Claimed off Waivers: Colorado claims Dano off waivers from Winnipeg

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Martin St. Louis, Chris Kunitz, Jonahthan Marchessault, Paul Byron, Michael Grabner were also never NHLers as well clearly. Since true NHLers are never dropped to waivers.
i forgot anomalies exist

Haha I sure hope you dont bet on the less than 1% chance he becomes an NHLer after being waived and traded 3-4 times. You can name four names yet I can name over a thousand who didnt pan out after being waived

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
i forgot anomalies exist

Haha I sure hope you dont bet on the less than 1% chance he becomes an NHLer after being waived and traded 3-4 times. You can name four names yet I can name over a thousand who didnt pan out after being waived

Dano's history bears far more resemblance to the aforementioned players than the thousands you can name. He has scored at a borderline or better 2nd line rate his entire career, even when coaches tried to bury him with plugs. He has defied the odds at every level. From making KHL at 16 to a leading tournament scoring on a useless WJC team, to a top scorer in draft +1 year in NHL.

Both times he was traded it was as the main piece for a key player. I still don't understand how that really works against him. He was never an A+ prospect so he was the solid secondary prospect on great teams that wanted help now. He was only traded because those teams wanted immediate players. If he was drafted by an Arizona or Vancouver he'd likely be a top 6 player RIGHT NOW without ever being traded.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
i forgot anomalies exist

He's played 130 NHL games already, you know.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Dano's history bears far more resemblance to the aforementioned players than the thousands you can name. He has scored at a borderline or better 2nd line rate his entire career, even when coaches tried to bury him with plugs. He has defied the odds at every level. From making KHL at 16 to a leading tournament scoring on a useless WJC team, to a top scorer in draft +1 year in NHL.
No dog in this fight, just seeing what people thought of Dano as I've always been intrigued by him. But let's pump the brakes just a little here...produced at a 2nd line rate? Other than his 50 pts in 89 AHL games and 1 year in Columbus where he had 21 pts in 35 games, he has 24 points in 95 NHL games...that's not even close to 2nd line production. Just sayin'...if he breaks out he could possibly top out as a middle-sixer, but I don't think he'd be more than a 3rd liner at best right now

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

Both times he was traded it was as the main piece for a key player. I still don't understand how that really works against him. He was never an A+ prospect so he was the solid secondary prospect on great teams that wanted help now. He was only traded because those teams wanted immediate players. If he was drafted by an Arizona or Vancouver he'd likely be a top 6 player RIGHT NOW without ever being traded.

Yet Vancouver and Arizona passed on picking him up off the waiver draft...... just as all of the non-playoff teams from last year did.

If Coldorado did not select him off the waiver wire he probably would have cleared and would be playing in the AHL now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
No dog in this fight, just seeing what people thought of Dano as I've always been intrigued by him. But let's pump the brakes just a little here...produced at a 2nd line rate? Other than his 50 pts in 89 AHL games and 1 year in Columbus where he had 21 pts in 35 games, he has 24 points in 95 NHL games...that's not even close to 2nd line production. Just sayin'...if he breaks out he could possibly top out as a middle-sixer, but I don't think he'd be more than a 3rd liner at best right now
Yeah, and in 16-17 his secondary assist rate was unsustainable af

He is weirdly good defensively tho, solid bottom 6 guy

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
Yet Vancouver and Arizona passed on picking him up off the waiver draft...... just as all of the non-playoff teams from last year did.

If Coldorado did not select him off the waiver wire he probably would have cleared and would be playing in the AHL now.
Two teams that are perpetually insignificant. I can't believe Sakic wouldn't follow suit.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I'm assuming they mean in terms of even-strength points/60, obviously not totals. Even star players would struggle to put up second line totals if they were playing 6 minutes a night with no PP time.

Nov 24, 2006
Let's try to remember that Dano is now on his fourth team at the age of 23.

Fourth.

He may develop into something worthwhile, but I'd say the odds are against it at this point.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A bit of context...

Dano has struggled to stay in shape over the past couple of years, and slid down the Jets' depth chart for that reason (Maurice puts a high value on physical conditioning). This year Dano came to camp about 15 pounds lighter and in much better shape, but the Jets have a few young players vying for the 12th forward spot, so Dano was odd-man out.

I think he'll be a very good acquisition for Colorado, especially now that he's in better shape and quicker than he was the past couple of years. He's aggressive, smart and has very good puck skills.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Apparently not as deep as Dano dug to be traded multiple times and waived

Timing is everything.
For several years the Jets were short on NHL caliber players. But Dano joined the team as the Jets became loaded on the wings.
He was not in great shape last year at camp (his fault) and rode the pine for most of the year. By all accounts never griped and worked hard and was a good teammate. He even scored in his first game back after sitting forever.

This year he came into camp in great shape, scored some goals and looks quite good. But was never given the chance to play and was waived. (Not his fault)

Most Jets fans would have preferred to reassign one of our two waiver exempt guys (Lemieux or Vesalainen) to at least give Dano one more chance before losing him for nothing. Some have suspected that after not finding a trade partner for him that management let him go as a favor to him.

If the Avs give him a chance he should do ok. I wish he wasn’t in our division.

Best of luck to Marko. (Except when he plays the Jets of course)

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Dano is a worthwhile player that was caught in the #s game with the Jets. Winnipeg has drafted so many good forwards since Dano was part of the Ladd trade. Given regular minutes I think 'Lanche fans will like him.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Vancouver passed on Ehlers, Nylander, Pasternak, Larkin and Fiala in the entry draft. Arizona passed on Marner, Werenski, Provorov, Connor and Barzal.

Maybe there is a reason why they are non-playoff teams?
Must be nice to cheer for a team that has never missed on a draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00