grandview, Bexley so you can probably get a little bit of both of suburban living and the walk-around-do-a-few-things-on-a-Saturday-night type experience in those communities.
UA is desperately trying to do something similar in a not-so-straight stretch from North Star & Lane to Kingsdale roughly by way of Northam Park. Given the proposals being talked about for the former Macy's site, they might even pull it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad