Proposal: Columbus 1st round pick + for a 1C

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm glad you still have hope. But realistically the BJs are as good as the Wings. I'm a Wings fan but that's not a good thing.
You drop mcdavid on anyone with a half decent core and they would do well.

Columbus has core pieces at each position.

Goaltending? ✓
Defense? ✓
Forward? ✓

Given time to build around Mcdavid I have no doubt that team would contend within a few seasons.

Reactions: majormajor

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I’m one CBJ fan on the rebuild wagon. I think it will happen regardless of how much Jarmo tries to put bandaids on broken bones.

Just hope he keeps his high picks and drafts well.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
You need better reading comprehension. They’ve made the playoffs four years in a ROW not AGO.

They lost both goalies at different points of the year to an injury. They lost their best center early in the season. They had a sudden retirement. Max Domi was bad. It was literally a downhill rolling season. Are they good? Clearly not, at least right now, on paper. Are they going to make the playoffs next year? In the ridiculously hard eastern conference and metro division, probably not. But you make it seem like this is what we’ve come to expect from the jackets when only like 5-6 teams have won more regular season games than them in the past 5 years.

Not one single player is going to make the difference. There is no Panarin or Tavares in free agency this year. But let’s just say for devils advocates sake that the jackets pull of an Eichel trade and he’s healthy. A top six of Nyquist, Eichel, Laine, Roslovic, Bjorkstrand, and Domi/Atkinson is pretty solid.

Give the jackets a top six center, not even a top liner like Eichel just a top six guy, and they’re an immensely improved team and on the playoff bubble. They need to handle this summer well to get it there of course but this team isn’t as bad as it finished.
You said they made the playoffs 4 years in a row, that is YOU putting weigh into what happened over that span not me. If it doesn't matter to you why bring it up? Maybe calm down and think it through before you post.

Even you say they are bad "on paper" which in reality means objectively terrible but I'm the bad guy for saying it? Get a grip bud.

But sure, dream of giving up nothing to get Eichel or some other magic fix.

"Closer to the top" then " a bubble team" now it's "probably not". Keep back tracking. After 3 posts you have just about 100% agreed with me. At this point it's close enough.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You said they made the playoffs 4 years in a row, that is YOU putting weigh into what happened over that span not me. If it doesn't matter to you why bring it up? Maybe calm down and think it through before you post.

Even you say they are bad "on paper" which in reality means objectively terrible but I'm the bad guy for saying it? Get a grip bud.

But sure, dream of giving up nothing to get Eichel or some other magic fix.

"Closer to the top" then " a bubble team" now it's "probably not". Keep back tracking. After 3 posts you have just about 100% agreed with me. At this point it's close enough.

Completely calm here “bud”. Just pointing out your overly pessimistic view of the jackets is just that, overly pessimistic.

Closer to the top than the bottom was a bit of an overstatement, yeah. I don’t think they’re anywhere close to the bottom but they’re also not close to a cup winner. I don’t think they’re that far off though. You’re making it seem like the cupboards bare. It’s not. They have some solid depth pieces and a great top pair. You can easily build with that and turn it around pretty fast.

I do put stock into the four years in a row thing because the teams core is still largely the same. You’re undervaluing Bjorkstrand, Jones, Werenski as a core.

Other than the Kings, Rangers, and maybe the Ducks. The jackets are in best position to make an offer for Eichel. And that’s only if the Rangers are suddenly interested in giving up Lafreniere, the Kings giving up on Byfield, and the ducks giving up on drysdale/zegras. If these teams aren’t interested in that, the jackets can compete in offers for him. Easily

Of course they’re bad right now. They lost like 4 important pieces. But Foligno might return. They might get internal growth from going guys. And they have salary cap space to play with even if they’re able to sign Jones and werenski. The jackets are going to be an improved team, immensely so, next season. (If they sign jones. If not they’re going to rebuild)

You’re not a jackets fan so you don’t know me, but I’m seen as a more pessimistic fan on our boards. And even I see the positives on it. So take with that what you will.

Reactions: Viqsi

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I’m one CBJ fan on the rebuild wagon. I think it will happen regardless of how much Jarmo tries to put bandaids on broken bones.

Just hope he keeps his high picks and drafts well.
This is all I'm saying. Jarmo went balls out a couple years ago and I respect the hell out of him for that. But there was a cost to it and the BJs are paying it now. Unfortunately it's a tough market to land big name FAs so they need to build from within. I don't think spending picks and prospects to prop up this group will lead to sustained success. They will just make the rebuild harder for longer.

I don't think they need to full on tank. They should get one really good 1st rounder this year plus a couple late 1sts that could be a great start to a quick rebuild on the fly.

Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Um... what? What makes you say that? They don't have a C to send back and their prospect pool is below average.

Top 5 pick (potentially) + Korpisalo + Texier + prospects of their pick is enough to compete against a Kakko/Turcotte offer.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Top 5 pick (potentially) + Korpisalo + Texier + prospects of their pick is enough to compete against a Kakko/Turcotte offer.
I guess you think there's a lot more value in a 27 year old goalie with a 3.30 gaa and a sub 900 sv% and a F prospect who didn't score for the last 3 months of the year than I do.

Don't you think OTT could easily beat that offer? NJ?
And there will be 4 other teams that have top 5 picks this year, and others who had 1 last year. Could CBJ compete with Caufield + Kotkaniemi+ whatever else that MTL could put together if they were so inclined?

I'll stick by what I said: CBJ doesn't have a C to send back and have an average to below avg prospect pool. There are about 10 other teams that I'd easily have ahead of them if push came to shove.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I guess you think there's a lot more value in a 27 year old goalie with a 3.30 gaa and a sub 900 sv% and a F prospect who didn't score for the last 3 months of the year than I do.

Stopped reading here. Not worth discussing if you don’t know what you’re talking about. Texier had a bad year but he’s nowhere near an F prospect. And Korpi had a bad stretch to end the season and it tanked his stats. He’s not better than Elvis but he’s a starter. But I’m done now.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Don't you think OTT could easily beat that offer? NJ?
And there will be 4 other teams that have top 5 picks this year, and others who had 1 last year. Could CBJ compete with Caufield + Kotkaniemi+ whatever else that MTL could put together if they were so inclined?

I'll stick by what I said: CBJ doesn't have a C to send back and have an average to below avg prospect pool. There are about 10 other teams that I'd easily have ahead of them if push came to shove.

That's what I like to see on HFBoards, someone floats a package and the response is to dunk on the 3rd and 4th pieces in it. Nevermind that a 5th OA by itself is going to be worth just as much as Turcotte or Kakko to a lot of clubs.

No doubt that NYR, LA, and Anaheim could offer higher value pieces than Turcotte and Kakko and blow CBJ out of the bidding, but they actually have to desperately want Eichel to do that. And I don't think they want him enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Obviously Eichel will be out of reach if they are getting Byfield++ offers for him, as Sabres fans seem to think.
He's back in reach, there's no way the Kings trade Byfield++ for him. That would be counter to everything they've been doing for the past 3-4 years. And, this past season has shown that the Kings aren't near ready to be making big trades.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's back in reach, there's no way the Kings trade Byfield++ for him. That would be counter to everything they've been doing for the past 3-4 years. And, this past season has shown that the Kings aren't near ready to be making big trades.

No you have it wrong. @Dr Quincy and the rest of the board have discovered that the Kings or similar rebuilding squad will get Eichel because they have the best prospects. The fact that the Kings, Ducks, and Rangers are relatively uninterested in Eichel is irrelevant.

:sarcasm: :popcorn:

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
No you have it wrong. @Dr Quincy and the rest of the board have discovered that the Kings or similar rebuilding squad will get Eichel because they have the best prospects. The fact that the Kings, Ducks, and Rangers are relatively uninterested in Eichel is irrelevant.

The Kings and the Rangers have already inquired about Eichel.

Their fans may not be as interested but that is irrelevant. I accept that what the Sabres fans want is irrelevant, too.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006

Nope, I think you're the one who has it wrong. Just because the Kings have the ability to make the trade, does not in any way mean they are going to do it. It would be absolutely insane for the Kings to trade the top of their rebuild for one player. The Kings are not a Jack Eichel from even making the play offs, let alone making any noise. The best solution would be a team that is on the cusp of the playoffs, like the Rangers. The Kings and Ducks are mired in the rebuild at this point and any trade of this magnitude would serve to place them at least two years back.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

@majormajor apparently knows the inner workings of several NHL teams.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Stopped reading here. Not worth discussing if you don’t know what you’re talking about. Texier had a bad year but he’s nowhere near an F prospect. And Korpi had a bad stretch to end the season and it tanked his stats. He’s not better than Elvis but he’s a starter. But I’m done now.
F as in he's a Forward.

I like Texier. He's a good but not great prospect who had a disappointing year.

Korpi isn't a starter in the NHL at this point.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Kings and the Rangers have already inquired about Eichel.

Their fans may not be as interested but that is irrelevant. I accept that what the Sabres fans want is irrelevant, too.

Of course you inquire, but it makes no sense for Blake to go all-in on Eichel when he has other paths to contention. He's not in win-now mode.

Maybe Dolan will push the agenda in New York, or perhaps Foley will get impatient again in Vegas. Or Minnesota or Columbus who don't have a better center option. But the rebuilding clubs in general aren't in enough of a hurry.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nope, I think you're the one who has it wrong. Just because the Kings have the ability to make the trade, does not in any way mean they are going to do it. It would be absolutely insane for the Kings to trade the top of their rebuild for one player. The Kings are not a Jack Eichel from even making the play offs, let alone making any noise. The best solution would be a team that is on the cusp of the playoffs, like the Rangers. The Kings and Ducks are mired in the rebuild at this point and any trade of this magnitude would serve to place them at least two years back.

That is correct (we are agreeing).

Except I do think the Kings could make the playoffs next year. But that has more to do with how weak the Pacific is after Edmonton and Vegas. Obviously the Kings won't be good in any substantive sense until their prospect core matures.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Of course you inquire, but it makes no sense for Blake to go all-in on Eichel when he has other paths to contention. He's not in win-now mode.

Maybe Dolan will push the agenda in New York, or perhaps Foley will get impatient again in Vegas. Or Minnesota or Columbus who don't have a better center option. But the rebuilding clubs in general aren't in enough of a hurry.

True, and the teams you listed in your second paragraph are more likely to be interested than LA or Anaheim.

I'd be potentially interested in deals involving Rossi or Krebs.

Reactions: majormajor

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
First off that package does not land you Eichel in my mind, it's far too light in assets that help the Sabres. Secondly the top 5 pick is a bit of a red herring because the lottery odds would have them picking 6th most likely so for the most valuable piece of the trade to be a suggestion of a top 5 pick isn't really accurate. Thirdly, this years draft is being considered a weak class so to compare the unknow pick to players that have improved their stock since being drafted (Turcotte had a very good WJC and produced very well for a player in their first year of the AHL) seems like there are a lot of assumptions.

As for the other pieces (not the pick), Texier will more than likely be a 2nd line W in the NHL, not a worthless piece, but not enough to get the Sabres excited, Korpisalo is a sub-par NHL starter in his last season before free agency - so again not really a piece that would entice the Sabres to move Eichel. The rest of the proposal is difficult to address since it's just +prospects....sorta vague.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I was wondering if this could be a possibility? Which 1C or borderline 1C could be available for the following package:

Columbus is very likely to select top 5 this year, but I feel it’s unlikely Beniers will be available unless we win the lottery, so I wouldn’t completely rule out that the pick can’t be traded along with prospects or some roster players.

A top line center is the biggest goal this off season to try to revive Laine and I feel Jarmo can trade any pick we have this draft

Elite centers will require so much more than the 5/6 pick that the + actually becomes more prohibitive for CBJ. The kind of players available for that pick with only a one-good-piece add will all have issues that will make Columbus balk.

I think the value is “in between” for top pick plus.

Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad