Rumor: Colorado, Boston, Rangers looking at Atkinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
FWIW...

Porty floated out a loose idea of an Atkinson deal to Colorado and specifically mentioned O'Reilly. Adding a blueliner and something else to Atkinson for him might be interesting since he's an RFA.

Edit: From the dispatch chat.

CKTSKW9.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
FWIW...

Porty floated out a loose idea of an Atkinson deal to Colorado and specifically mentioned O'Reilly. Adding a blueliner and something else to Atkinson for him might be interesting since he's an RFA.

Why would we want another center?

Also, I take nothing Portzline "floats" out there seriously considering it never happens. Remember when we were scouting Boston and Minnesota early in the year? Or when he mentioned Johansen for Kesler at the deadline last year? It's all crap.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
FWIW...

Doubt it. I significant + needed from us to get RoR and plus he's a UFA soon anyway, why would he sign here?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why would we want another center?.

To replace Anisimov? O'Reilly > Anisimov with a ceiling still to be achieved.

The only drawback would be his salary demands after next season which if he has a good year will be north of 7 mill in my mind.

While I'd love the player I don't think the Jackets can take on another long term big $ deal.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
^Exactly. We want to be paying a 3rd line C $5.8 million? Plus, between Dubi/Wennberg, and then whatever happens with Letestu & Chaput, I don't know where he'd slot in. I don't know...Arty, Atkinson, + for ROR? Maybe.

Boone is also a natural C. Not every center plays just as well or better on the wing like Jenner has. I don't see it happening, especially for the salary demands coming up.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
ROR can also play wing quite well right? Maybe he'd be seen as the Horton replacement. Although I think O'Reilly is a rental at best. He just really seems set on testing the free agency market.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
FWIW...

Edit: From the dispatch chat.

CKTSKW9.png

There is nothing in that comment that refers to ROR. He mentions him later, but not in the same context, imo.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
As much as I'd like to see Cam move on, I don't like it in this scenario. Just don't like where ROR is contract-wise

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I am not opposed to trading Cam. At all. But as others have stated, ROR makes big bucks, and IMO is not worth nearly as much as he is making now, or what he will likely demand in FA.

There is no point of trading for him to only have as a rental during a wasted year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Boone is also a natural C. Not every center plays just as well or better on the wing like Jenner has. I don't see it happening, especially for the salary demands coming up.

O'Reilly has spent much of the last few years on the wing, including some of his best hockey.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I am not opposed to trading Cam. At all. But as others have stated, ROR makes big bucks, and IMO is not worth nearly as much as he is making now, or what he will likely demand in FA.

There is no point of trading for him to only have as a rental during a wasted year.

This is what I think as well.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
It all depends on what ROR's next contract would look like whether it's worth pursuing or not. If we made a move and he could score 25+ goals then 6 million a year isn't so unreasonable. However his number right now would suggest closer to 3. Body of work is somewhere in between.

He'd fit in great as a top 6 wing with this group.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Word..... "Sell"...

Moving Cam isn't "selling" imo. He's due a new contract and has done nothing this season, or in the previous 3 seasons, to show that he has the consistency to be a top 6 forward.

Cam is the biggest disappointment of the season for me (along with Savard and Prout). In the wake of all these injuries, he's been relatively healthy, but has little to show for it. 9g 9a -9 in 45 games played. He's playing for the biggest contract of his career, I hoped and expected a lot more. You either move him, or don't sign him this summer, either way he won't be back in the fall. Its not coincidence he's been moved up, and its not a reward for good play. You put the cars you want to move most in the show room.

He's had a bad year, but to have a 28g/36a season under your belt at the age of 23 shows alot of potential. Jarmo needs a win, he's yet to improve this team beyond where Howson left it.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Moving Cam isn't "selling" imo. He's due a new contract and has done nothing this season, or in the previous 3 seasons, to show that he has the consistency to be a top 6 forward.

Cam is the biggest disappointment of the season for me (along with Savard and Prout). In the wake of all these injuries, he's been relatively healthy, but has little to show for it. 9g 9a -9 in 45 games played. He's playing for the biggest contract of his career, I hoped and expected a lot more. You either move him, or don't sign him this summer, either way he won't be back in the fall. Its not coincidence he's been moved up, and its not a reward for good play. You put the cars you want to move most in the show room.

I disagree on two points:

First up until this year Cam was basically a .5 pt per game player. I'll take that.

Second he will be re-signed if he isn't traded. It will be for less than he would have received if he was still a half point per game player
but we're not letting him walk for nothing. I see a "prove it" contract maybe for only a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad