Proposal: Columbus 1st round pick + for a 1C

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah it's a more mature college town...its not NYC, LA, Vegas, Miami (no actual team)...if you haven't been, then I will say you're a troll...I lived there...would again, but was offered a job in my field elsewhere...
Been many times. Have in laws who live there. It’s fine. But it’s way down on the list of places I’d like to live and I’m not even a rich 20 something year old.

this isn’t the first time you and I have had this conversation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Too late to acquire Hall before the lottery.

Good, somewhat realistic options: Kuznetsov, Reinhart.

Consolation prize: Monahan.

Bargain bin: Dylan Strome

Out of left field holy shit move: Kopitar.

Kings won't trade Kopitar. Strome and Monahan aren't an upgrade on Domi and Roslovic. Kuzy is toxic. Reinhart, maybe if we can get a 2C price on him. A good chunk of his scoring was just a hot streak, 12 goals on his last 51 shots.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Been many times. Have in laws who live there. It’s fine. But it’s way down on the list of places I’d like to live and I’m not even a rich 20 something year old.

this isn’t the first time you and I have had this conversation.
I don't remember..so excuse me on that...but I'd guess many have not...bt Dublin, short north, easton, and the university district...theres enough to keep one busy as a secondary market...the majority of posters here have limited idea of what is there

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A lot.

Start with your 1st + a top prospect and we go from there.

If the prices we've been getting from various fanbases are in the realm of reality (unlikely), then it seems J.T. Miller is the guy Columbus should pick up. Hertl only has one year left and costs 3x as much as a guy with similar production.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I don't remember..so excuse me on that...but I'd guess many have not...bt Dublin, short north, easton, and the university district...theres enough to keep one busy as a secondary market...the majority of posters here have limited idea of what is there
And every time you over sell Columbus as a place to live. You said it yourself. It’s a mature college town. When the biggest thing going on during the weekend in the fall is the OSU football game, that’s not going to cut it for young NHL players. It’s not that complicated. That may be enough for you, but for the vast majority of America, it isn’t.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If the prices we've been getting from various fanbases are in the realm of reality (unlikely), then it seems J.T. Miller is the guy Columbus should pick up. Hertl only has one year left and costs 3x as much as a guy with similar production.
Hertl doesn't cost 3x what Miller does...? Isn't the ask for Miller very similar? I'd be upset to trade Hertl, but it might be the right time.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
CBJ should keep their picks and rebuild. It's time. Even if they got a "1C" that team would still be in an uphill battle to make the playoffs next season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I have no pull to move to a place like Columbus, but there's also nothing repelling about it either. It's well within range of the "different strokes for different folks".

Some people like Florida. Some people like me have a harder time being around traffic jams and red tide. I need a forest and a hockey rink. The point is who cares. Columbus isn't noteworthy as a marquee destination or as a hard place to be.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And every time you over sell Columbus as a place to live. You said it yourself. It’s a mature college town. When the biggest thing going on during the weekend in the fall is the OSU football game, that’s not going to cut it for young NHL players. It’s not that complicated. That may be enough for you, but for the vast majority of America, it isn’t.

Lol, the vast majority of America isn't doing anything more exciting than watching football on the weekend. I know that's not your main point here, that sentence just cracked me up.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
CBJ should keep their picks and rebuild. It's time. Even if they got a "1C" that team would still be in an uphill battle to make the playoffs next season.

I'd say it depends on the price.

Let's see

Wingers
Bjorkstrand
Atkinson
Laine
Nyquist
Texier
Jenner
Etc....

Check.

D-men
Jones
Werenski
Gavrikov
Some set of MDZ, Kukan, Lehtonen, other UFAs

Check.

Goalie
Elvis

Check

They have everything else. If they can get a #1C to push Domi and Roslovic down into easier roles then there's nothing missing personnel-wise. The Metro will still be a blood bath but with some good coaching they'll be in the thick of it again.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Lol, the vast majority of America isn't doing anything more exciting than watching football on the weekend. I know that's not your main point here, that sentence just cracked me up.
The majority of the country is watching the NFL. I love CFB more than most but there is a reason the NFL is king. But again. My overall point is that a city where CFB is king will not appeal to most NHL players. It’s a bottom 10 destination city in the NHL

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hertl doesn't cost 3x what Miller does...? Isn't the ask for Miller very similar? I'd be upset to trade Hertl, but it might be the right time.

The ask for Miller was Chinakhov+late 1st+2nd.

Your ask was for the CBJ 1st (~5OA)+top prospect.

Which on first glance was about triple the cost.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I'd say it depends on the price.

Let's see

Wingers
Bjorkstrand
Atkinson
Laine
Nyquist
Texier
Jenner
Etc....

Check.

D-men
Jones
Werenski
Gavrikov
Some set of MDZ, Kukan, Lehtonen, other UFAs

Check.

Goalie
Elvis

Check

They have everything else. If they can get a #1C to push Domi and Roslovic down into easier roles then there's nothing missing personnel-wise. The Metro will still be a blood bath but with some good coaching they'll be in the thick of it again.
The defense is nice, but everything else is not making that a playoff team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The defense is nice, but everything else is not making that a playoff team.

I disagree. Elvis is an outstanding goalie. He might even be a superstar in the years to come.

The wingers are hard to predict because so many just had their worst season. But Bjorkstrand is capable of scoring 40 goals, heck Atkinson and Laine have scored 40 goals. I really want to know what they could do with a proper 1C and a coach that unshackles them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The majority of the country is watching the NFL. I love CFB more than most but there is a reason the NFL is king. But again. My overall point is that a city where that a city where CFB is king will not appeal to most NHL players. It’s a bottom 10 destination city in the NHL

...on tv.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The ask for Miller was Chinakhov+late 1st+2nd.

Your ask was for the CBJ 1st (~5OA)+top prospect.

Which on first glance was about triple the cost.
My bad. Didn't realize your pick was that high. I thought it was a 10-15 kind of range.

I'd still want your 1st+ for Hertl, but wouldn't ask for a blue chip prospect as well.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I've seen a lot of this lately - is there a reason why Columbus is being singled out as being a place no one wants to play? I don't understand it. I get the Torts effect on some players but I've been to Columbus and it's amazing. I don't get the hate.
Additionally, this is Tortorella's last season in Jackets. So that isn't a factor either.

I guess it has just become a meme some people keep repeating. When you look more closely at the situations around the players who recently left the club, you don't really get the impression that there's something fundamentally awry with the city or the franchise. Stuff happens, as they say.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I was wondering if this could be a possibility? Which 1C or borderline 1C could be available for the following package:

Columbus is very likely to select top 5 this year, but I feel it’s unlikely Beniers will be available unless we win the lottery, so I wouldn’t completely rule out that the pick can’t be traded along with prospects or some roster players.

A top line center is the biggest goal this off season to try to revive Laine and I feel Jarmo can trade any pick we have this draft
I think the the "+" would be the center piece of any deal with the 1st partner of that package.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It is hard to get a legitimate 1C. Obviously every team wants a good 1C and they don't want to trade them. Even when they have two they still keep them like the Pens with Crosby and Malkin. Good luck trying to find one. Sometimes you can if a Center is unhappy and forces a trade but it won't be easy to get one.

But right now there's talk around Eichel, Reinhart (who arguably has 1C potential), Monahan, and less seriously around Barkov. What you say isn't wrong but sometimes these situations do come up.

You guys had one and traded it away. I said right from the start that it was a bad trade for the Bluejackets. I knew it wasn't a good fit. If you had another center that could play on the top line then it was good value. It is never a good idea to trade your only legit top line center even if the players coming back are equal or better value.

Now this looks like a classic case of "TL;DR"... Long story short: Dubious wanted to leave. He still hasn't said why that was. He was a force in their playoffs run. It wasn't a trade Jackets wanted to make.

Same thing for number 1 defensman. If you have a legit number 1 you are not trading them.

But CBJ has two, S. Jones and Werenski. The fans seem to consider the latter expendable in a trade for 1C.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
OS Pettersson
Not gonna happen. Vancouver will match any OS and honestly think he gets signed before that is even an option. Plus Petey has no incentive to leave Vancouver to go to a weaker team that is no further ahead.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Fantastic troll reply...go see how many players said they enjoyed columbus...its a great city...if you've never visited...thats on you...
I'm sure it's a great city, But it is nowhere near as appealing as Vancouver. Plus Petey is extremely close to the young core here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->