Post-Game Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs. Los Angeles Kings - Jan. 22, 2013...part 2

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A win is a win still lots of room for improvement

1. Varlamov is about the only reason we werent embarrassed after 20 minutes. Another very good game for him. Your best penalty killer is your goalie and the Kings went 0 for 6 tonight.

2. Matt Duchene had a solid game. Been a long time since I seen him use his lower body strength like that to shield the puck. He looked fast as hell tonight. I wonder if putting him back on the PK has boosted his confidence. Remember in his rookie year he played on the PK quite often. My favourite part about his game tonight he kept it simple and not a single spin move. :handclap:

3. Our D. :help::help::help: our D need help bad. EJ went beast after the 1st period but besides him I thought the D looked shaky, scared and couldnt make a damn outlet pass. Alot of giveaways in our zone especially early on. Please get Ray Bourque in here to teach Johnson a few things about getting pucks to the net.

4. Mitchell. Mitchell has been a pleasant surprise thus far. I dont agree with having him on the first PP unit but he was prolly our most consistent forward the entire game.

5. Stastny line. Hasnt been great in fact next to invisible 5 on 5. We really need this line to find it and find it quick. Not saying Duchene's line has been world beaters but they seem to have found some chemistry in the second half of the game.

6. Barrie was bad. I see alot of people on her defending him but the one and only goal that was scored against was on him. Rycroft illustrated it just fine. Its expected from a young Dman but still he needs to be better if he wants to justify staying in the lineup ahead of SOB and Hunwick.

7. Hope Downie isnt injured we can ill afford to lose anyone. Then again he didnt take any dumb penalties tonight....progress

8. Landeskog improved as the game went on. Period 1 alot of east west action and not enough North South. Passed up on a shot which isnt like him at all. That changed. He woke up late in that second period and went beast in the 3rd. Hitting, blocking shots and scoring goals. Thats what we need from our captain.

9. That 5 on 3 set up. I didnt mind the people out there but I thought they were misplaced. Personally I would have had Landeskog in front of the net and Duchene set up on his off wing.

10. Do not take the Jackets lightly. They schooled us and essentially killed our playoff hopes last year lets not forget that. Lets try playing a full 60 minutes of solid hockey instead of 25 minutes worth.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dammit Ronaldo is getting too much hate for his Stastny hate.

Duchene is a wuss. Pft, who goes to the locker room for that. :sarcasm: TRADE HIM FOR BOGOSIAN!!

The universe needs some balance.

You always know what to say. It's been awhile dmitri,base, Asce... <3<3<3:D

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Barrie has Boyle-esque upside but is getting pushed around defensively and keeps making mistakes by trying to do too much.

It's hard to say how much they should play him this year but I hope he gets at least 25 games to adjust to the NHL. The talent level is clearly there.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Anyone else want to see Barrie and EJ paired together on the powerplay? Barrie should do like Liles did, and roam everywhere. He's so quick and agile, but to do that he needs to know he's got a guy back who could handle a 2 on 1. Might even open a shot lane for Johnson to get a shot through.

To be honest with you I kinda dont want to see Johnson on the PP at all but then again who are we going to use. Johnson is not a PP QB yes he has a big shot but that means eff all if he cant get it past that first defender

NHL33*

I have not watched the 2nd and 3rd periods yet, will do so today (Wednesday), but Barrie is being overly confident. He had smarter decisions last season despite being raw and overall NHL unready (no, this is not revisionist history on my part). Either Sacco should give him time to work our his kinks - while acknowledging the potential consequences - or send him back down to the AHL to stew, and let Hunwick back into the roster. Don't let him rot on the bench.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Highlight of the game: McLeod getting a roughing penalty for laying face down on the ice being mobbed by a bunch of Kings players.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Duchene played 3:40 on the PK today, more than any of our other centers. Very impressive. He was electric out there in a way that was missing all last season, hope he continues to trend in the right direction.

Very impressed with Mitchell today - played his role extremely effectively. Hopefully he keeps this up and doesn't go Orr'Brien on us.

Landeskog really got it going in the 3rd - again, hopefully he keeps trending in the right direction.

I want to see a lot more from Staz. Jones got it going a bit in the 3rd and hopefully as these guys shake off the rust their line will pick it up.

I hate the composition of our d corps. Barrie is a liability at many times but also brings an element that we need. I really wish that instead of getting 4 interchangable parts (Hejda, ROB, O'brien, Zanon) management could have gotten a slightly more veteran offensive guy, or just kept Liles. But oh well, I guess we'll have to make do with what we have.

SlyAvs

smokin Joe
Mar 21, 2011
He didn't make much of an effort to get around, I mean he practically speared Quick by jumping into him..

I can only imagine if that was Roy back in the day, he would have caused a brawl..
Jumping ? how do u want him to get around he felt n sled in the goal

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Extremely important win from Avalanche.

Duchene stepping up is extremely important for the entire team, great for him and he surprised me. The time in Sweden was good for him. ;-)

Landeskog decided it was time for winning in the third, he simply started working harder.

Usually Lando have >5 hits for a true Viking game but we'll have to give him some time. ;-) He was leading the team in shots (6) and +2 is promising.

Varlamov looking good but the Avs have to be careful with all these penalties. It's possible to play tough without taking penalties, Landeskog is a great example.

The Angry Teatowel

@AngryTeatowel
Aug 11, 2009
Kent, UK
www.eurolanche.com
I'm not really saying he did it in purpose, but with a guy like McLeod he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt like say Duchene or Hejduk would in that situation, hence the anger.

Of course he didn't do it on purpose, he was tripped and pushed into the net by the King, who then jumped in with Quick. Should have been an Avs PP.

Good 2nd period and even better 3rd. Duchene was awesome, really made stuff happen. Stastny looked better and even took a couple of shots! Duchene line is definitely starting to click. Mitchell is a very pleasant surprise and is doing a good job. Varly was ace again and that trade is looking good value. Most of the D were pretty bad. Hejda didn't have a great game, Barrie is still learning and Zanon attempted one of the most pathetic hits I've ever seen (if anyone else saw it? In the third, I think, looked like he was lining up a bridge hip check but went in very slowly and just bounced pathetically off the attacking King.)

All in all, worth getting up at 3am for!!

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
If anyone else saw it? In the third, I think, looked like he was lining up a bridge hip check but went in very slowly and just bounced pathetically off the attacking King

All in all, worth getting up at 3am for!!

Yeah, I saw that. I think he was stuck between two minds (hitting and just follow tightly) so he did neither.

And yes it was! (although 4am for me)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
After the night to sleep on it.

+ McLeod, is playing like he deserves his extension. Just needs to try and fine tune his agitation to avoid penalties best as possible.
+ Stastny/Jones, both played really well together. Stastny was making nice passes and covering defensively, while Jones was physical and showed the speed we haven't seen of him since... 09/10?
+ Duchene/PAP, both played really well together. Duchy was all over the ice, offensively, defensively, just needs to look like he cares about his faceoffs a little more. PAP may be slower, but he has great vision and is already getting chemistry with Duchy.
+ Landeskog's goal, he didn't play great all game, but he stepped up when it mattered and kept his game simple by contributing physically. Too many 'rookie' mistakes like the overpassing in the 1st.
+ Varly, just out-dueled the Vezina runner up and was extremely solid all game. Keeping us in it early on and sealing the deal late in the 3rd.
+ EJ, was flat out the best player alongside Duchy all game. Physically imposing, offensively he was a threat (although he needs to stop hitting the other team's first guy with his shots...) and he was also carrying the puck really well. A lot of posters around HF would have egg on their face if they watched him last game.

- Zanon, dude had some seriously bad shifts ala O'Brien bad. When he wasn't slow or out of position, he didn't shine in any one aspect. SOB should get the nod over him next game.

- Olver, simply outmatched out there on the 3rd/4th lines, he needs top line time in LEM and to be on an offensive line. Definitely won't make the NHL as a center.

- Hejduk, he wasn't thinking the game like the old Duke. Can't tell if it's lack of chemistry, lack of foot speed or a bit of everything. I miss the old Duke that could thread a needle with a puck and a stick.

- Downie's injury, I was looking forward to a healthy Downie this season.

Mehs... Barrie and Mitchell. Both made some great plays, both made some sloppy plays. Barrie's rush which led to a goal against is as much his fault as the forward that didn't slot back, he made a poor puck decision and as Rycroft said, didn't put himself in a position to stop Clifford by trying to go outside of him. Mitchell looked energetic and confident offensively, but he sucks on the PK and his passes aren't tape to tape, hurting his wing mates.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
After the night to sleep on it.

+ McLeod, is playing like he deserves his extension. Just needs to try and fine tune his agitation to avoid penalties best as possible.
+ Stastny/Jones, both played really well together. Stastny was making nice passes and covering defensively, while Jones was physical and showed the speed we haven't seen of him since... 09/10?
+ Duchene/PAP, both played really well together. Duchy was all over the ice, offensively, defensively, just needs to look like he cares about his faceoffs a little more. PAP may be slower, but he has great vision and is already getting chemistry with Duchy.
+ Landeskog's goal, he didn't play great all game, but he stepped up when it mattered and kept his game simple by contributing physically. Too many 'rookie' mistakes like the overpassing in the 1st.
+ Varly, just out-dueled the Vezina runner up and was extremely solid all game. Keeping us in it early on and sealing the deal late in the 3rd.
+ EJ, was flat out the best player alongside Duchy all game. Physically imposing, offensively he was a threat (although he needs to stop hitting the other team's first guy with his shots...) and he was also carrying the puck really well. A lot of posters around HF would have egg on their face if they watched him last game.

- Zanon, dude had some seriously bad shifts ala O'Brien bad. When he wasn't slow or out of position, he didn't shine in any one aspect. SOB should get the nod over him next game.

- Olver, simply outmatched out there on the 3rd/4th lines, he needs top line time in LEM and to be on an offensive line. Definitely won't make the NHL as a center.

- Hejduk, he wasn't thinking the game like the old Duke. Can't tell if it's lack of chemistry, lack of foot speed or a bit of everything. I miss the old Duke that could thread a needle with a puck and a stick.

- Downie's injury, I was looking forward to a healthy Downie this season.

Mehs... Barrie and Mitchell. Both made some great plays, both made some sloppy plays. Barrie's rush which led to a goal against is as much his fault as the forward that didn't slot back, he made a poor puck decision and as Rycroft said, didn't put himself in a position to stop Clifford by trying to go outside of him. Mitchell looked energetic and confident offensively, but he sucks on the PK and his passes aren't tape to tape, hurting his wing mates.

I would agree with almost all of this. I think I have to look at Mitchell as a plus though. He's bringing a lot more than I think we expected of him. Seemed talk is he would be "fighting" to not be scratched most games but right now is creating offense working hard and showing some surprising skill. I'd certainly rather have ROR in his spot, but he'll do the job for now.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I would agree with almost all of this. I think I have to look at Mitchell as a plus though. He's bringing a lot more than I think we expected of him. Seemed talk is he would be "fighting" to not be scratched most games but right now is creating offense working hard and showing some surprising skill. I'd certainly rather have ROR in his spot, but he'll do the job for now.

Fair enough, I'm probably judging him too harshly due to O'Reilly. I just hate him on the PK.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
To be honest with you I kinda dont want to see Johnson on the PP at all but then again who are we going to use. Johnson is not a PP QB yes he has a big shot but that means eff all if he cant get it past that first defender
He looks like he has no confidence right now on the PP. He came out for that one powerplay, blasted a shot right into the forward's shinpads, and then just line changed.

He can do everything well other than get his shot through. I think Sacco just needs to use him a bit differently. Or someone, for the love of God, pull him aside in practice and work with him on getting his shot through.

The more the game went on, the more I wish he had Liles type player for a partner. I still feel he needs someone super quick as a defense partner for him to look his best.

The Angry Teatowel

@AngryTeatowel
Aug 11, 2009
Kent, UK
www.eurolanche.com
Fair enough, I'm probably judging him too harshly due to O'Reilly. I just hate him on the PK.

I hate seeing the Highlander on the PK, Mitchell not so much (still early days for Mitchell on our PK and his face-off wins are needed) (and hey, Loney! been a while!)

Yeah, I saw that. I think he was stuck between two minds (hitting and just follow tightly) so he did neither.

The way he just slowly coasted in, kinda bent over, just made me laugh in disbelief!

Huis Clos*

New here but i agree 100% with ronaldo. When Barrie pinched down low on that play Stastny was the high forward and should have covered for him. Instead he decided to loaf back through the neutral zone forcing Barrie to hustle back and try to make a play.

I blame Stastny over Barrie on that goal every single time. And I'm actually a huge fan of Staz.

And you'd be wrong. Every time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad