Columbus Thread VII (Convo and Questions About Columbus for Visitors and Locals)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
...wait, people actually question this?

I mean, it's not nationally iconic or anything like that, but it is definitely and obviously a very specific thing. (I come from a family of Tommy's partisans.) I swear, folks come here with the idea that we're a faceless nothing and go out of their way to try to force it when it doesn't turn out that way...

Tommy's is outstanding. Also a big fan of some other Columbus Style pizza places like Panzera's, Rubino's, Terita's and Eagles. A lot of people like Massey's and Donato's, but they're further down on the list for me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Tommy's is outstanding. Also a big fan of some other Columbus Style pizza places like Panzera's, Rubino's, Terita's and Eagles. A lot of people like Massey's and Donato's, but they're further down on the list for me.
I've not gotten the opportunity to try several of those, alas.

Amusingly, Donato's was what I did for dinner earlier this evening. Their cauliflower pizza is astonishingly nice for when you're trying to pretend to be healthy while being lazy.

* * *​
Has anybody ever tried pizza from Mikey's Late Night Slice? I've never had pizza from there but my daughter and son in law say it's outstanding.
I have and it's okay. They're basically trying to do New York style here and they do a fair job.

* * *​
Grandads is the standard by which all other Columbus style pizza should be judged
Sadly, there's something about the texture of their crust that I really don't like.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If you want NY style, don't go to Mikey's. Go to Cafe Napolitana on N High.

napolitana-alley-bar.jpg

2 slices for $8.00 lunch deal

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Last edited:

puckfan64

May 4, 2007
C-bus
If you're into Columbus-style pizza, there's an excellent book available entitled Columbus Pizza: A Slice of History written by local food blogger Jim Ellison:

https://www.amazon.com/Columbus-Pizza-History-American-Palate/dp/1467143766

Most of the aforementioned pizza joints are mentioned prominently. FWIW, I'm a big fan of Massey's and Ange's, having grown up in Whitehall, and my favorite local NY-style is Borgata. For Chicago-style, I'll hit up Meister's or Giordano's at Polaris

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
When I'm in Columbus, I'm usually either at Polaris or downtown. Any good Columbus-style pizza joints in either area?

Other than Donatos. I can be at one of those in five minutes if I can hit all the lights green.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
When I'm in Columbus, I'm usually either at Polaris or downtown. Any good Columbus-style pizza joints in either area?

Other than Donatos. I can be at one of those in five minutes if I can hit all the lights green.
If you're downtown, the closest legit Columbus-style pizza places are probably Rubino's in Bexley, or Rotolo's or Panzera's in Grandview Heights, both about 10 minutes away. Plank's on Parsons might be a candidate, but their sauce is very sweet. There are a couple of good downtown pizza places that serve more traditional pies, including Cafe Napolitana which is outstanding pizza by the slice. I'm less familiar with Polaris, but Westerville isn't too far and Pasquale's is good as is Antonio's and Giammarco's.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Anthony's Detroit is my #1 overall.
looks like Jets from the picture… but I love Jets so… :nod:

Arena District DORA would allow fans to drink, shop, and stroll | NBC4 WCMH-TV

Columbus City Council has begun the process of establishing a Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area — or DORA — in the Arena District.

The DORA would allow residents to buy alcoholic beverages at participating bars and restaurants, then take the drinks with them as they walk around the area.

DORA.jpg
Not the biggest fan of Ginther but kudos to him for supporting this idea

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Vinegar is not BBQ

I'm a Texas BBQ fan but the vinegar based sauce is a Carolina thing.

Look I love BBQ - but Ray Ray's (best in town IMO) is $26/# of brisket. City is still $19/#. City leverages purchasing a heck of a lot better than Ray Ray's, but Ray Ray's style of smoking is better.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm a Texas BBQ fan but the vinegar based sauce is a Carolina thing.

Look I love BBQ - but Ray Ray's (best in town IMO) is $26/# of brisket. City is still $19/#. City leverages purchasing a heck of a lot better than Ray Ray's, but Ray Ray's style of smoking is better.
BBQ in Columbus starts and ends with Ray Ray’s. There is no other discussion about it.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
BBQ in Columbus starts and ends with Ray Ray’s. There is no other discussion about it.

Here's the thing we need to see if he can run a restaurant. He closed several in the past.
He's very good at food trucks (less people to manage) and now he has a guy to help him.
So he's a great Pit Master but IMO City has the advantage for # of people served and for have 50 some restaurants
But no doubt his food quality is top notch.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here's the thing we need to see if he can run a restaurant. He closed several in the past.
He's very good at food trucks (less people to manage) and now he has a guy to help him.
So he's a great Pit Master but IMO City has the advantage for # of people served and for have 50 some restaurants

I get that there’s value in being able to replicate and expand your brand, but I don’t care if he can run a restaurant if I know where and when I can get his food.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Brick and Mortar restaurants can be overrated. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad