GDT: Columbus @ Colorado, 12/31/2013, 6:00pm MT

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Mack a point behind the injured Turtle for 1st in rookie scoring :nod:

It's weird...I kind of feel like going over to the Panthers board and saying that I really liked Barkov at the draft but I'm happy that we ended up taking MacKinnon. :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Barkov is starting to come on, 4 game point streak and 9 points in his last 10 games.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Left the channel on Altitude while doing random computer things... watching the replay and as much as I have been an advocate of keeping Bordy in uniform every game I think I am changing my tune.

Bordy should be scratched when our team is healthy unless we are going into a heated game of some sort. Malone can do everything Bordy can do and provides better defense and skill.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Left the channel on Altitude while doing random computer things... watching the replay and as much as I have been an advocate of keeping Bordy in uniform every game I think I am changing my tune.

Bordy should be scratched when our team is healthy unless we are going into a heated game of some sort. Malone can do everything Bordy can do and provides better defense and skill.

Atleast until the next Jets game so Bordy can give Buff a piece of his mind, and or fist.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
“@smitchcd: #CBJ Nick Foligno not pleased with late tripping call. Said Stastny "embellished for sure."”

“@smitchcd: More Foligno: "Who knows what would have happened with 1:30 left? I was disappointed in the refereeing. I hate saying that b/c... (cont)...”

“@smitchcd: "...I know they have a job to do and it’s not easy but they missed some calls. I just thought that was...”

“@smitchcd: "...a pretty cheesy one to call at the end of the game."”
Foligno post game. Stolen from the CBJ board.

Looked like a trip to me.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Foligno post game. Stolen from the CBJ board.

Looked like a trip to me.

Judging from the comments, both here and on Twitter, it seems like the Blue Jackets were given some VERY generous calls, and also had some very obvious stuff go un-called and he's "disappointed in the refereeing"?....

Sounds like Foligno needs to get a tissue to wipe his tears and focus on his next game.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Judging from the comments, both here and on Twitter, it seems like the Blue Jackets were given some VERY generous calls, and also had some very obvious stuff go un-called and he's "disappointed in the refereeing"?....

Sounds like Foligno needs to get a tissue to wipe his tears and focus on his next game.

Agreed, no matter how you shake it he turned around pretty quickly swinging his stick at a players feet. What did he expect to happen? It was a lazy play no matter how you shake it.

I hate divers as much as the next guy, but it's something I think we very rarely see the Avs do. But maybe if he did, well, fooled me and well executed. Somewhat locked in the win.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
It looked like a blatant trip to me.

Nice to see McGinn get on the board, with one he put directly into the net himself. Hope that gets him going.

I hate to say it, but is it a coincidence that the PP took off with PAP out? MacKinnon was handling the puck more than he was on the Duchene/O'Reilly combo on the PP, and that's a good thing.

Overall though, the Avs played like crap. Real sloppy game from them, but goaltending was the difference.

I would like to steal Nikitin from Columbus though. They have a good blueline, and had no issues breaking the puck out all night. Ryan Murray looks like a good one.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

Many of the penalties were a bit soft both ways. I don't think either team was at a disadvantage. I don't think the Foligno one was among the more puzzling calls today.

It's been that way for the last five games or so. Lots of strange penalties on Avs and their opponents.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Glad they pulled out the win, much needed. Some positives here like Malone bringing the hits, McLeod looking much more effective, the PP clicking. Barrie doing well too, is he consistently taking both PP shifts? If so, will be very difficult to take him out of the lineup. Never thought I'd see the day Guenin was scratched two nights in a row. Also, to those who say Varly isn't playing elite anymore, he hasn't lost in regulation in 8 games now.

Duchene probably got the first star when he was chosen prior to MacKinnon's PP goal, or else it should have been him. Tonight was a night you just give the stars to the home team. Columbus played hard but not one person was that outstanding. (edit) Dater chose the stars, that explains it.

Glad to see MacKinnon get the goal and assist. He's been great on the PP. When he can start scoring more ES and especially on the rush he'll be deadly. He must be close to the lead in team PP points and I'm pretty sure he leads the team in PP shots.

I hope Roy doesn't keep the insane line combos for Philly. Some pairs need to stay together for any sort of ES chemistry or else they will go back to scoring one goal per game. I'm open minded to a few changes but some of those were downright crazy.

I swear some people are rooting for the team to lose just so they can be right.

Last edited:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Favorite new lines?
For myself I liked Ror and duchy with McG
Glad to see Mcloud hitting too....
I've never liked big lower skilled players so Bordy is not my guy to keep playing.
And
Is the consensus folks here feel Malone played well enough to stay?

member 116861

I loved that shift from Malone. It didn't end well but it was awesome to see from Malone.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Favorite new lines?
For myself I liked Ror and duchy with McG
Glad to see Mcloud hitting too....
I've never liked big lower skilled players so Bordy is not my guy to keep playing.
And
Is the consensus folks here feel Malone played well enough to stay?
He was okay. When one of the injured forwards come back he'll be out again if he doesn't somehow improve in a big way. Although he wasn't nearly as bad as in the first games he played in this season I'm still very disappointed and don't think he'll be an Av after the summer.

I didn't see a replay of the trip, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stostny did dive there.
I watched it again and it wasn't a dive at all. Absolute blatant trip.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
varly was great again. pp looked great. landy with bounce back game. i think he's been good overall this season but his inconsistency is little irritating. wilson was like always coming back from injury. he will probably look start to look good before he goes to IR again.

Maybe you could ask them if Brakov is worthwhile when he's not scoring :sarcasm:

he most definitely is. so far this season, he would be more deserving of calder imo. nate might score more but barkov is the better player atm.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Maybe you could ask them if Brakov is worthwhile when he's not scoring :sarcasm:

Yeah it was an obvious stab at the guy who came in to post crap about Barkov in our GDT against Winnipeg because he put up 2 points in a game. :shakehead

Barkov is fine, he's a good young player with a solid 2-way game but I don't see him becoming the 'franchise' player everyone thinks he's going to become. Let me know when he takes over a game, I can't wait to see it happen. I've seen him play 20-25 times and I'm still waiting.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Most positive fact about last night's game is the PP finally clicking. I mean we've scored some goals on the PP recently but yesterday I finally saw some nice passing plays. I can barely remember winning games because of our PP but that's what happened this time :)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
he most definitely is. so far this season, he would be more deserving of calder imo. nate might score more but barkov is the better player atm.

Oh I'm sure Barkov is great. You must have missed the part where a Panthers fan came here the other day and asked if Nate was worth having in the lineup if he wasn't scoring.....on a night he scored. I was trying to be funny and it wasn't....sorry.

Malone has done fine with the limited minutes he's been given. He's the 13th forward. I have my doubts that Tang comes back and stays in the lineup the rest of the season or there won't be an injury before PA gets back so I think more or less Malone is here to stay. Maybe not if they have to bring someone up for the top 6 but only then. Looks like no call ups so that makes Holden the emergency forward. That scares me a bit but hopefully Tanguay isn't far away.

In Roy's presser it sounded like he might keep his insane line combos, he said he likes Talbot with Duchene. I don't mind 92-90-29 but if he's going to do that put Nate at center and give ROR the Dzone draws.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Oh I'm sure Barkov is great. You must have missed the part where a Panthers fan came here the other day and asked if Nate was worth having in the lineup if he wasn't scoring.....on a night he scored. I was trying to be funny and it wasn't....sorry.

no need to apologize :).

i did miss that and just looked up the post. and checked poster's post history.. made your jab accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad