Rumor: Colorado, Boston, Rangers looking at Atkinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I maybe wouldn't do it if not for the fact that the club is already moving away from Wiz. If that's the case than I see this as a good deal. Trade Wiz and go big on Mike Green or some other RHD in trade or UFA.

O'Reilly >> Cam. They're both having bad years and O'Reilly still has way more assists than Cam gets in a good year. You can play him at any forward position and he's a stellar all-around player.

Okay.

Just wondering where you are getting all of this money from :).

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Okay.

Just wondering where you are getting all of this money from :).

We don't really know the team's intended salary, do we?

The Clarkson trade tells us that they don't intend on having a salary $5.3m higher than the cap. But they could still want to be near the cap, and if that's the case, then I think we have the money.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I was really hoping to hold off on trading Atkinson until the summer but seeing what these rentals are going for, the time to move him (if that's the direction the club wants to go) is now. He's got extra value right now because of his low cap hit. I don't think a low 1st (or equivalent value) is out of the question anymore.

What about Cam to Boston for a conditional 1st? If Boston makes the playoff's(regardless if Atkinson helps. He could get injured in his first game) it's a 2015 1st. If they miss, it becomes a 2016. Which would be better? Having 2 1st rounders from a deep draft would be great. But it will be a late pick. Always a chance, but unlikely that Boston does worse next season and the pick is a little better. Or to make it better for us. If they make the playoff's, Columbus has the option for either 2015 or 2016. Have to decide 5 picks in advance.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Cam has been jerked around by TR repeatedly. Want 20+ goal out of him? Play him on the line with Johanson and Foligno/Hartnell. The great TR played him there for 2-3 games and he was starting to produce. Then, the great TR, changed his mind and put him on another line.

More and more I am beginning to think one of the biggest problems with this team is the head coach who seems to have no concept of hockey other than repeating the phrase "hard to play against".

And while we are on the topic of guys who have potential but are not meeting it, Johanson should have 30 goal potential and he is not reaching it. I mean, did we trade him? Kind of wondering because I have not seem him on the ice in about 10 days.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
What about Cam to Boston for a conditional 1st? If Boston makes the playoff's(regardless if Atkinson helps. He could get injured in his first game) it's a 2015 1st. If they miss, it becomes a 2016. Which would be better? Having 2 1st rounders from a deep draft would be great. But it will be a late pick. Always a chance, but unlikely that Boston does worse next season and the pick is a little better. Or to make it better for us. If they make the playoff's, Columbus has the option for either 2015 or 2016. Have to decide 5 picks in advance.

Maybe it's just me, but here's what my conditions would look like:
BOS misses playoffs - 2015 1st-rounder
BOS makes playoffs - 2015 1st-rounder and 2015 3rd-rounder
BOS makes playoffs AND final four - 2015 1st-rounder and 2016 1st-rounder
BOS wins Stanley Cup - 2015 1st-rounder, 2015 2nd-rounder, 2016 1st-rounder

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
We don't really know the team's intended salary, do we?

The Clarkson trade tells us that they don't intend on having a salary $5.3m higher than the cap. But they could still want to be near the cap, and if that's the case, then I think we have the money.

Well, let's just say I don't think we can spend that much right now. If they want to, great.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Maybe it's just me, but here's what my conditions would look like:
BOS misses playoffs - 2015 1st-rounder
BOS makes playoffs - 2015 1st-rounder and 2015 3rd-rounder
BOS makes playoffs AND final four - 2015 1st-rounder and 2016 1st-rounder
BOS wins Stanley Cup - 2015 1st-rounder, 2015 2nd-rounder, 2016 1st-rounder

Good luck with that. Cam MAY be worth a 1st rounder. He is never worth multiple first rounders no matter what the team he is traded to does.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Cam has been jerked around by TR repeatedly. Want 20+ goal out of him? Play him on the line with Johanson and Foligno/Hartnell. The great TR played him there for 2-3 games and he was starting to produce. Then, the great TR, changed his mind and put him on another line.

More and more I am beginning to think one of the biggest problems with this team is the head coach who seems to have no concept of hockey other than repeating the phrase "hard to play against".

And while we are on the topic of guys who have potential but are not meeting it, Johanson should have 30 goal potential and he is not reaching it. I mean, did we trade him? Kind of wondering because I have not seem him on the ice in about 10 days.

Interesting that a guy who played four years of college hockey, thirteen years of professional, and is in his thirteenth season as a coach apparently has "no concept of hockey". It's not like he was a decorated player during his career or anything, including being named the top defenseman in the second-best league in the world and captaining a team to three Finals in six years...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Welcome to the club. I have never understood why we have kept TR this long.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Good luck with that. Cam MAY be worth a 1st rounder. He is never worth multiple first rounders no matter what the team he is traded to does.

The risk run by a team making a trade for an unpegged 1st-rounder is that it ends up going from somewhere around 15th or 16th down to 27th or lower.

Look at the Carter deal to Los Angeles. Having a 1st and Johnson is good, having additional assets to hedge against the Kings going on a tear in the playoffs would have been even better. Instead of picking from a cluster that included Girgensons, Hertl, Teravainen, Vasilievski, or Maatta, it made more sense to defer the pick entirely. Throw in the fact that Filip Forsberg was taken 11th, and whether it would have been possible to have jumped up from 14th-17th to 11th by packaging another asset in the process...

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
see Jake learning from Jagr

yeep, You are right :(

pAB79YM.jpg

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The risk run by a team making a trade for an unpegged 1st-rounder is that it ends up going from somewhere around 15th or 16th down to 27th or lower.

Look at the Carter deal to Los Angeles. Having a 1st and Johnson is good, having additional assets to hedge against the Kings going on a tear in the playoffs would have been even better. Instead of picking from a cluster that included Girgensons, Hertl, Teravainen, Vasilievski, or Maatta, it made more sense to defer the pick entirely. Throw in the fact that Filip Forsberg was taken 11th, and whether it would have been possible to have jumped up from 14th-17th to 11th by packaging another asset in the process...

Would you trade the potential of 3 first round picks for a player like Atkinson?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Josh Yohe @JoshYohe_Trib
Blackhawks have two scouts here for Pens/Jackets. That is interesting. No other team has a scout here.
Mark @CBJTherapy
@JoshYohe_Trib One being their Director of Pro Scouting also.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I maybe wouldn't do it if not for the fact that the club is already moving away from Wiz. If that's the case than I see this as a good deal. Trade Wiz and go big on Mike Green or some other RHD in trade or UFA.

O'Reilly >> Cam. They're both having bad years and O'Reilly still has way more assists than Cam gets in a good year. You can play him at any forward position and he's a stellar all-around player.

O'Reilly is not as good a player as Dubi but is already paid more than Dubi will be getting once his extension kicks in, and will be asking for even more. He's a financial disaster in the making.

If we could talk him down to a more reasonable deal, I'd be all for it. But his agent has already made public statements about refusing to accept less money per year, and he's already got a history of holding out.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Would you trade the potential of 3 first round picks for a player like Atkinson?

I don't think there's any real need to address this, but since I already tapped "reply", I might as well.

First, at no point did I say "three first-rounders", even potentially. The maximum return would be two 1sts and a 2nd, which would be #30, #60, and a future unpegged first.

Second, there are some pretty big considerations. Namely:
- Chiarelli's job has been rumored to be on the chopping block if Boston doesn't do something in the playoffs
- The Bruins are 22nd in scoring, and only three players on that team have more than Atkinson's 13 (none have 20)
- Atkinson is not a rental; the Bruins would control his future
- Given the conditions built into the idea I mentioned, the potential of losing two additional picks would be more than offset by winning a freakin' Stanley Cup
- If Boston gets in but goes nowhere without scoring, there would be rioting over an early exit exacerbated by a refusal to part with conditional picks to acquire a real and tangible scoring asset

In summation: if your job is on the line, if you need scoring in the worst way, if the conditions of a potential trade don't even come into play unless you make it to the conference finals or later, then yes, you're damn right I'd consider it if I were a GM.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not interested in wiz at all is
ROR and Holden for JJ and Atkinson close?
BLOODY ****ING HELL.

We have officially reached Johansen-to-Edmonton-for-not-Eberle levels of persistent stupidity with Avs fans trying to send RoR here for a defenseman.

For the eleventy billionth damn time, unless and until his contract situation becomes less of a g-ddamn dumpster fire, NO. We're already paying large amounts of money for better players at lower prices than what he's already making.

Or, alternatively - if you want this to happen, you have to take back Clarkson in the deal. Without any salary retention.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
O'Reilly is not as good a player as Dubi but is already paid more than Dubi will be getting once his extension kicks in, and will be asking for even more. He's a financial disaster in the making.

If we could talk him down to a more reasonable deal, I'd be all for it. But his agent has already made public statements about refusing to accept less money per year, and he's already got a history of holding out.

Surely I'm not the only one out there who regards O'Reilly as being more than slightly overrated. He's a younger Vermette: a second-liner who can play well but not excel in multiple situations. Of course, the salary structure is so out of whack for a player like this that I have no idea why the idea of picking him up would ever be considered.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I don't think there's any real need to address this, but since I already tapped "reply", I might as well.

First, at no point did I say "three first-rounders", even potentially. The maximum return would be two 1sts and a 2nd, which would be #30, #60, and a future unpegged first.

Second, there are some pretty big considerations. Namely:
- Chiarelli's job has been rumored to be on the chopping block if Boston doesn't do something in the playoffs
- The Bruins are 22nd in scoring, and only three players on that team have more than Atkinson's 13 (none have 20)
- Atkinson is not a rental; the Bruins would control his future
- Given the conditions built into the idea I mentioned, the potential of losing two additional picks would be more than offset by winning a freakin' Stanley Cup
- If Boston gets in but goes nowhere without scoring, there would be rioting over an early exit exacerbated by a refusal to part with conditional picks to acquire a real and tangible scoring asset

In summation: if your job is on the line, if you need scoring in the worst way, if the conditions of a potential trade don't even come into play unless you make it to the conference finals or later, then yes, you're damn right I'd consider it if I were a GM.

You are right. 2 firsts and a second. Still dont think anyone would come anywhere close to even thinking about making that a possibility.

Last edited:

dnmccoy

Nov 18, 2013
Columbus
Has anybody else gone on record saying that well do nothing before the deadline and the pages and pages of speculation, drama and animosity will all have been for nothing?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Has anybody else gone on record saying that well do nothing before the deadline and the pages and pages of speculation, drama and animosity will all have been for nothing?

I think a couple now and then...wouldn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad