Rumor: Columbus shopping David Savard

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Werenski led the entire league in goals among d men

The thing holding Werenski back from being a #1 Dman isn't his goal scoring, that's for sure.

Nothing wrong with being an awesome #2 though.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
@columbus fans how would he look next to Hughes? I've seen him play in the playoffs last 2 seasons and loved his game. I noticed he likes to rush the puck but how's his dzone transition and coverage? Can he be a safety net for Hughes or would he be better off as the rusher playing with Edler?

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The Nutivaara trade is going to look even more stupid if he doesn't land Petro/Barrie tomorrow. Even Savard only has one year left, why rush to move him?
Barrie can't be a target. He would be a complete disaster with Torts. Petro or Hall, sure.

Maybe an offer sheet? Do they have their picks to get one done? Jarmo seems like the type of GM who would have the balls to do it.

Reactions: qqaz

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Torts believes he can turn an orange traffic cone into a serviceable end of roster defenseman. So it makes sense to trade from a position of strength to improve the team overall

Completely agree, but they're not even trading...giving quality players away. Should at least be getting 2nd round picks. . .

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Barrie can't be a target. He would be a complete disaster with Torts. Petro or Hall, sure.

Maybe an offer sheet? Do they have their picks to get one done? Jarmo seems like the type of GM who would have the balls to do it.
We don’t have a 2nd round pick in 2021, I believe

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Not sure how wise it is to get another 1D when you already have 2. Theres gotta be better places to use that money.

Well, Columbus builds from the backend. Even the forwards they have are defensively aware. They also have no forward over 6M. That will obviously change when PLD gets an extension. Torts and Jarmo seem to like having a balanced 2-3rd liners offense and top-notch backend. It kinda is like Vegas actually. No real stars. And for the record - I rather have a team structured like this, than what Maple Leafs have done. If you want to restructure the team, it is very easy to trade a 1D for 1st liners...

Reactions: Team Cozens

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well, Columbus builds from the backend. Even the forwards they have are defensively aware. They also have no forward over 6M. That will obviously change when PLD gets an extension. Torts and Jarmo seem to like having a balanced 2-3rd liners offense and top-notch backend. It kinda is like Vegas actually. No real stars. And for the record - I rather have a team structured like this, than what Maple Leafs have done. If you want to restructure the team, it is very easy to trade a 1D for 1st liners...
I’d rather not be super heavy on either side - those aren’t the only choices. Mid-late firsts don’t return first line forwards very often, do they?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I’d rather not be super heavy on either side - those aren’t the only choices. Mid-late firsts don’t return first line forwards very often, do they?

I was talking about 1D:s, not 1st:s. If you have Jones, Werenski and Pietrangelo and willing to trade them, there is absolutely teams that trade 1st liners for them. No question.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Is CBJ trying to get someone from Tampa? Maybe a player in FA and someone on the trade market we don't know about. Could explain the cap space.

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
I highly doubt Savvy goes anywhere now. Jarmo has the cap space he needs, CBJ are NOT a budget team, and they need zero improvement on the backend in the form of another expensive D.

Savard IS Columbus. He’s beloved and in turn loves being a Jacket. Probably one of the many reasons Murray was traded instead.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
You know Columbus is approx. the half way point between St. Louis and Toronto. Talks broke off today with Petro and St. Louis and suddenly Columbus is shedding cap space like mad.
Ya you don’t trade half your D for peanuts if you’re not going for him. Seems their priority more than for Hall

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If this is true then I really think Jarmo is getting carried away.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't talk to FA's until noon, right? So he's just clearing a ton of space without knowing what he'll end up with.
They can sign from noon. Talks started a week before I think. New rule from a season or two ago.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I think the whole point of making him available was Columbus was trying to move some cap. Now that they traded away Murray and Nutivaraa, I strongly doubt Savard is going anywhere.

Their top 4 now is Savard, Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov. Moving Savard is basically moving a top 4 defenseman and they dont have a replacement for him right now. My guess is he is staying.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If he ends up anywhere other than Toronto and the cost is less than a king's ransom, I will be very, very sad.

Leafs luck couldnt have been any worse with the timing of all of their top players signing those deals(tho I feel like they should have gotten together and decided to sign for cheaper than they did to try to be that next dynasty, but regardless still bad luck). I hope they do land Pietrangelo.

If not for the Leafs the Pens dont win b2b cups. I rather see them be the next team out of the East if not the Pens.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I highly doubt Savvy goes anywhere now. Jarmo has the cap space he needs, CBJ are NOT a budget team, and they need zero improvement on the backend in the form of another expensive D.

Savard IS Columbus. He’s beloved and in turn loves being a Jacket. Probably one of the many reasons Murray was traded instead.

Couldn't agree more.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I think the whole point of making him available was Columbus was trying to move some cap. Now that they traded away Murray and Nutivaraa, I strongly doubt Savard is going anywhere.

Their top 4 now is Savard, Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov. Moving Savard is basically moving a top 4 defenseman and they dont have a replacement for him right now. My guess is he is staying.
There were talks that Andrew Peeke was going to replace Savard but he's only played in 22 games. Either they think he's special or feel Gavrikov is good enough to babysit him while he develops. Mind you Peeke did look decent when he played. I can't remember but assuming he was on the 3rd pair which means wasn't getting minutes of a top 4 d-men. Then again, maybe that was the plan, but not for this up coming season but the season after, once he gets more experience as Savard would be a UFA after this season. Also can't remember if it was fans and media who assumed Peeke was a potential replacement or if Columbus made a comment to make us think that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad