GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Saint Louis Blues Saturday 11/11/23 @7:00PM Mountain Time

Which is the better side dish?

• Total voters

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
This is for all the people calling for Bennett to be fired.

Bednar says it right there. Too many times guys are trying to go tic-tac-toe and be cute instead of keeping it simple.

The players are the ones doing this. Yes, the coaching staff is also to blame but the players - especially the ones at the top of the lineup - are making this so much worse.
I agree with Jared's statements. However, Bennett has never impressed me and I am guessing that he really doesn't have most of the forwards respect. Esp. the top guys. He's an albatross around Jared's neck by commission.

Reactions: cinchronicity

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Guys. We suck

It’s time to face facts. We just aren’t a good hockey team this season. No offense. Terrible D. Terrible goaltending.
There's zero reason for a team with Mack/Makar/Rants on it to be "terrible".

There's good teams with a lot less talent on them than we have

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As much as it probably sucks, I think you have to try MacKinnon, Johansen, Olofsson, and Pavel as your centres and move Colton to the wing.

Might even be good to put Colton next to Johansen and Rantanen to alleviate some of the laziness Johansen brings, and keep Nichushkin next to MacKinnon.
I can see it to clear his head, but that center rotation is so bad that it doesn’t really have a chance to contend. Colton kinda has to work and so does RyJo.

‘There’s zero reason for a team with Crosby/Malkin/Letang to suck’

It takes more than 3 guys to make a hockey team.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This team is f***ed. They look awful, beyond awful. They're not even in these games.
And this is because there is a disconnect within the group. They’re not playing for each other which I know is an old cliche, but there is no chemistry with all the new players. Not to mention that Avs lost few players who were two way solid forwards like Kadri, JTC and Landy of course.

There is just no way you can point at one or two players and say it’s their fault. This is a team thing and needs to be fixed, otherwise this will be a lost season and they will have to make big changes in the offseason

Reactions: forsbergavs32

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So if Kuemper was gonna be the same as Georgiev, what could the Avs do to not struggle like this if you guys gonna blame the goalie? There are only few elite goalies in the NHL and Avs can’t trade for any of them. They just can’t afford a better goalie. But again, this isn’t all on Georgiev. The entire team sucks right now
Nothing. It be garbage in garbage out if the Avs traded for Kuemper. They both suck.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver

Agreed but it’s true right now. Mack looks awful and isn’t generating anything. Rants is fine. Makar isn’t doing much.

It’s simply not good enough to make up for the other ineptness.

The worse part is it’s bad hockey to watch. Very little passion and attitude. They seem fine sucking it up.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Nothing. It be garbage in garbage out if the Avs traded for Kuemper. They both suck.
I mean even if you think they suck, Avs still won the cup with Kuemper. They just don’t have the same team as the cup winning team. Georgiev would have won the cup with the Avs in 2022. On paper they have a good team, but on the ice this is just crap right now. None of the new guys are producing offensively or defensively. This is like a new team trying to learn to play together

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The other thing to keep in mind with Mackinnon, he's right at that age where the first real signs of regression may be starting to pop up.

Hopefully that isn't the case and he's just going through a tough stretch and in a month from now we can look back and laugh at this... But its also a definite possibility that this is just those early signs of regression from an elite superstar, Top 3 player in the game to just a star player.

And if that's the case, our window is indeed closing.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Agreed but it’s true right now. Mack looks awful and isn’t generating anything. Rants is fine. Makar isn’t doing much.

It’s simply not good enough to make up for the other ineptness.

The worse part is it’s bad hockey to watch. Very little passion and attitude. They seem fine sucking it up.

That's the one thing I don't like with Bednar's coaching, he wants everyone to be even keeled all the time, but sometimes you gotta go out and lay a big hit and toe the line a bit to get your team going. We saw it Zadorov, seeing it with Manson, MacDermid. Players known for playing a physical game don't really play it under Bednar.

Reactions: arun

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My final comment on tonight's game and the current iteration of the Avs...

I can guarantee you we dont see a 3rd period as embarrassing as that one if Landeskog was still playing and inside of that dressing room after the 2nd period. Say what you will about the quality of player he ends up being when he returns, but he'll make a massive difference inside of that locker room if nothing else.

Also, as much as I have questions about Kovalenko's skills translating to the NHL... He's a guy who's effort level will never be questioned once he's here either.

Reactions: Avs9296

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I can see it to clear his head, but that center rotation is so bad that it doesn’t really have a chance to contend. Colton kinda has to work and so does RyJo.

‘There’s zero reason for a team with Crosby/Malkin/Letang to suck’

It takes more than 3 guys to make a hockey team.
They won 3 cups?

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean even if you think they suck, Avs still won the cup with Kuemper. They just don’t have the same team as the cup winning team. Georgiev would have won the cup with the Avs in 2022. On paper they have a good team, but on the ice this is just crap right now. None of the new guys are producing offensively or defensively. This is like a new team trying to learn to play together
Honestly, now that there’s been a little time to observe and assess, I don’t think they necessarily have a good team even on paper.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I dont think they suck I know they suck and ya that Cup team could have won with a fire hydrant in net they were that dominant. Avs won the cup despite the shitty goalies they had. Avs simply cant get sub par goaltending anymore with the roster. They need a guy who can cover up the warts and for 6 games George did that until he cracked in the Carolina game and he hasnt been able to recover since and 7-0 losses and losses like tonight cant be good for him. The team in front of him doesnt get a pass but they also need a save to help them out and he cant do that right now.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The other thing to keep in mind with Mackinnon, he's right at that age where the first real signs of regression may be starting to pop up.

Hopefully that isn't the case and he's just going through a tough stretch and in a month from now we can look back and laugh at this... But its also a definite possibility that this is just those early signs of regression from an elite superstar, Top 3 player in the game to just a star player.

And if that's the case, our window is indeed closing.
Another thing folks dont want to admit but it happens.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well on paper we figured Colton, RyJo, Wood would have been better than JTC, Newhook, Malgin and whoever.
Yeah, I know. But in hindsight it would’ve required pretty much all those players overachieving to some degree.

Colton is just not a 3C. Maybe a 3W but not a 3C. Wood is a fourth liner. And I don’t even want to get started on Johansen.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not much to say, just f***ing pathetic.

Not sure this team and season is salvageable. I'd thought getting shutout 3 times in 4 games including a 7-0 embarrassment to Vegas would be enough to get these guys motivated to show up, but then this a week later, I don't even know what to say. How do you have so little pride that you just f***ing quit?

Something drastic has to happen like tomorrow. I'm honestly not even opposed to sitting all three off 29, 96 and 8. At very minimum yank their PP time and give it to guys like LOC, Colton and Wood. At least they are skating hard every night. The big 3 need a wakeup call what better way than to not give them PP time

Open up the goalie competition again and give Prosvetov and Annunen the reps. George should be plastered to the bench for at least a month. And then make him earn playing time from there.

Place Drouin and Tatar on waivers and if no takers, put them in the minors or cut them loose.

Not sure what to do on defense but my god do Girard, JJ and Manson suck. I'd say bench them but then I have to watch Hunt and MacDermid and I'm not sure I can even handle that. So I'll just go with we are f***ed.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Well on paper we figured Colton, RyJo, Wood would have been better than JTC, Newhook, Malgin and whoever.
Erod JTC and Newhook are a much more talented trio than Colton Ryjo and Wood.

Cmac wanted the bottom 6 to be more physical. But he sacrificed skill.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, I know. But in hindsight it would’ve required pretty much all those players overachieving to some degree.

Colton is just not a 3C. Maybe a 3W but not a 3C. Wood is a fourth liner. And I don’t even want to get started on Johansen.
Well, this is the roster they put together and have to figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad