Post-Game Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs. Los Angeles Kings - Jan. 22, 2013...part 2

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The problem with the Barrie play on the goal against was the low percentage play he made with the puck more than what happened afterwards.

Stastny moved down to help Barrie, so he didn't have a good defensive position and Barrie has to recognize that and just don't throw the puck away.

Avs are a young team and there are still a lot of possession no-no's going on. Missing the net too much, low percentage transition plays and we turn the puck over way too much to make line changes.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
And you'd be wrong. Every time.
No he wouldn't be. Barrie's play turns into a goal or a very good scoring opportunity instead of deflecting off a skate and turns back the other way for a 2-on-1 against us and we are not here having this discussion.

Barrie is in the line up to provide offense. Everybody here says that our defense need that and that's what Barrie tried to provide on that play. It is the forwards' job to cover for the dman when he is deep like that.

If Pap doesn't score his goal on EJ's pass and the play turns around and gives a 2-on-1 against us, people would be all over EJ for being that deep in the zone. However somebody was covering for him and the play turned into a goal and everything is good.

This team needs help from our D to score. EJ provided that. Barrie tried to as well. When you do that you are gonna get caught sometimes if the forwards don't cover. We did on that play. Turns out it was a rookie and he gets blamed for it.

The only mistake he did was as Rycroft said. He should have stayed in the inside and he would have been in a better position to break the play.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Best game Duchene has played in almost two years. That was nice to see. Also thought that line was showing more chemistry.

Johnson was having issues with the puck all night but played great defensively. There was a particular blocked shot on the PK against Doughty I remember.

Mitchell turning Doughty inside out was great.

What happened to Downie? I missed it as I was still trying to get to my seat

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I thought the best play of the night was Landeskog's takeaway to the keep the play in the zone on the PAP goal. It was a textbook takeaway that kept the puck in the zone and eventually led to a goal. He didn't get a point in that whole sequence, but that goal was directly caused by him (and a nice pass from EJ).

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The problem with the Barrie play on the goal against was the low percentage play he made with the puck more than what happened afterwards.

Stastny moved down to help Barrie, so he didn't have a good defensive position and Barrie has to recognize that and just don't throw the puck away.

Avs are a young team and there are still a lot of possession no-no's going on. Missing the net too much, low percentage transition plays and we turn the puck over way too much to make line changes.

Great points all around. We really make head scratching line changes sometimes because we finally clear the zone then just let the other team come back and attack us again due to a line change.

I've said before I hate how Sacco had this team running as a rushing offense (not to be confused with Comrade O'Reilly's Russian offensive) and that we needed to stop trying to score on the fly and start trying to hold the zone via possession plays. In the 3rd period every single goal came from sustained pressure.

I thought the best play of the night was Landeskog's takeaway to the keep the play in the zone on the PAP goal. It was a textbook takeaway that kept the puck in the zone and eventually led to a goal. He didn't get a point in that whole sequence, but that goal was directly caused by him (and a nice pass from EJ).

I still get goosebumps remembering that EJ block at the end of the game and Jones' snipe.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
gf8r.gif

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

Yep, Lando created that whole play and would have got a 3rd assist if one existed.. was nice to see him get back to his game last night after a sub par game in Minny

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Duchene secretly loves getting hockey bruises. He was giddy after his first fight in the NHL. I think he likes having to get stitched up because he took a puck to his face, especially after pretty much not even missing a shift.

Hell, he came back early last year just to help the team, despite not being able to perform as he should.

Some of the things he does on the ice are a bit annoying, but his head and heart are in the right place. He'll play through pain when asked.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If Downie is out, I hope they call up Sgarbossa and replace Bordeleau with Kobasew. Having a guy like Kobasew take away PK time for some of the top 6 guys would be nice.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I thought Duchene seemed more mature during his interview last night.

During training camp I got the impression everyone likes him more as well.
I also think it was mature to take that cheap contract to fast knowing he can be a better player and wanting to prove it instead of trying to use his one good season to cash in.

And I have to say, I really liked him killing penalties. I was pissed when I saw him out there at first. Shoulda give him a chance

Also, they're upgrading all the seats at the Pepsi center to nice black leatherish ones. Only they didn't get to my section… but they'd already taken out the old seats … $125 seats and we were sitting in metal folding chairs with no cup holders ( which caused my husband to spill beer on me THREE times) I was pretty pissed. Some guy ate it, too. Trying to climb to his seat.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
EJ's pass was nasty! Varly looked great and the top line played really really well. I just wish I could have been there to see it live, I bet the place was going nuts!! I mean for Landeskog to get the opening goal was simply amazing!!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yea I really want to see what Sgarbossa could bring to the team at the NHL level.

To this point their hasn't been a single thing that would lead you to believe Sgarbossa would be terrible in the NHL. He's been really good in every league he's played in for the last 3 years.

Thought Duchene and EJ were by far the 2 best players on the Ice last night. And between EJ, Duchene, and Varly the 3 carried this team on there back.

Duchene's line has some real good potential it looks like. PaP and Duchene have been clicking, and Landy has been steadily improving this year. That line could be scary good in a couple weeks.

Interesting that Stastnys line is the only negative line or pairing we have, and they're -3 each. Jones did score a real nice goal last night, but 5 on 5 they haven't looked great, and Stastny looked really bad on LA's only goal. If Stastny had kept skating back instead of going for a change or whatever he did, he probably could have stopped that goal.

Mitchell carried his line again, Hejduk didn't seem into the game, was invisible practically all night. Sucks Downie is hurt but I hope that leads to a Sgarbossa call up and spot on the 3rd line. He or Olver on the wing, which brigns me to the next thing.

Olver wont be an effective Center in the NHL, he's just to small and not strong enough to win draws. I still think he could be a solid 3rd line Winger, possibly even top 6 tweener, but he wont do it playing C.

McCleod is playing very good. He didn't deserve a penalty on the Quick situation in the 3rd, but at least they both went, so it wasn't that bad. He's been a very good gritty forward for us these first 2 games.

And finally Varlamov. Its funny how in the main board thread about Varly being a franchise goalie everyone is laughing at it(although mostly angry Caps fans, and homer nucks fans) and consider him below average, but he has been unreal for over a year now. Sv% since last all star break and the KHL stint is probably close to .940. If Varly finds consistency to his game, and he can play like he did last night and against Minny, we'll never truly be out of a game again.

This team has looked real good in its first 2 games. Even the loss to Minny could have just as easily been a win if we hit a couple empty nets and didn't take terrible penalties. Give the guys more time to gel and shake the early rust, and start firing on all cylinders and we could have a real good chance for playoffs.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'd much rather bring up Malone than Sgarbossa for lower line duty, especially as a center. Move Olver to wing and we'll be fine.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have said it before and I will continue saying it this season. Sgarbossa isn't quite ready for the NHL yet. He just doesn't have the strength to play his game yet. I have full confidence that he will get there in a year or so, but right now I think he would get dominated. If he is brought up there needs to be a backup plan.

Now if Downie is only out for a couple of weeks I don't see an issue giving him a few games just to see what he brings. Hopefully I would be wrong about above. I just don't want him brought up if Downie is out for a long period of time or the whole season without having a back up plan in case he falters. It would be bad for his development if he just got physically outmatched every game and got demoted to 4th line or scratched.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd much rather bring up Malone than Sgarbossa for lower line duty, especially as a center. Move Olver to wing and we'll be fine.

This might be the best solution. It allows Hejduk to move back to the right side, and Olver and be on the left of Mitchell. That and Malone could probably hold his own right now as a 4th line center and play a bit on the PK.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
If Downie is hurt long term. I'd love to see Mitchell centering Hejduk and Sgarbossa. I have been very impressed with Mitchell. He does what he is supposed to do very well and can provide a offensive touch with nice passing and speed.

• Love
Reactions: TheRarestDangles

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If Downie is hurt long term. I'd love to see Mitchell centering Hejduk and Sgarbossa. I have been very impressed with Mitchell. He does what he is supposed to do very well and can provide a offensive touch with nice passing and speed.

And the occasional Malkin-esque move hahah.

Mitchell has been very good. Extremely impressed with his performance so far.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011

I would agree with this move.

Sgarbossa should continue to get top line minutes in Lake Erie; rather than bottom-6 minutes and role in Colorado.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010

Agree 100%

Also, by the way Downie was favoring his leg (looked like instability not just pain), I'm concerned that he'll be out long term. Interested in hearing what the official word on the injury is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad