Post-Game Talk: Colorado Avalanche vs. Los Angeles Kings - Jan. 22, 2013...part 2

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If Downie is out for an extended time, I'd give anything for Sgarbossa to get a chance with Mitchell and Hejduk instead of Kobasew. I know its not likely to happen but you never know.

Sgarbossa probably isn't ready, but with the need for skill on that line Olver or Sgarbossa should be on that line. Either call up Malone or Sgarbossa to replace Downie IMO.

member 116861

Also we broke the Kings streak of being unbeaten in regulation when leading the game heading into the third period. That streak was 90+ games.

:yo:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What a game by Landeskog, he played like a true captain. Obviously he scored a big goal but he was hitting a lot, blocking every shot that he could and he made a ton of good defensive plays. There is still room for improvement offensively but I thought he played great on the other side of the puck and he was a lot better than he was on Saturday against the Wild.

Also a big game by Duchene, the guy was just explosive and that blocked shot was awesome. I don't know how many times he set up his teammates at the start of the 3rd before Landy finally scored.

Jones went into beast mode in the 3rd period. That shot was sick and it was our game winner. Also he was hitting a lot and they were big hits too plus he seems like he has regained his speed and is looking like the Jones of old. He also made that good play on the powerplay from the Johnson turnover where he rushed back and forced Clifford to rush his shot on his breakaway.

Stastny wasn't good offensively but I thought he was great defensively. The guy won so many 1 on 1 battles it reminded me of Brad Malone with the Monsters. Also the hustle he showed was awesome and he made some smart plays near the end of the game. How good was he on the faceoff dot? I don't know the stats but it seemed like he won every faceoff that he took.

He sure looked awesome on that goal against.

Not surprised Paul plays like a 4th liner now a days.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not worried about McGinn. He doesn't have to score to be effective in a top six role. He's a complimentary guy with a scoring touch.

He's great getting to pucks on the forecheck with his speed, and battles well in the corners. He's not lighting things on fire, but once he gets a few games under his belt, I hope the rust will come off a bit and he'll have a better feel for the puck on his stick.

I'm borderline shocked Duchene was able to turn things around in one game and finally use his line mates more, instead if skating away by himself or holding on to the puck too long. He's realizing how good Landeskog can be at holding off players with the puck, and this opens up ice for Duchene.

PAP is really starting to settle in too. Slowing things down with the puck and waiting for guys to get open. Really kinda surprised it only took these guys two games to get to where they're at. I thought it'd take a month or so. Another couple weeks going in this direction and we might actually have a legit #1 line.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How about Sykora if Downie is out for a long time?

How about ROR?! :naughty:

Varlamov is the MVP of the short season already. He kept us in this game, bar-none.

Lol and all the posters saying Duchene sucks, he was again one of the best forwards tonight.

I also hate the Zanon-Barrie pair, omfg.

ROB - Hejda were legit tonight.

member 116861

He sure looked awesome on that goal against.

Not surprised Paul plays like a 4th liner now a days.

How was that a bad play? He let Barrie take Clifford and he was covering up top in case of a guy trailing behind the play. Also I doubt you have seen Malone play this year so I won't comment on the last part.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I also hate the Zanon-Barrie pair, omfg.

ROB - Hejda were legit tonight.

Barrie made some mistakes, but I thought played decent, he got involved in the play a few times, I think games like these are great where he can make mistakes and we still come out on top will do well for his nerves and confidence. We need him in the lineup, although Id like to get Hunwick a few games and get some competition going.

ROB & Hejda always seem to compensate, but their combined footspeed is atrocious. It always makes me so nervous.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
How was that a bad play? He let Barrie take Clifford and he was covering up top in case of a guy trailing behind the play. Also I doubt you have seen Malone play this year so I won't comment on the last part.

He stopped skating that's how it was a bad play.

That last comment was a shot at Stastny rather than Malone. Would've I been right if I said he plays like a 3rd liner now a days?

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
Great game, I'd like to see less shots taken in so quickly. It seems whenever the Avs get a rush they take the shot really far from the net, if you don't have a good one slow it up and get a drive going.

Other than that, I've gotta say Duchene showed me more in this one game then he did all last season.. McNab hit on it a bit but the strength is obviously improved and his speed combined with some strength is going to be deadly, but taking that puck and coming back was really great. Showed me a lot.

Landeskog played like a beast, leader, and captain, aka, another day in the office for Landy...

PAP had a really nice performance again, you can tell their line is starting to click and could be really dangerous.

Great game, great win!

member 116861

He stopped skating that's how it was a bad play.

That last comment was a shot at Stastny rather than Malone. Would've I been right if I said he plays like a 3rd liner now a days?

It was a shot at Malone as well and it was wrong because the kid has been really good in the AHL. You're hate for Stastny is more obvious than my hate for SOB.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Why do people discuss Paul Stastny with Ronaldo? After the first 100 biased comments from him, you should have caught on that it's rather meaningless.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It was a shot at Malone as well and it was wrong because the kid has been really good in the AHL. You're hate for Stastny is more obvious than my hate for SOB.

Nope, unlike you I actually want Stastny to succeed and if he ever gets back to his old self I would be estatic. You just want SOB gone even if he was a norris winning defenseman.

As for Malone, meh if he ever makes it into the NHL it's a win. I've only seen him in the nhl a couple of times, he doesn't look much more than a 3rd liner and that's not an insult at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Anyone else want to see Barrie and EJ paired together on the powerplay? Barrie should do like Liles did, and roam everywhere. He's so quick and agile, but to do that he needs to know he's got a guy back who could handle a 2 on 1. Might even open a shot lane for Johnson to get a shot through.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why do you even post sometimes? :laugh:

I think it's past your bedtime.

Why do people discuss Paul Stastny with Ronaldo? After the first 100 biased comments from him, you should have caught on that it's rather meaningless.

The guy said he was great defensively which I disagreed with. Stastny stopped skating even after Barrie went down and it ended up a goal. **** I feel like avsboy. Thankfully, there's 46+ games for Stastny to prove me wrong lets hope that's the case. Night all.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Really fun game to go to.

My quick thoughts :

- Duchene looked great the whole game. He was pretty much our only source of offense in the 1st period.
- Varly kept us in the game when it was 1-0 Kings
- John Mitchell actually looks really good IMO. A underrated and great addition to the team
- Does anyone know how long Downie is out?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
McGinn just isn't a top 6 forward. He is a flash in the pan.

I know that may be too early an assessment but he just isn't doing anything out there.

Yeah, nobody likes 20 goal, 200 hit, fast wingers who drive the net like a menace.

It's game two of a shortened season with everybody on different levels. You're choosing to take the two game sample size over a 25 game sample size where he lit it up for us.

As always, you want to be negative. Just relax.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Dammit Ronaldo is getting too much hate for his Stastny hate.

Duchene is a wuss. Pft, who goes to the locker room for that. :sarcasm: TRADE HIM FOR BOGOSIAN!!

The universe needs some balance.

Kitchen Sink

Jul 13, 2011
Ohio
New here but i agree 100% with ronaldo. When Barrie pinched down low on that play Stastny was the high forward and should have covered for him. Instead he decided to loaf back through the neutral zone forcing Barrie to hustle back and try to make a play.

I blame Stastny over Barrie on that goal every single time. And I'm actually a huge fan of Staz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad