GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Detroit Red Wings | 10/4/2018 7:30PM ET| FSD MOD NOTE POST #750

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Then stop criticizing him every time he touches the ice. He is 23 years old. He will get better as a player and is clearly already one of the best on the team.... Larkin makes double AA's salary why are you comparing them?

Well, if he's going to get better, there should be some evidence of it. Guys don't necessarily have to improve with age. Just because a guy is young does not mean that he is destined to improve. AA is at game 173 now. He's not a rookie.

And "clearly already one of the best"? He had as many points last year as Frans Nielsen. He, Justin Abdelkader, Nielsen, and Darren Helm were +/- 4 points. None of those players is anywhere near "best on the team". Hell, basically all of those players are "please kill them with fire because they're garbage".

Have a little bit of a higher standard for "best on the team" than an all-offense W/C who has never been over 0.5 PPG, gotten over 40 points in a full season. You can think I hate him, but he's just a better hockey player than he has shown through 173 games. That's why I complain about him. It's not that I think he's bad. I think he's really good.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Then stop criticizing him every time he touches the ice. He is 23 years old. He will get better as a player and is clearly already one of the best on the team.... Larkin makes double AA's salary why are you comparing them?

AA is 72, I think you've been watching 71 and not reading the name on the jersey.

Reactions: TheMule93

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Last year they look like they don't care. This year will be different.
You can't evaluate talent unless they try.

I think we are going to see some exciting games, but I would bet we have less one-goal losses than last year....and our point total will be less as well.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yes, yes he is.

You even deflect corrections.
Ok. Is Sulak a finished product like AA is even though he is older?

Well, if he's going to get better, there should be some evidence of it. Guys don't necessarily have to improve with age. Just because a guy is young does not mean that he is destined to improve. AA is at game 173 now. He's not a rookie.

And "clearly already one of the best"? He had as many points last year as Frans Nielsen. He, Justin Abdelkader, Nielsen, and Darren Helm were +/- 4 points. None of those players is anywhere near "best on the team". Hell, basically all of those players are "please kill them with fire because they're garbage".

Have a little bit of a higher standard for "best on the team" than an all-offense W/C who has never been over 0.5 PPG, gotten over 40 points in a full season. You can think I hate him, but he's just a better hockey player than he has shown through 173 games. That's why I complain about him. It's not that I think he's bad. I think he's really good.
He has played one game in 2018-19 how do you know he didn't get better? 173 games is nothing that's 2 season's. His best hockey is years ahead. He doesn't have to win the Selke to prove he got better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He has played one game in 2018-19 how do you know he didn't get better? 173 games is nothing that's 2 season's. His best hockey is years ahead. He doesn't have to win the Selke to prove he got better.

How about he provides results that are tracking as anything but maintaining where he was at results wise while he is given more minutes? The biggest rallying cry in his rookie and +1 year was that his p/60 was so fantastic that if he just got more minutes, he’d be awesome. Then he got more minutes and his stats didn’t really improve much, if at all.

He doesn’t have to win the Selke, but he does have to be better than a massive defensive liability and while it is unfair to write off his whole 18-19 before it starts, he has to prove that it is different this time around.

Again, you could say that Nail Yakupov’s best hockey should have been ahead of him after his rookie year and he regressed. There is nothing set in stone that says a young player is guaranteed to continue to get better. AA could very well just be this player (a 0.5 ppg wing who plays up the middle as a center who will always leave you wanting more).

But to end, AA has to prove he got better. He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt after two years of okay results. His deal at 3M is a “show me” deal. So the impetus is on AA to show it is different rather than just assuming that it is.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the more I read people talk about AA and their expectations of him the more I feel like the whole effort thing is overblown

he could stand to put a bit more effort in defensively and such sure but honestly? the inconsistency people always complain about in him where sometimes he shows flashes of looking really good but most of the time he doesn't? that's just what a player like him with the strengths he has and his lack of hockey iq will look like

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
How about he provides results that are tracking as anything but maintaining where he was at results wise while he is given more minutes? The biggest rallying cry in his rookie and +1 year was that his p/60 was so fantastic that if he just got more minutes, he’d be awesome. Then he got more minutes and his stats didn’t really improve much, if at all.

He doesn’t have to win the Selke, but he does have to be better than a massive defensive liability and while it is unfair to write off his whole 18-19 before it starts, he has to prove that it is different this time around.

Again, you could say that Nail Yakupov’s best hockey should have been ahead of him after his rookie year and he regressed. There is nothing set in stone that says a young player is guaranteed to continue to get better. AA could very well just be this player (a 0.5 ppg wing who plays up the middle as a center who will always leave you wanting more).

But to end, AA has to prove he got better. He doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt after two years of okay results. His deal at 3M is a “show me” deal. So the impetus is on AA to show it is different rather than just assuming that it is.
How can he "show you" after 14 mins of hockey? His contract wasn't for one game was is? Tell me he didn't improve at the end of the season not after one game.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
the more I read people talk about AA and their expectations of him the more I feel like the whole effort thing is overblown

he could stand to put a bit more effort in defensively and such sure but honestly? the inconsistency people always complain about in him where sometimes he shows flashes of looking really good but most of the time he doesn't? that's just what a player like him with the strengths he has and his lack of hockey iq will look like
If AA's critical standards were for the rest of the team maybe a lot of the other players wouldn't even be on the roster. Gator takes dumb penalties and had 1 20g season playing next to freaking Datsyuk and he got a career deal. Yet he is exempt from healthy scratches and public comments. HSJ had an entire smear campaign on AA last year just like she did with Mrazek. People need to read between the lines.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
If AA's critical standards were for the rest of the team maybe a lot of the other players wouldn't even be on the roster. Gator takes dumb penalties and had 1 20g season playing next to freaking Datsyuk and he got a career deal. Yet he is exempt from healthy scratches and public comments. HSJ had an entire smear campaign on AA last year just like she did with Mrazek. People need to read between the lines.

Strawmen.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

You still aren’t getting it. Gator is 50 talent and 100 effort. AA is 100 talent and 50 effort. When Gator starts to show a lack of effort you bet your ass he will be stapled to the bench.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You still aren’t getting it. Gator is 50 talent and 100 effort. AA is 100 talent and 50 effort. When Gator starts to show a lack of effort you bet your ass he will be stapled to the bench.
How is effort measured? Where are you getting these numbers? Are they facts or opinions?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
How is effort measured? Where are you getting these numbers? Are they facts or opinions?

Just watch who doesn't try. Doesn't cover lanes, doesn't try and get open. Doesn't forecheck or backcheck.... It's called having eyes! You should get yourself a pair and watch the actual game as opose to highlights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad