Seravalli: Columbus engaged in trade talks to move defenseman

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I think Peeke is probably worth a 2nd, Boqvist a first or maybe two 2nds instead, and then whatever 500k might be worth, maybe a 3rd?
Oof I am going to have to push back quite vehemently on this. Peeke was one of the worst defensemen in the league last yr and he's owed what 2.75 for 3 more yrs? That is without question a negative asset on paper. Boqvist is a decent offensive defenseman but has not much interest in the defensive side of the game so it's hard to know if he even is a top 4 d man. He is worth maybe a 2nd at this point I would think.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oof I am going to have to push back quite vehemently on this. Peeke was one of the worst defensemen in the league last yr
...just like Gavrikov, right? Which was why he was a terrible terrible pickup for any deadline team and sure to be absoultely terrible everywhere, right?

Someday, people are going to clue in on the fact that advanced stats disproportionately make defensemen on bad teams look bad.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
...just like Gavrikov, right? Which was why he was a terrible terrible pickup for any deadline team and sure to be absoultely terrible everywhere, right?

Someday, people are going to clue in on the fact that advanced stats disproportionately make defensemen on bad teams look bad.
Is Peeke comparable to Gavrikov? Only asking because I saw a good bit of Gavrikov in the 1st round last season.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Well, Except Gavrikov has multiple years playing good physical top 4 hockey.

Can't say the same for Peeke, who seems to be a dime dozen bottom pair Dman.

Boqvist isn't worth much either, but has some value if used correctly. Definitely not getting 1st for any of these guys though.

Also, I always thought Gav was worth what he got from the Kings, so i don't understand how that is comparable. Gavrikov was highly valued by a lot of fans for years.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, Except Gavrikov has multiple years playing good physical top 4 hockey.

Can't say the same for Peeke, who seems to be a dime dozen bottom pair Dman.

Boqvist isn't worth much either, but has some value if used correctly. Definitely not getting 1st for any of these guys though.

Also, I always thought Gav was worth what he got from the Kings, so i don't understand how that is comparable. Gavrikov was highly valued by a lot of fans for years.
That was more a reaction to the whole "advanced stats say bad therefore bad" conceit rather than a full on comparison. Peeke isn't a right-handed Gavrikov; he has some severe limitations. He's more of a #4-5 guy who needs to work alongside someone who can actually pass the puck.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That was more a reaction to the whole "advanced stats say bad therefore bad" conceit rather than a full on comparison. Peeke isn't a right-handed Gavrikov; he has some severe limitations. He's more of a #4-5 guy who needs to work alongside someone who can actually pass the puck.
Thanks for this.

Edmonton, at least in my IMO, needs to be targeting a guy that can play with Nurse. Since Nurse is primarily a rusher (and is a pretty poor passer) his ideal partner needs to have that skillset. Doesn't sound like Peeke is our guy.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
So who is Jackets actually gonna trade? Bean, Severson and Gudbrandsen seems like the only defensemen worth keeping tbh.

Provorov was great last night, for the wings.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's important not to overlook the fact that CBJ made a great pick taking Jiricek at #6. That could be one the Flyers really regret. Just look at the resources Philly has expended on acquiring RHD over the past few years.

Gudas for Niskanen (who was very good, but retired after one season)

2nd and a 3rd for Braun (who was pretty good, but was already old)

Patrick and Myers for Ellis (who played 4 games before going on LITRetirement)

14th overall + 39th overall + Hagg for Risto (who is crap and signed for four more years at $5.1m)

101st overall + 71st overall + 2024 2nd for DeAngelo (who was a defensive disaster and got bought out after one year)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Boy, have I got a great deal for you. For one unwanted Andrew Peeke, I'd be willing to trade to you, a player who played C, with great success last year. Over 900 Faceoffs, 53% in the dot and put up over 50 points last year. Now Columbus REALLY needs Centers, that much is for sure... I mean Laine has taken the second most faceoffs.... This really is a unique opportunity to address a franchise need, with a wonderful player. Act now for this limited time offer.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Boy, have I got a great deal for you. For one unwanted Andrew Peeke, I'd be willing to trade to you, a player who played C, with great success last year. Over 900 Faceoffs, 53% in the dot and put up over 50 points last year. Now Columbus REALLY needs Centers, that much is for sure... I mean Laine has taken the second most faceoffs.... This really is a unique opportunity to address a franchise need, with a wonderful player. Act now for this limited time offer.
Been there, done that, traded him for literally nothing.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Been there, done that, traded him for literally nothing.

But... but... this is a player who has grown tremendously since then... and by that, I mean he can see over the counter at McDonald's now. Seriously though, he really was a fantastic C last year, and you really could use that. I'd even throw in a free voucher for Tim Horton's.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
But... but... this is a player who has grown tremendously since then... and by that, I mean he can see over the counter at McDonald's now. Seriously though, he really was a fantastic C last year, and you really could use that. I'd even throw in a free voucher for Tim Horton's.
Nah. No refunds or takebacks.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yep. Kubalik for Peeke, please.

Sens defensive depth sucks and we can't ice an NHL defence right now with three guys down. Jackets can move kubalik at the deadline for assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad