Seravalli: Columbus engaged in trade talks to move defenseman

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't think Peeke is that great but I could see Treliving liking him, Leafs will likely trade for at least one defenseman at some point this season

Reactions: banks

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
My understanding from Columbus fans is that they were more keen on Boqvist at this point than Peeke, but I may be flat out wrong. The latter would probably attract more interest at this point from playoff teams due to the style of game he plays.

Reactions: I3LI3

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Gotta imagine Vancouver is poking around but not sure there’s a fit unless a 3rd team is involved.
Not sure a third team needs to be involved unless $ is going the other way Beauvillier for Peeke?

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Whether it’s now or later, Columbus might have to move on from all three of Peeke, Boqvist and Bean within the next year because of how good Jiricek and Mateychuk looked at camp this year.

The need for flexibility is due to the team being nearly maxed out on waiver exempt players or IR. Once Olivier, Tarasov, or Chinakhov comes off IR, people will need to start getting waived (or Chinakhov, Sillinger, or Fantilli would have to be sent down).

And I think the team wants Blankenburg up at the NHL level. He was wearing an “A” his last preseason game.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
With all due respect to CBJ fans, but hasn't their whole M.O. this season been about how they are going to be very competitive in the METRO? So why would they move out their defensive depth when they are going to make a run in the playoffs this season?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My understanding from Columbus fans is that they were more keen on Boqvist at this point than Peeke, but I may be flat out wrong. The latter would probably attract more interest at this point from playoff teams due to the style of game he plays.
I think "Columbus fans" recognize their relative strengths and weaknesses, and most would fall on the side of Boqvist is stronger at his strengths than Peeke is at his - if that makes sense. The inverse is that the roster could benefit more from Peeke's strengths. I think we'd also agree there is a logjam and would broadly be comfortable trading any of the three provided it's the best value in return.

Last edited:

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't think Peeke is that great but I could see Treliving liking him, Leafs will likely trade for at least one defenseman at some point this season

We do not need dmen around the bottom of our lineup we have 10 of those. We need a top 3 dman

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
With all due respect to CBJ fans, but hasn't their whole M.O. this season been about how they are going to be very competitive in the METRO? So why would they move out their defensive depth when they are going to make a run in the playoffs this season?
The CBJ FO has probably six guys they're comfortable with at RD at the NHL level. I don't think this is the kind of move where there's no depth if they make a move. The relative merits of that position can be argued, but this speculation in no way hinders an overall approach of being competitive.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
We do not need dmen around the bottom of our lineup we have 10 of those. We need a top 3 dman

Not really. Kokkonen, Lajoie, Benoit, Lagesson...these guys aren't really NHL players on a good team. With Timmins hurt the Leafs don't have good 7th/8th D options. I agree they also ideally get an impact guy on the backend at the deadline, but I think they'll trade for a depth piece along the way as well.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I think "Columbus fans" recognize their relative strengths and weaknesses, and most would fall on the side of Boqvist is stronger at his strengths than Peeke - if that makes sense. I think we'd also agree there is a logjam and would broadly be comfortable trading any of the three provided it's the best value in return.

Yes, I appreciate I was speaking in generalities, and thank you for the insight. It's a good "problem" to have, particularly since right-side defensemen appear to be coveted.

Always liked Boqvist, for much the same reason as I liked Rasmus Sandin, in that I think there's some real offensive potential there if he can put a full season together.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I have a gut feeling, nothing more nothing less, that Vancouver is in advanced talks with CBJ for Peeke, though they may settle for someone else. With Soucy going down to injury, and Friedman (?) mentioning theres talk they may want to bring someone in to "get heavier" this just seems to much to not be looking for.

Beauvillier retained to 2.75 for Peeke?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Makes the Jones trade hurt less because Boqvist isn't THAT good.
he missed some time last year with an injury but when he came back he was really good, relative to the rest of our defense at least. scored at about a 40 point pace last year when in the lineup and pp1 generally looked better when he was in there.

definitely needs a specific type of partner to make his game work, and i don't know if the jackets currently have that for him, and their top defensive prospects (jiricek, mateychuk, svozil) are all high activation guys that he may not work well with.

looks like he's a guy who just got squeezed out of the roster with all of the other moves. i'd prefer to keep him for now + move peeke instead, given how much better boqvist was last year, but if they do move him i hope he lands in a good situation.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Beauvillier retained to 2.75 for Peeke?
i'd do that.

most jackets fans are irrationally afraid of losing bemstrom/foudy on waivers (despite the fact that both guys passed through multiple times last year unclaimed) but beauvillier is a clear upgrade over both guys.

Reactions: elitepete

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's been said since day 1 that Treliving wants to add size to the defense.

Makes me wonder if he's targeting 6"3 210 pound Andrew Peeke.

especially since he's 25 with multiple years left on his deal.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
it was more of a quality issue than a depth issue.

now four of the six spots are locked up (werenski, severson, provorov, gudbranson) with three spots remaining (RD2, LD3, 7D) and five candidates (peeke, boqvist, bean, blankenburg, jiricek).

eventually peeke/boqvist will both have to be moved, but one of them has to go now to clear a spot for blankenburg. jiricek will kick down the door at some point, though, and they'll need to make room for him somehow.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Whether it’s now or later, Columbus might have to move on from all three of Peeke, Boqvist and Bean within the next year because of how good Jiricek and Mateychuk looked at camp this year.

The need for flexibility is due to the team being nearly maxed out on waiver exempt players or IR. Once Olivier, Tarasov, or Chinakhov comes off IR, people will need to start getting waived (or Chinakhov, Sillinger, or Fantilli would have to be sent down).

And I think the team wants Blankenburg up at the NHL level. He was wearing an “A” his last preseason game.
Not sure where I saw it around here, but I saw that people were criticizing Jiricek pretty hard and saying he is definitely just not ready??

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Colorado currently have only 6 Dmen on their roster, and Makar and Manson have been nursing injuries recently. Meanwhile Malinski has also failed to make the 3RD job his own while Jack Johnson is looking a bit cooked, so perhaps there's interest in Peeke to shore up the RHD depth.

With Francouz on LTIR they have $2.525m in capspace with a 21 man roster, so they could be players for Peeke ($2.75m aav) either if Columbus retains $225k, or if they're willing to send MacDermid down.

Fwiw $2.525m would alternatively be enough to add Fabbro ($2.5m) who has been speculated to be available too, without the need for retention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad