GDT: Colorado Avalanche vs Anaheim Ducks: Flying aVs Edition

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Umm. How can you look at that replay and arrive at the conclusion that Jost didn't mess that up. It's pretty apparent that he himself bobbled it while trying to stick handle. Is the whole result of this game on him? No but for the love of everything holy if this and the failed 2 on 0 aren't costly mistakes, I don't know what is. Getting that puck on net in whatever fashion or pushing it wide would have been infinitely better than what he did there.

Shooting the puck at a bad angle and missing the net is one of the worst things you can do in OT, it's exactly what led to our '2 on 0'.

If there's anyone people should be complaining about, it should be Girard. Blows a complete 2 on 0 by going solo, and trying to block a shot from the blue line with 2 seconds left which directly resulted in a goal.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Umm. How can you look at that replay and arrive at the conclusion that Jost didn't mess that up. It's pretty apparent that he himself bobbled it while trying to stick handle. Is the whole result of this game on him? No but for the love of everything holy if this and the failed 2 on 0 aren't costly mistakes, I don't know what is. Getting that puck on net in whatever fashion or pushing it wide would have been infinitely better than what he did there.

This is the 2 on 0 btw.

Jost is a minute into his shift in OT (started at 2:42) and has to pick the puck off the wall on his backhand and send a pass to G in stride for a clear breakaway, while avoiding the linesman who's in his way.

If G would have held up a bit at the blueline they might have had a 2 on 0 (hard to tell), but since he took the breakaway, Jost moved to the middle of the ice to get body position on the backchecker for any potential rebound for himself or Girard.

giphy.gif

Reactions: avsfan09

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
You'll just blame Jost no matter what right? It's Jost's fault the Avs lost right?

Yes that's exactly what I was saying. :shakehead Thanks for proving which one of us is letting bias color our analysis.

Hmm. Nobody pinned this loss on Jost and you jumped in with a dramatic "oh so its all Josts fault we lost!?" strawman and then you criticize someone for doing the same thing to you with your Forsberg comment.

Self-awareness, thy name is foppa...

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hey Fellas, long time lurker, first time poster. LONG time lurker in the sense that I remember posters like "Grandlund2Pulkinen" or whatever.. Hopefully some of you remember..

Anyway, I typically come here due to the fact that i'm a long time Avs fan and always enjoy the differing perspectives from all of you, the posters. As a rabid Avs fan, reading our GTD's is pretty much dessert for myself after the game. That being said, you guys drive me bonkers with posts like this.. This year especially. This fan base is unbelievably critical of it's team and players to the point of it being unbearable (so much so that I created a darn account to address it haha.)

In what world do a lot of you live in where you're actually going to sit here and be hyper critical of how a rolling puck was handled on ice that had already been played on for 64 minutes? The whole "what level of hockey did you play" thing is an annoying and sometimes egotistical thing to bring up but is also sometimes warranted.. This kind of stuff happens ALL of the time in hockey regardless of the player and I guarantee that there isn't a single person in that locker room that is placing the blame on that play specifically. In response to the poster that I am quoting, when a puck is rolling like that you almost always try to get on top of the puck while on your forehand. If you've played hockey at all, you know exactly what i'm talking about. Jost clearly tries to do that and that the puck keeps rolling on him.. It's a game of bounces and in that high speed, high pressure situation the puck just didn't settle down for him. To sit here and act like he did anything wrong there is absurd. He could have just as easily opted to to rip a shot on that rolling puck and it go wide. Again, it's hockey, regardless of the skill level we're sometimes at the mercy of inches and bounces (see Rickard's goal.)

All in all, love you fellas. But for the love of God, we're talking about our beloved team that went from making the playoffs on the final game of the season the last two years to being two points way from being atop the western conference in a season where we were absolutely decimated by injuries.

Can we hop of our high horses a little bit and enjoy it?

Cheers!
Post more often please haha. we need more of this thinking around here imo.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Hey Fellas, long time lurker, first time poster. LONG time lurker in the sense that I remember posters like "Grandlund2Pulkinen" or whatever.. Hopefully some of you remember..

Anyway, I typically come here due to the fact that i'm a long time Avs fan and always enjoy the differing perspectives from all of you, the posters. As a rabid Avs fan, reading our GTD's is pretty much dessert for myself after the game. That being said, you guys drive me bonkers with posts like this.. This year especially. This fan base is unbelievably critical of it's team and players to the point of it being unbearable (so much so that I created a darn account to address it haha.)

In what world do a lot of you live in where you're actually going to sit here and be hyper critical of how a rolling puck was handled on ice that had already been played on for 64 minutes? The whole "what level of hockey did you play" thing is an annoying and sometimes egotistical thing to bring up but is also sometimes warranted.. This kind of stuff happens ALL of the time in hockey regardless of the player and I guarantee that there isn't a single person in that locker room that is placing the blame on that play specifically. In response to the poster that I am quoting, when a puck is rolling like that you almost always try to get on top of the puck while on your forehand. If you've played hockey at all, you know exactly what i'm talking about. Jost clearly tries to do that and that the puck keeps rolling on him.. It's a game of bounces and in that high speed, high pressure situation the puck just didn't settle down for him. To sit here and act like he did anything wrong there is absurd. He could have just as easily opted to to rip a shot on that rolling puck and it go wide. Again, it's hockey, regardless of the skill level we're sometimes at the mercy of inches and bounces (see Rickard's goal.)

All in all, love you fellas. But for the love of God, we're talking about our beloved team that went from making the playoffs on the final game of the season the last two years to being two points way from being atop the western conference in a season where we were absolutely decimated by injuries.

Can we hop off of our high horses a little bit and enjoy it?

Cheers!
Can't blame the loss on Jost individually, but I will say, I frickin' guarantee you that if ANY opponent had the exact same chance in OT against the Avs with 10 seconds left...they score! This "we just gotta find a way to lose in OT" is money in the bank over & over & over & over again. Why? Who knows?

And if you wanna assign guilt for this loss, I'd say, can a defenseman get any clumsier, lazy & stupid than Nikita Zadorov was on the Ducks 3 regulation goals? Dude is simply brain dead half the time.

Reactions: missionAvs

Gobbily Goop

Mar 5, 2020
This is the 2 on 0 btw.

Jost is a minute into his shift in OT (started at 2:42) and has to pick the puck off the wall on his backhand and send a pass to G in stride for a clear breakaway, while avoiding the linesman who's in his way.

If G would have held up a bit at the blueline they might have had a 2 on 0 (hard to tell), but since he took the breakaway, Jost moved to the middle of the ice to get body position on the backchecker for any potential rebound for himself or Girard.

giphy.gif

That puck is rolling too.. I came away from that play most impressed with the pass from Jost hitting Girard in stride on his backhand with a rolling puck. What Jost does thereafter is pretty standard. It's some cheeky interference to ensure that Girard doesn't get caught from behind. Girard's in alone from the blue.. Jost could be busting his balls, calling for the puck at the top of his lungs.. Girard ain't passing that..

Gobbily Goop

Mar 5, 2020
Can't blame the loss on Jost individually, but I will say, I frickin' guarantee you that if ANY opponent had the exact same chance in OT against the Avs with 10 seconds left...they score! This "we just gotta find a way to lose in OT" is money in the bank over & over & over & over again. Why? Who knows?

And if you wanna assign guilt for this loss, I'd say, can a defenseman get any clumsier, lazy & stupid than Nikita Zadorov was on the Ducks 3 regulation goals? Dude is simply brain dead half the time.

Come on, man. Watch any SO on any given night and you're seeing the puck go wide after rolling on the shooter time and time again. It happens.

My point is this.. We're watching this team find ways to WIN a lot this season. So much so that at this point watching a puck roll on one of our guys in a game where we already collected a point after icing a team that is full of AHL guys is almost amusing. We ain't going 82-0. What exactly are we expecting night in and night out? Perfection?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Can we hop off of our high horses a little bit and enjoy it?

Cheers!

Post more often. I was a long-time lurker before I started posting too. It’s fun to chat with other Avs fans and what better time than now. The team is looking amazing.

Reactions: Balthazar

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
You guys need to learn about hockey. This is embarrassing.

Go back and watch the hilites. Getzlaf skates back like a manic and checks Jost's stick. The puck bobbled a bit when Jost went to his forehard but it still landed on his stick and he would have had a quality chance.

As Getzlaf lifted his stick the puck went into the corner off one of their skates and Rackell is there to get it in the corner, go end to end and Girard was an idiot for sticking his stick out.

To blame that on Jost is absurd. If anything Getzlaf won that with a fantastic defensive effort and was a main reason I wanted him on this team. Dudes a stud and is tough. He would have been perfect for us.

And did I seriously see someone in here blaming Girard for trying to score on a breakaway and he should have held up waiting for a 2 on 0?? Jesus christ

Miller was unreal tonight. He stopped about 4 quality chances in OT and we hit 2 posts (4 in the game) It happens. Get over it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hmm. Nobody pinned this loss on Jost and you jumped in with a dramatic "oh so its all Josts fault we lost!?" strawman and then you criticize someone for doing the same thing to you with your Forsberg comment.

Self-awareness, thy name is foppa...

Speaking of names, yours is fitting since you have the reading comprehension and analysis of a goat.

You somehow managed to miss the shitstorm of negativity and blame for Jost not handling the bouncing puck on the breakaway after they lost the game, and turned me citing Forsberg being overly critical of himself into "Jost != Forsberg."

tenor.gif

Reactions: nightonthesun

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Well, where to begin...

1. I never blamed the loss on Jost. I blamed this terrible play on Jost, because it was a terrible play.
2. Correct, doesn't matter if the ice "wasn't good." I'm not going to blame the puck or the ice. Sorry, that's just how I roll. No pun intended!
3. Getzlaf didn't make some impressive play, he was sorta flailing. But no matter what, you have to put that on net. Period. If you don't that's on you.. er... Jost.

But again, I'm not too sad by the loss, and have already said as much. We still control our destiny in the west, so no big deal. But Jost doesn't get a pass here. It was a terrible play. Need to just own it and move on.

Lol. First time watching hockey?

Getzlaf didn't make an impressive play? Are you kidding me? Back to school kid.

Reactions: nightonthesun

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sometimes you get unlucky. Against Carolina we were lucky af. Tonight we were unlucky but still managed a point. 82 game season these things happen. For the people blaming Jost I mean sheesh. I get it hes been the whipping boy for awhile now and I joined in on that and was happy to do so because he was trash but hes played good the last 5 games. Multi point game tonight for those not paying attention and he also worked his ass off winning puck battles against a big team. Have to give credit where its due. If Girard doesnt back off and let Rackell let one off we might have gotten to a shootout and we might have gotten 2 points. We were very unlucky tonight and we have several guys who cant score on a free hooker.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Come on, man. Watch any SO on any given night and you're seeing the puck go wide after rolling on the shooter time and time again. It happens.

My point is this.. We're watching this team find ways to WIN a lot this season. So much so that at this point watching a puck roll on one of our guys in a game where we already collected a point after icing a team that is full of AHL guys is almost amusing. We ain't going 82-0. What exactly are we expecting night in and night out? Perfection?
As I said earlier, I'm not blaming Jost for the loss. He had a great chance in OT and whiffed on a rolling puck. It happens all the time to players, but seemingly never against an Avs opponent if they find themselves with a glorious chance in the dying seconds of OT. They bury it, and the Avs get saddled with yet another OT loss. And yeah, I'm proud as hell of the Avs for staying on the heels of the Blues all season long, and playing their best, most tenacious hockey with an injury-riddled lineup. But man oh man, I'm getting real tired of this team throwing away points in OT which are there for the taking, and which would give them home ice advantage thru the playoffs. Granted, OT is usually a coin toss--even for the worst teams, but not the Avs. They just don't know how to win 3 on 3. Even if they get breakaways & point blank shots, they just CANNOT break thru this mental impediment of flubbing up in OT that has cursed them for several seasons now. And it's gonna burn 'em come playoff time in a game 7 in Dallas or St. Louis. Mark my words.

Reactions: missionAvs

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Do you ever wonder why people attack your posts and have you on ignore?

No. I could care less.

It is embarrassing seeing some of the posts in here from people who have no clue about the game. I say it how it is. It's not my fault you guys get all sensitive and butt hurt.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
So the new gameplan is to tank the rest of the season to get 8th seed so we DON'T have home ice advantage, right? :thumbu:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I didn't get to watch the game tonight but judging by the reactions here we must have lost 8-0 and be currently on an 8 game losing streak.

Seriously, we were just on a 7 game winning streak and lost this one in the last second of OT and got a point with like 7 key injuries, let's step away from the ledge a bit.

Reactions: avspatti

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Losing against Anaheim on their 2nd half of a B2B with 1 sconde left in OT hurts..... But hey, I´m glad no one got hurt. Our injuries this season are a nightmare. I can´t remember other teams beside maybe Pittsburgh or the Islanders that have so many players go down one after another..... And still we are fighting tooth and nails an win games. And we still give the Blues a run for their money.... Everything fine.

Let´s just secure home-ice against Dallas in the playoffs and hope that Mac stays healthy and, most important, everyone is back for the playoffs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't really get the Jost hate for last night either tbh. And I'm sure everyone is aware of my thoughts on Jost :laugh:

On the "2 on 0" chance.... Jost was at the end of a long defensive shift. He was gassed. And Girard was full speed flying through the neutral zone all alone. Without question Jost made the right play here and in 3 on 3 OT where bad changes often cost you the game, he made the right play getting off the ice when he could.

And for the 2nd chance.... Ya you'd like to see Jost get a shot on net if nothing else, but bad ice is a thing, and sometimes other guys just make great plays. Getzlaf made a great play to get back in time and get his stick on Josts stick.

Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other team. Miller was absolutely phenomenal, and the Avs got very unlucky in a game they certainly deserved to win. If any one of those 5-6 post shots happened to go post and in instead of post and out, we're on an 8 game winning stream now.

But that's hockey and that's why the games are actually played instead or just run in a simulation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad