Proposal: Columbus 1st round pick + for a 1C

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I feel like there could be quite a few top 6 C's made available this off season. For teams like the Blue Jackets and the Wild it might be easier to find those pieces than normal.

Top 6 C potentially available in a trade:
Ryan Strome: Still inexpensive and producing - Rags might want to keep him until one of the young guys proves a little more
Dylan Strome: Maybe losing his top 6 luster, but a team with wingers and a spot open on their top 6 C this could be a buy low option.
JT Miller: Has shown that he can play top line C with Pettersson out this season, good on the draw
Eichel: rumors have it he wants out - expensive but the best pure C potentially available
Reinhart: Hinted he might want out - played primarily wing in the NHL but had a decent year at C this season and played only C in junior
Monahan: Calgary will make some changes, unfortunately for CBJ or Wild they probably need a C back
Kuznetsov: Capitals have expressed some frustration with him, rumored he might be available
Duchene/Johansen: Sort of been there done that for the Jackets and at their cap hits there may not be much interest
Couture: The Sharks would be wise to move on from some of their long term contracts. This is one that might get a return from a C needy team
Hertl: If the Sharks are going re-build, re-tool, re-set, re-what-ever he may be an option, but given his age and contract I imagine the return would be high
Valardi/Turcotte: This is just my opinion - given their young C depth the Kings may consider moving one of their future stud C's for the right return. Unlikely, but there is potential.

Free Agent C's:
RNH: I see him returning to the Oilers, but he is the best "free" C option out there this year IMHO
Krejci: At 35/36 might be getting too old to shoulder a #1 C role but he had a pretty good year this season so he will have some interest from around the league. His age prevent him from being a teams long term solution
Danault: More of a #3C or a #2Cb (play on the 1A/1B goalie designations) but has played top 6 C for the past 3 seasons in Montreal. Not the prototypical top 6 C but an option that only costs money not other assets.

I'm sure there are others and of coarse not all of these players will be traded, but it definitely feels like there are options out there this off season.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Based on my research of Chinikov...easy no...a Sakic comp, won't happen
I get that the proposal for Miller is too steep, but a Sakic comp????? I've watched and read as much as I can find on him and all information points to a player that has NHL caliber shot, but lacks the skating and consistency of high end NHLer. I've read Tanner Pearson comps (probably because he was an over-ager when drafted) and I'll give you the shot like Sakic comp - but thats pretty high praise.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I've seen a lot of this lately - is there a reason why Columbus is being singled out as being a place no one wants to play? I don't understand it. I get the Torts effect on some players but I've been to Columbus and it's amazing. I don't get the hate.

Columbus has never been an attractive destination. What does it have to offer that other cities/teams do not? It doesn't have the weather or beaches like Florida or Tampa does. It doesn't have the same glamour as LA or New York. It isn't a destination that players go to win. It doesn't have any history behind the team.

I wouldn't say no one wants to play in Columbus, but there is no reason to choose to play in Columbus over other cities, assuming everything else is equal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Based on my research of Chinikov...easy no...a Sakic comp, won't happen

Lol no. He looks like he has a Sakic wrist shot sometimes. It wasn't a Sakic comp.

Chinakhov reminds me a lot of Bjorkstrand though, I would avoid parting with him if possible.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Columbus has never been an attractive destination. What does it have to offer that other cities/teams do not? It doesn't have the weather or beaches like Florida or Tampa does. It doesn't have the same glamour as LA or New York. It isn't a destination that players go to win. It doesn't have any history behind the team.

I wouldn't say no one wants to play in Columbus, but there is no reason to choose to play in Columbus over other cities, assuming everything else is equal.

I think you're right, and if this was all that was ever said about it there wouldn't be an issue. The issue is that some posters here imagine it as some kind of revolting place when it's really just a pleasant unexciting place, with no real negatives. They don't have a special problem getting players when they're willing to pay.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel like there could be quite a few top 6 C's made available this off season. For teams like the Blue Jackets and the Wild it might be easier to find those pieces than normal.

Top 6 C potentially available in a trade:
Ryan Strome: Still inexpensive and producing - Rags might want to keep him until one of the young guys proves a little more
Dylan Strome: Maybe losing his top 6 luster, but a team with wingers and a spot open on their top 6 C this could be a buy low option.
JT Miller: Has shown that he can play top line C with Pettersson out this season, good on the draw
Eichel: rumors have it he wants out - expensive but the best pure C potentially available
Reinhart: Hinted he might want out - played primarily wing in the NHL but had a decent year at C this season and played only C in junior
Monahan: Calgary will make some changes, unfortunately for CBJ or Wild they probably need a C back
Kuznetsov: Capitals have expressed some frustration with him, rumored he might be available
Duchene/Johansen: Sort of been there done that for the Jackets and at their cap hits there may not be much interest
Couture: The Sharks would be wise to move on from some of their long term contracts. This is one that might get a return from a C needy team
Hertl: If the Sharks are going re-build, re-tool, re-set, re-what-ever he may be an option, but given his age and contract I imagine the return would be high
Valardi/Turcotte: This is just my opinion - given their young C depth the Kings may consider moving one of their future stud C's for the right return. Unlikely, but there is potential.

Free Agent C's:
RNH: I see him returning to the Oilers, but he is the best "free" C option out there this year IMHO
Krejci: At 35/36 might be getting too old to shoulder a #1 C role but he had a pretty good year this season so he will have some interest from around the league. His age prevent him from being a teams long term solution
Danault: More of a #3C or a #2Cb (play on the 1A/1B goalie designations) but has played top 6 C for the past 3 seasons in Montreal. Not the prototypical top 6 C but an option that only costs money not other assets.

I'm sure there are others and of coarse not all of these players will be traded, but it definitely feels like there are options out there this off season.

Agreed that options abound. It's not the worst time to be in need of a center. The Jackets in particular though need someone to take 1C minutes or harder defensive minutes so guys like Roslovic and Domi can be sheltered a bit more.

Neither of the Strome brothers can do that. They're much like slower versions of Domi and Roslovic. Vilardi and Turcotte also need sheltering. Monahan and Duchene do too.

You've also got to subtract Kuznetsov (locker room / effort) Couture (nightmare contract) and Johansen (bit of both).

Given the Jackets needs, centers like Mikael Backlund would be very welcome. He in particular might be getting old and overpaid but that type of tough minutes center would make things much easier.

Last edited:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Agreed that options abound. It's not the worst time to be in need of a center. The Jackets in particular though need someone to take 1C minutes or harder defensive minutes so guys like Roslovic and Domi can be sheltered a bit more.

Neither of the Strome brothers can do that. They're much like slower versions of Domi and Roslovic. Vilardi and Turcotte also need sheltering. Monahan and Duchene do too.

You've also got to subtract Kuznetsov (locker room / effort) Couture (nightmare contract) and Johansen (bit of both).
I'm a Canuck fan so I might be biased (or just plain old nuts) but I could see Miller's style complementing the Blue Jackets. I also am a fan of RNH game - however when he was the Oilers #1C he wasn't as effective so there would be some concern about signing him to #1C money and having him revert back to more of a 2nd line player. His defensive game is elite and vastly underrated on this board but there may not be a lot of extra value if the Jackets don't want their #1C killing penalties.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm a Canuck fan so I might be biased (or just plain old nuts) but I could see Miller's style complementing the Blue Jackets. I also am a fan of RNH game - however when he was the Oilers #1C he wasn't as effective so there would be some concern about signing him to #1C money and having him revert back to more of a 2nd line player. His defensive game is elite and vastly underrated on this board but there may not be a lot of extra value if the Jackets don't want their #1C killing penalties.

Yeah when I think Miller I think hothead, versatile, erratic. Kind of like Dubinsky, who is missed. Miller is Ohioan so that's neat too.

I watch a lot of Oilers and I would never sign RNH with any expectation of him being true 1C caliber. High end PKers aren't in short supply in Columbus, and I'm not sure I'd characterize his 5v5 defensive game as elite. He's smart though and he transitions the puck very well, which is maybe his best selling point. I'm not sure whether I'd be as confident in using him as a hard minutes center as I would be with Danault.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
I’d love to offload Kuznetsov for CBJ 1st +. I imagine Columbus is on his 15-team no-trade list, though

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Yeah when I think Miller I think hothead, versatile, erratic. Kind of like Dubinsky, who is missed. Miller is Ohioan so that's neat too.

I watch a lot of Oilers and I would never sign RNH with any expectation of him being true 1C caliber. High end PKers aren't in short supply in Columbus, and I'm not sure I'd characterize his 5v5 defensive game as elite. He's smart though and he transitions the puck very well, which is maybe his best selling point. I'm not sure whether I'd be as confident in using him as a hard minutes center as I would be with Danault.
Fair assessment on both accounts. I am a bigger fan of RNH than Danault if cap and term are equal - but I've watched a lot more Edmonton than Montreal over the past 5 seasons. It will be interesting to see how this off season unfolds. Teams with cap space (Columbus) could benefit from the leagues dismal economic position.

Reactions: majormajor

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Don't see Kuz getting a top 5/6 pick offer. Not with his history and decline in play.

His play has been fine. He is a 1st line center. The dissapointment from Caps fans is he have so much potential, but with his Low effort he is only a Low end 1C on the ice, but not one of the top players in the league as he could have been. Its his off ice issues thats the biggest problem.

He was around 20th in ppg among centers the two previos years and top 10 the year before that. In the 30s this year, but he started slow after coming back from covid and before he broke the covid protocol again he played his best hockey analiticaly since Caps cup run and was putring up points.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Every teams fans say that about their stars. HF always expects prime assets worth 2-3x the value of the player they giving up and scoff at any proposals less then that.

Reality is trades like this will almost always feel disappointing at the time its done, but sometimes those lesser pieces work out better, see Ottawa and Karlsson to San Jose
Now compare the consensus to the Duchene trade and you’ll see the opposite.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Just win the lottery problem solved.

Too late to acquire Hall before the lottery.

Good, somewhat realistic options: Kuznetsov, Reinhart.

Consolation prize: Monahan.

Bargain bin: Dylan Strome

Out of left field holy shit move: Kopitar.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Columbus needs to tank. They cant build a contender any other way at this point.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Fantastic troll reply...go see how many players said they enjoyed columbus...its a great city...if you've never visited...thats on you...
Do we really need to do this all over again? It’s a glorified college town. It’s a more developed version of Gainesville. It’s not terrible, but it’s nowhere near what most young rich people would call a great city.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Do we really need to do this all over again? It’s a glorified college town. It’s a more developed version of Gainesville. It’s not terrible, but it’s nowhere near what most young rich people would call a great city.

Yeah it's a more mature college town...its not NYC, LA, Vegas, Miami (no actual team)...if you haven't been, then I will say you're a troll...I lived there...would again, but was offered a job in my field elsewhere...

Reactions: Toe Pick

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Players actually need to sign the OS. Who wants to go play in CBS?
To be fair... I think people who have been or lived there tend to like the city. Sure it doesn't have the big city appeal of NYC, Toronto, etc. but that doesn't make it some awful place.

FWIW, I've never been or plan to visit Columbus. I'm sure it's a decent city though. Just isn't a "sexy" destination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad