GDT: Columbus @ Colorado, 12/31/2013, 6:00pm MT

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I have to say, its pretty crazy that we've managed to stay .500 and actually continue to win games without Tanguay the last 2 months, and now we wont have PAP either.

When(If) this team can come back from the Olympic break fully healthy, we should be in a real good position to make a good run for the playoffs. .500 hockey from here to the break would set us up well IMO.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
i did see the trip at the end... it did look both like a trip and like staz jumped into the landing part and thats what others where seeing.. often we see both the penelty and the diving together.. but whatever ... Im not saying anything positive about the refs... what amazingly inconsistent calls all year... both ways...
At least the elbow to the head got called.... I was yelling a the TV to call a penalty so I personally feel justified, that call and the win...

So, after most of the major sports and even with goals in hockey, TV review is use... PLEASE explain to me why we are not seeing a video official in real time calling penalties..????
Wake up NHL and get over your 1950's attitudes and add some help to these overworked guys on the ice. We are seeing in HI def many many missed calls every game....

OK rant over.
Was it really three PP goals
Im drunk on the win,,,,

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I have to say, its pretty crazy that we've managed to stay .500 and actually continue to win games without Tanguay the last 2 months, and now we wont have PAP either.

When(If) this team can come back from the Olympic break fully healthy, we should be in a real good position to make a good run for the playoffs. .500 hockey from here to the break would set us up well IMO.

yeah but avs march schedule is... kind of tough. i wouldn't feel comfortable going in there without fairly significant gap.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I'm not sure MacKinnon is ready yet defensively to go back to center unless he has 2 solid defensive forwards with him. I do like the idea of trying (again IIRC) a Landy-Staz-MacK line though.

McGinn had a good game.
Cliche and Talbot were very solid on the PK.
McLeod almost looked like the old McLeod
Hejda-EJ are struggling defensively lately, but I do think the forwards are starting to rely on them too much and are cheating out of the zone early rather than helping get control of the puck.

An ugly 2 points is still 2 points, and the Avs have been on the wrong side of that equation too often, so I'll take it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
yeah but avs march schedule is... kind of tough. i wouldn't feel comfortable going in there without fairly significant gap.

Yea it is a little on the tough side, but with PAP and Tangs back in the lineup this team is a lot better then it is right now. And even right now were playing .500 hockey and getting points against some solid teams in LAK and SJS.

This home stand keeps looking bigger and bigger for the team. We need to maximize our points during this stretch.

3/4 points is a good start. Need to win our next 2 or 3 as well.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Haven't had a chance to watch the whole game but I'm pretty jealous of CBJ's group on D. They have a lot of puck moving ability and a lot of big shots.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Haven't had a chance to watch the whole game but I'm pretty jealous of CBJ's group on D. They have a lot of puck moving ability and a lot of big shots.

I'd say they've got a few too many puckmovers. I really like Wisniewski though. A tad overpaid but a great offensive defenseman with a great shot. Good weapon to have on your power play.

Not a big fan of Tyutin though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Missed this game but good to see they got a win.

Seemed like a weird one though from the highlights. Varly looked a little shaky on the goals he gave up, and it seemed like kind of a chippy game. Nate looked like he had it going too and formed some good chemistry with Staz like I thought he would. He needs a pure playmaker on his line to find him through the traffic.

Did Malone have a good game? Looked like he was flying around hitting everyone in sight on that goal against that should never have counted, because Hejda got completely knocked down by a cross check from behind leaving two Columbus players wide open to screen Varly. Not sure why they never call those.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Malone played well, he drew the penalty for one of our PP goals and was physical all game. Not much else you can do when you're playing with Bordy and Cliche.

So next game will be against Philly, where comcast will blackout my ability to watch the game and I won't have it on a local channel because comcast won't license its channels to Directv. Sigh.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

.500 isn't that crazy, it's only Tanguay. Yes it messes up the line, but i'd be concerned if we weren't at least .500 when our core has basically been healthy the entire time.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Malone played well. Physical and good along the boards. Bordeleau flubbed a simple pass along the boards that led to the scramble and the second Blue Jackets goal. I don't think he should be a regular but Roy obviously disagrees. Maybe if the team is fully healthy, Cliche would play over him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
.500 isn't that crazy, it's only Tanguay. Yes it messes up the line, but i'd be concerned if we weren't at least .500 when our core has basically been healthy the entire time.

I dunno. Tangs was a pretty big reason behind the teams success early on. Not only he himself playing really great hockey, but the fact that with him in the lineup we were able to run 3 effective scoring lines.

Ever since he went down, we've only been able to run 2 scoring lines. The biggest reason we were succesuful in the early stages was because on any given night other teams were struggling to shut down all 3 lines. They could stop 1 or even 2 of them sure, but then that 3rd scoring line(whichever line it be) would take advantage.

And we weren't entirely healthy that whole time. Duchene missed a few games, and was clearly playing hurt for at least 5 or 6 games besides the 4 that he missed. We also lost Stastny for a game or 2, and McGinn was out for a game or 2 as well.

Regardless, the run between now and Olympics will make or break the Avs season. Were 2 Top 6 guys short offensively, and were in the midst of a long home stand. How we play over the next month will decide our fate IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad