GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Saint Louis Blues Saturday 11/11/23 @7:00PM Mountain Time

Which is the better side dish?

• Total voters

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not much to say, just f***ing pathetic.

Not sure this team and season is salvageable. I'd thought getting shutout 3 times in 4 games including a 7-0 embarrassment to Vegas would be enough to get these guys motivated to show up, but then this a week later, I don't even know what to say. How do you have so little pride that you just f***ing quit?

Something drastic has to happen like tomorrow. I'm honestly not even opposed to sitting all three off 29, 96 and 8. At very minimum yank their PP time and give it to guys like LOC, Colton and Wood. At least they are skating hard every night. The big 3 need a wakeup call what better way than to not give them PP time

Open up the goalie competition again and give Prosvetov and Annunen the reps. George should be plastered to the bench for at least a month. And then make him earn playing time from there.

Place Drouin and Tatar on waivers and if no takers, put them in the minors or cut them loose.

Not sure what to do on defense but my god do Girard, JJ and Manson suck. I'd say bench them but then I have to watch Hunt and MacDermid and I'm not sure I can even handle that. So I'll just go with we are f***ed.
You can add Toews to that list and Bo. Now you got 5/6 of the Avs d playing below standards. Hell you can even make a case for Makar playing under his abilities. I also agree with the goaltending but its a sensitive thing. Georgiev had problems sharing the crease with Shesterkin. He will have major problems being second fiddle to Prosvetov even though right now its warranted a bit until he can be trusted again.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Erod JTC and Newhook are a much more talented trio than Colton Ryjo and Wood.

Cmac wanted the bottom 6 to be more physical. But he sacrificed skill.
Yeah ERod is the one I couldn’t remember, and they all have more points than the Avs new guys, but it’s not just about points. It’s about being a team and this isn’t a team right now. This is like that new beer league team you put together where no one knows each other

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yeah ERod is the one I couldn’t remember, and they all have more points than the Avs new guys, but it’s not just about points. It’s about being a team and this isn’t a team right now. This is like that new beer league team you put together where no one knows each other
Out scoring two fourth liners and a guy known for his laziness coming off a major injury isn't a difficult task.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Ryan Johanson has 1 pt 5v5 in 12 GP. And this is a guy whose former team is paying half his salary to play against them. You’d think someone would have some professional pride at some point. But no. Not with this guy.

Between CMac and Bednar, who vouched for him?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It is starting to feel like the Avs lost what makes their team so special. This feels eerily similar to the offseason of 2014 when they loaded up on "veteran leadership" instead of keeping with the speed/skill and things got bad really fast.

This to me looks like they swung waaaayyyy too far to the "physicality/size" pendulum over the last two offseasons with Manson re-signing, Colton, Wood, and Johansen.

The team has quite clearly lost skill and east/west speed in exchange for "beefiness", north/south speed and whatever it is Johansen does.

This could get real ugly, real fast if they don't figure it out. But this does not look like the Avs teams of the last 5 seasons.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Eh, offensively I think he’s doing fine as well. Again, it’s Makar who looks like he’s skating on one leg right now.
1 goal 4 assists in 13 games is doing fine? My standards for a Top 10 Dman are a little higher I guess. Makar on one leg is a PPG player still. I expect more from Toews offensively especially with that contract now. This team has relied on the defense for years to be the secondary scoring. They arent getting much of that from anyone other than Makar right now.

It is starting to feel like the Avs lost what makes their team so special. This feels eerily similar to the offseason of 2014 when they loaded up on "veteran leadership" instead of keeping with the speed/skill and things got bad really fast.

This to me looks like they swung waaaayyyy too far to the "physicality/size" pendulum over the last two offseasons with Manson re-signing, Colton, Wood, and Johansen.

The team has quite clearly lost skill and east/west speed in exchange for "beefiness", north/south speed and whatever it is Johansen does.

This could get real ugly, real fast if they don't figure it out. But this does not look like the Avs teams of the last 5 seasons.
Bingo.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Ryan Johanson has 1 pt 5v5 in 12 GP. And this is a guy whose former team is paying half his salary to play against them. You’d think someone would have some professional pride at some point. But no. Not with this guy.

Between CMac and Bednar, who vouched for him?
A bad team thought the best use of their money in a league where most teams are hitting the cap is to pay 4 million for Ryjo not to play for them.

He's come exactly as advertised.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A bad team thought the best use of their money in a league where most teams are hitting the cap is to pay 4 million for Ryjo not to play for them.

He's come exactly as advertised.
Yah you really cant be upset at RyJo. Preds knew he sucked, Kessler knows he sucks, he knows he sucks and most of us knew he sucked too. This is expected. You can say the same for Drouin and Tatar.

Reactions: missionAvs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
We went bargain bin hunting, because we had to. It sucks, but we just have to hope Drouin, Tatar and RyJo can find their game. Because there were no other choices, and we have no other choice now.

Reactions: Avs91

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
We went bargain bin hunting, because we had to. It sucks, but we just have to hope Drouin, Tatar and RyJo can find their game. Because there were no other choices, and we have no other choice now.
Well, if they dont, it wont be end of the world. Just another season without Cup. We cut them loose at the end of season and try our luck again with someone else. Our core is still great, even if they had bunch of shit games lately.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Well, if they dont, it wont be end of the world. Just another season without Cup. We cut them loose at the end of season and try our luck again with someone else. Our core is still great, even if they had bunch of shit games lately.

Plus it’s still early, about 70 games left in the season and no one is exactly running away with the central. They have time to figure it out.

I’ll preface this by saying they’re obviously not the same teams but the 00-01 Avs didn’t have a good start to their season and ended up alright.

It hasn’t been a good start but I’m not quite ready to write off this season yet. Let’s see if guys can step up during some adversity, hopefully this is rock bottom.

Reactions: MacKaRant and Avs91

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Plus it’s still early, about 70 games left in the season and no one is exactly running away with the central. They have time to figure it out.

I’ll preface this by saying they’re obviously not the same teams but the 00-01 Avs didn’t have a good start to their season and ended up alright.

It hasn’t been a good start but I’m not quite ready to write off this season yet. Let’s see if guys can step up during some adversity, hopefully this is rock bottom.
Yeah, thing I find interesting is we actually did have a good start. Start was great. So... what's uhhh going on?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yeah, thing I find interesting is we actually did have a good start. Start was great. So... what's uhhh going on?

I mean, it was a good start in the standings but the team looked off then too, just the last week and a half the wheels came off and the mistakes cost them. Tonight they had a good stretch to start and got scored on from an unlucky bounce, then hit 2 posts and couldn’t beat Binnington. After the 2nd and 3rd goals they just kind of quit.

Reactions: Avs91

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I mean, it was a good start in the standings but the team looked off then too, just the last week and a half the wheels came off and the mistakes cost them. Tonight they had a good stretch to start and got scored on from an unlucky bounce, then hit 2 posts and couldn’t beat Binnington. After the 2nd and 3rd goals they just kind of quit.
Yeah, didn't look great inside games but still won seven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad