Series Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs San Jose Sharks (P2 vs WC2)

Who ya got?

• Avs in 4

• Avs in 5

• Avs in 6

• Avs in 7

• Sharks in 4

• Sharks in 5

• Sharks in 6

• Sharks in 7

Results are only viewable after voting.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Vlasic in my opinion is the key to the Sharks D. I know they have two huge named Defenders in Burns and Karlsson, but for one I feel Karlsson is not at 100% at all. The Sharks D is certainly not as young as it use to be. They need to be top not to help out a very shaky Martin Jones who is going to be tested hard by more than just the top line.

At first, I was all for playing VGK because they started out their season badly. I then the PTSD with Skarks always owning us in the Shark tank. I guess it feels better now knowing that the Sharks are not the same caliper of a team that they were a few years ago. Also, VGK have better goaler, many tough guys and also Staz and other players that can contribute just as much as San Jose were.

Jost Is The Most

Apr 24, 2019
Littleton, Colorado
At first, I was all for playing VGK because they started out their season badly. I then the PTSD with Skarks always owning us in the Shark tank. I guess it feels better now knowing that the Sharks are not the same caliper of a team that they were a few years ago. Also, VGK have better goaler, many tough guys and also Staz and other players that can contribute just as much as San Jose were.
I think the Goalie between the Sharks and Knights is a huge difference. There were a few periods for sure that Martin Jones showed he could put on a good show, but the majority he was not good at all. I think our offense can exploit that a lot. Fleury would have been much better in shutting us down and plus he has to go down as one of the top playoff goalies. I don't think it is going to be an easy series, but I do think we can win this series.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
I put Avs in 7, but frankly I don’t know how Avs going to win at the Tank. They have not win at San Jose since years? ago.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Not sure where to ask this question, so I’ll put it here:

For all the hockey strategists on the board, we hear a lot about how the Avs’ speed cause a lot of trouble because they can zip thru the neutral zone and wreck havoc in the opponents zone, but we also hear that they get pretty neutralized when the opposition clogs the neutral zone. Given that we’ve seen teams effectively slow the Avs down by clogging the NZ, how does one counter that?

Reactions: MacBradley

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Not sure where to ask this question, so I’ll put it here:

For all the hockey strategists on the board, we hear a lot about how the Avs’ speed cause a lot of trouble because they can zip thru the neutral zone and wreck havoc in the opponents zone, but we also hear that they get pretty neutralized when the opposition clogs the neutral zone. Given that we’ve seen teams effectively slow the Avs down by clogging the NZ, how does one counter that?
A team with speedy players especially with skills is very hard to slow down by blocking them using your body. If you miss by just a little they will blow by you when you are flat-footed or you will take a penalty trying to slow them down. The best two ways to use the neutral zone against a team like the Avs is to be in the way of their passes before they get their speed. The other way is to slow them down using the board and your body to squeeze the player. You don't need to bodycheck the guy. You just need to rub him against the board going in the same direction producing enough friction to make him lose his peed. Very effective when done properly.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I really hate those late starts but hey, Avs are in the second round so no complaints.

Reactions: Avs

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
With Girard back, what's the defense going to be like?

Girard - Johnson
Cole - Barrie
Zadorov - Makar

But Girard, Barrie, and Makar don't kill penalties... so 7 d with Nemeth?

If 7 d, Bourque comes out, and Brassard replaces Sven?

So many decisions....

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Does anyone know if those yellow glow lines in football to show where the team needs to get to to get a first down are just on tv or can people and players in the stadium see it?

They're done digitally.

Basically cameras contains information about its position (pitch, location, pan, zoom). The camera sends both the images and its location to a computer (or set of computers) they're using to collect all the footage. The camera metadata is used in conjunction with 3d models they've created of each field to accurately generate the projection of the line as if you were viewing it from the perspective of the position of the camera.

Prior to the game, they select which color channels match the ground surface so that they can add the line to particular channels which won't interfere with colors that aren't associated with the field surface. I'm not 100% sure how they compensate for situations where jersey's match the surface, such as the Green Bay Packers.

Last edited:
Reactions: mapletreemarty

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
With Girard back, what's the defense going to be like?

Girard - Johnson
Cole - Barrie
Zadorov - Makar

But Girard, Barrie, and Makar don't kill penalties... so 7 d with Nemeth?

If 7 d, Bourque comes out, and Brassard replaces Sven?

So many decisions....

In my unhumble opinion, they should go with 7 D and let Sven and Brassard sit. They will probably go 7 D and let Sven and Gork sit.

Reactions: 21

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
@Sea Eagles please provide some optimism to this poor soul. Avs are going to freeze the Shark Tank.

Put it this way.

Calgary came 2nd in the league, and we blew them away. Literally smashed them, and shut their best players down. We have rested up. We are healthy.
The Sharks came 6th in the league, and struggled in a 7 game series against the Knights, and to me, look a little beaten up.

Last season , I felt The Preds were the absolute best team in the league by a mile quality wise, and we pushed them at times in those playoffs.
For that reason, amongst others, I have no fear of these Sharks, and think they can get beaten, home & away. No-one gave a chance against The Flames remember.

We've actually scored 3.4 goals on average per game these playoffs (against the 2nd best team in the reg. season), home to Gio, Hanifin & others.
The Sharks have scored 3.28 goals on average per game these playoffs

We've allowed on average 2.2 goals per game these playoffs
The Sharks have allowed 3.27 goals per game these playoffs (no other team allowing more goals) - although not on average.

The Sharks have the 3rd worst PK in the league these playoffs.
The Sharks are the 8th worst team taking shots wise (Avs first overall, 41 - 33 per game on average, with Mack blitzing opposition goalies)

That, and oh....we are The Avs. Our boys are up, confident, strong, talented, skilled, and have all sorts of passion.

Avs in 6.
And I did call Avs in 5 in the Flames series before a puck was dropped.

Have faith in our boys guys and gals. We are watching something special. If it doesn't happen, meh, what an amazing ride. They've made me so happy.
I'm pumped and proud that I support the best team in the universe.

@Mules

Last edited:

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
They're done digitally.

Basically cameras contains information about its position (pitch, location, pan, zoom). The camera sends both the images and its location to a computer (or set of computers) they're using to collect all the footage. The camera metadata is used in conjunction with 3d models they've created of each field to accurately generate the projection of the line as if you were viewing it from the perspective of the position of the camera.

Prior to the game, they select which color channels match the ground surface so that they can add the line to particular channels which won't interfere with colors that aren't associated with the field surface. I'm not 100% sure how they compensate for situations where jersey's match the surface, such as the Green Bay Packers.

I was just screwing around but thanks for the info. Thats way more than I knew about the process.

As far as compensating when Jersey match the playing field, ive actually seen it where the yellow line actually goes over the player because, I'm assuming, the software recognizes the players jersey as part of the field. Doesnt seem to happen as much anymore so I guess the technology is improving.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
In my unhumble opinion, they should go with 7 D and let Sven and Brassard sit. They will probably go 7 D and let Sven and Gork sit.
I don't think they'll go with 7 D because Makar had some time to practice with the team now. Nemeth will probably sit. Brassard will probably come in for Ghetto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad